IGNORED

The PS2 controller adapter got me thinking...

Shawn

How would you want the buttons mapped?

PlayStation-DualShock.jpg

GC0102B-3.jpg

They would all get mapped somewhere and it was said to be able to control both the player 1 and player 2 ports on the 7800 machine so

the most obvious thing would be to have the left analog stick be the directional control for player one and the right analog do the same for player 2. But how about all them buttons? Where and what would YOU want them to be if you got pick\what makes the most sense to maximize it's functionality?

Shawn

For the buttons, X probably should be the left fire button since it's the primary button while square should be the right fire button. Repeat the same for the other two buttons that should be mapped to joystick port #2's buttons.

And like the right analog stick for twin stick games like Robotron 2084, the shoulder buttons should also be mapped to the 4 directions of the 2nd joystick since some games over the years have used the 2nd joystick for what amounts to additional buttons (Defender II leaps to mind).

Edited by Atariboy

For the buttons, X probably should be the left fire button since it's the primary button while square should be the right fire button. Repeat the same for the other two buttons that should be mapped to joystick port #2's buttons.

And like the right analog stick for twin stick games like Robotron 2084, the shoulder buttons should also be mapped to the 4 directions of the 2nd joystick since some games over the years have used the 2nd joystick for what amounts to additional buttons (Defender II leaps to mind).

Ya that sounds about right to me also aside from the shoulder buttons. I think I'd rather L1,R1 as 1 and 2 for player one and L2, R2 as 1 and 2 for player 2.

Nevermind, I forgot that both buttons for both ports is not possible. 1&2 for port 1, and then button 1 for port 2. The whole thing can only have 11 outputs so the 4 directions for p1, the 4 directions for p2, 2 buttons for p1 and then 1 button for p2 is the full 11 outputs the controller adapter can handle.

How would you want the buttons mapped?

Ergonomically, holding the controller in the natural position of the hand and using your right thumb (Presuming common use of a PS2 pad)...

Button 1/Left button should be Square and Triangle (Tip of thumb usage).

Button 2/Right button should be X and O (Closer to palm usage).

If someone were using their pointer and middle fingers from their right hand instead (Presuming common use of a [PS2] Arcade joystick)...

Button 1/Left button should be Square and X.

Button 2/Right button should be Triangle and O.

Ergonomically, holding the controller in the natural position of the hand and using your right thumb (Presuming common use of a PS2 pad)...

Button 1/Left button should be Square and Triangle (Tip of thumb usage).

I think you'll find that the vast majority of games utilize X (Or B in the case of Nintendo and A for Microsoft and the Dreamcast), as the primary button of the 4. Rectangle is usually used for the 2nd most important function.

Seems only logical that the primary button on the 7800 controller utilize the same button for maximum comfort.

Edited by Atariboy

I think you'll find that the vast majority of games utilize X (Or B in the case of Nintendo and A for Microsoft and the Dreamcast), as the primary button of the 4. Rectangle is usually used for the 2nd most important function.

Seems only logical that the primary button on the 7800 controller utilize the same button for maximum comfort.

Definitely see and understand that for modern consoles.

I guess I'm more old school taken from the arcades and the original NES controllers - buttons read left to right. Your first button primary is always to the left and the secondary was to the right of it. For example, as in side scrolling games, the NES 'B' or left button was your primary fire/shoot/run and the NES 'A' button to the right was your secondary or jump button. The more modern method is opposite that style.

Answering Shawn's question, "...Where and what would YOU want them to be if you got pick\what makes the most sense to maximize it's functionality?" Keeping the above and ergonomics in mind, what I stated makes most sense for maximum functionality, familiarity, and comfort, for me.

The style (left to right instead of right to left) makes further sense (to me), when you look at a typical PS2 arcade joystick, as I stated earlier in my second preference:

Button 1/Left button should be Square and X.

Button 2/Right button should be Triangle and O.

post-18-0-10382800-1414514161_thumb.jpg

The leftmost buttons (Square and X) are your 1/left button of the 7800.

The ones next to them, on the right (Triangle and O) are your 2/right button of the 7800.

My first preference would still also work in this case, just in a top to bottom matter.

Going with the more modern console layout would place button 1 on the bottom, and button 2 on the top, arguably the least desirable of layouts. Regardless, it's a matter of personal preference. :)

• Like 1