IGNORED

Stuart's TI-99/4A - Internet Web Browser

Omega-TI

The fragmentation may be less of a problem if we force unfragmented transmission (flag "Don't Fragment" in the IP header). I noticed that later when I analyzed real network traffic; most of the packets have this bit set. Still, when we have implementing a TCP/IP stack in mind, we tend to imply some parallelism in the programming (receive frames / datagrams while the application is running). We would need to have a proper interrupt handling. The Geneve may be much better with that since we can modify the interrupt handler if needed, but the TI console interrupt handler is notoriously useless for that. If we don't want to rely on interrupt handling we would have to do polling. This is going to become pretty ugly.

But all thoughts and suggestions are welcome! Maybe we can finish it after all.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1

To all TI chess players,

I have released version 1.1, and it has a lot of fixes in it. You can now actually end the game :) I still am working on some of the logic, but for now, you can end a match by conceding that you are in checkmate, players can agree to end a match in a stalemate or draw. You can also resign from a match, which will give the win to your opponent. I cleaned up several of the screens and made the text more clear, hopefully.

Please send me a note if you find any problems of any kind.

I should note that I'm using version 8.2 of Stuart's browser which allows for larger pages (in bytes) to be displayed. If you're using lesser versions, you'll want to upgrade as soon as he publishes version 8.2 to his site.

If you'd like to join our chess community and you already have your TI on the web, visit myti99.com and create an account.

Thanks,

Corey.

--- Ω ---, on 14 Feb 2016 - 1:31 PM, said:

but I'm afraid the game I'm in with Stuart is going to end poorly for me. I think he's about ready to show me the door. I can play, but I never claimed to be any good.

Omega was the victor on this one. Well played! Or can I argue that I was in a rush to test the 'end match' code? ;-) ;-)

Stuart.

• Like 2

Omega was the victor on this one. Well played! Or can I argue that I was in a rush to test the 'end match' code? ;-) ;-)

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I really enjoyed that game, it was a nail biter there for awhile. I was thinking, "Damn this guy's goooood." In the end, I think I just got lucky and it managed to work out. Thanks for a great game.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 9 now released and available for download at http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser.

Any problems, questions or bugs, let me know.

Stuart

======

*Version 9 Changes

*-- Added tags <input></input> and <submit></submit>.
*-- Added tag <timeout>.
*-- Added tag <tone>.
*-- Added browser version number to User-Agent parameter.
*-- If sprite pointer at very top of screen and <Fire> button or <Enter> key pressed, this now scrolls the screen up.
*-- Ditto if sprite pointer at very bottom of screen - scrolls the screen down.
*-- Increased the maximum URL length to 100 characters. (The maximum length of the host name part of the URL
* remains at 50 characters.)
*-- Modified URL history buffer so that duplicate entries are not added to the buffer.

• Like 3

Vorticon,

I didn't use their software at all, but instead plugged them into my network and ran NMAP ( see what new devices appeared on my network and were handed IP addresses from my DHCP server.

(I am a UNIX guy who only begrudgingly uses windows) NMAP does work with Windows and Mac as well.

On my linux server I ran: nmap -v -sP 192.168.0.0/24

This showed me a new host, in my case: 192.168.0.248, and I just telnet'ed to it like this: telnet 192.168.0.248 9999

I went through Stuart's setup instructions here: http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser

and configured the UDS-10 and it worked fine, after sorting out the serial cables. One thing to note: I have 3 of these gadgets, and two of them do NOT support 2 stop bits (I/F Mode: FC) but they still work OK with 1 stop bit or whatever it defaulted to when I attempted to set it to FC.

Edit: You should be able to NMAP and telnet with Windows, if that's your platform. I've had to install telnet separately when I use Windows as they've (stupidly IMHO) taken it out of the normal stuff that gets installed with Windows. Telnet is such a wonderfully useful "is this network service listening?" troubleshooting program and it's what, 100K in size?

/end rant.

Edited by ElectricLab

A new UDS10 would retrieve an IP from your local DHCP-Server.

Then you can go "there" via HTTP and change it to a fixed IP.

If your used device has an unknown fixed IP, I would try to factory reset it.

This should work on a serial connection, i.e. COM1 from PC/Windows.

Just HyperTerm it, 9600 8N1 noFlowControl.

Then power the UDS down, power it up again, and if the RED diag-LED blinks,

you have 1 (!) second time to press the lower "x" 3 times to get in setup-mode (all in HyperTerm)

(Or just hold the "x" down while powering the UDS-10)

IIRC you get a menu, "0" was for "ServerConfig", and then "7" was the "Facory Reset".

Then, if re-powered up again, just watch your DHCP-Server for the new IP-address.

(Or just directly try to change the IP-config, once you are in the serial setup-menu with HyperTerm :) )

But I do not remember the exact way, I have to see it on the screen :) But it´s "easy".

If you got this all, DO NOT forget to flash your firmware the the latest version (!!)

good luck

Well I have a fatal problem it seems: I used shmitzi's instructions to access the UDS-10, and it turns out that it only allows networks starting with 192.168... There does not seem to be a way to change that via the configuration menu and there is no option to use DHCP either, at least not via the serial link.

no factory reset possible ?

There seems to be no option for it. I wonder if the firmware for the units I have is a custom one for whatever original applications they were used for. I'm going to see if there is a way I can update the firmware somehow.

Vorticon, on 05 Mar 2016 - 7:14 PM, said:

There seems to be no option for it. I wonder if the firmware for the units I have is a custom one for whatever original applications they were used for. I'm going to see if there is a way I can update the firmware somehow.

Is there not a reset 'button' by the Ethernet connector? Push a paper-clip into the hole sort of thing? Clearly labelled as 'Reset' on mine.

The firmware file on the ftp site is a binary file. To flash the firmaware using the serial connection, I need the .HEX file (ASCII) which I can't seem to find.

EDIT: I converted the binary file to ASCII HEX. Unfortunately, the UDS-10 monitor hangs when I enter the DL (download) command.

I'm out of ideas at this point... It should not be that hard to set this up.