IGNORED

Stuart's TI-99/4A - Internet Web Browser

Omega-TI

Arcadeshopper to the rescue! (again!)

I now have version 2.7.3 of Python installed from that site.

Here's hoping it has the capabilities needed to use the TI browser.

Sometime, we've really gotta get you set up for file transfer on a version of Windows from this millennium. :)

How does the FAVS file work? Is it a text document that can be edited? I see the browsers looks at DSK1 when I press a key but fails to find anything.

http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser

It is a D/V80 file, that looks like it can contain any 99ml markup. The browser looks for it at DSK.BROWSER.FAVS, so by diskname.

I hex-edited my browser, so it would look for HDX1.BROWSE.FAVS ...

There is an example of the file in the .DSK image that Stuart makes available.

-M@

How does the FAVS file work? Is it a text document that can be edited? I see the browsers looks at DSK1 when I press a key but fails to find anything.

Yes, but you need to edit it with the Editor/Assembler editor, because programs like TI-Writer & BA-Writer leave gibberish at the end of the file which renders it useless. You're lucky now though, because Matt (JediMatt) recently made an 80 column version of the editor for the FlashROM99, so those with F18A's can "edit in style"! I gotta tell ya, that file is a whole lot easier to edit in 80 columns without all the wrap around stuff driving you nuts. You can get that by clicking << HERE >>.

Truthfully, without a FAVS file, that browser can be a pain in the arse to use, however with a customized FAVS file, it's fast & fun to play with. I've posted the video below before, but you get the idea of how fast a FAVS file speeds things up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1bYJDqDQE

• Like 1

... You're lucky now though, because Matt (JediMatt) recently made an 80 column version of the editor for the FlashROM99, so those with F18A's can "edit in style"! ...

That was all Fred's hard work, I just did the peanut butter and chocolate thing.

Truthfully, without a FAVS file, that browser can be a pain in the arse to use, however with a customized FAVS file, it's fast & fun to play with. I've posted the video below before, but you get the idea of how fast a FAVS file speeds things up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1bYJDqDQE

I've been meaning to ask, in the video, it looks like you captured links that take you directly to the chat or webmail without going through the login page.. Can you describe your recipe for those links? Or have you already?

-M@

jedimatt42, on 15 Jun 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

I've been meaning to ask, in the video, it looks like you captured links that take you directly to the chat or webmail without going through the login page.. Can you describe your recipe for those links? Or have you already?

That's covered on Corey's page http://myti99.com/.

Basically you want a link of the form: www.myti99.com/cg.pl?u=TI99FAN&p=1234 - where in this case the username is 'TI99FAN' and the password is '1234'.

Also, from my webpage:

Favourites List

The program supports a list of favourites, which is displayed by pressing the I key. This loads and renders the contents of the file DSK.BROWSER.FAVS. This is written/edited by the user using (for example) the E/A Editor, and saved in 'Variable 80' format. The file contains text and tags for hyperlinks to the user's favourite pages - it is in effect a web page stored on the disk. As well as hyperlinks, the page can contain any graphics or character definitions desired by the user. Long lines of text/tags can be split across several lines in the file. A sample file is included on the disk.

• Like 1

Cschneider, on 07 Jun 2016 - 9:10 PM, said:Cschneider, on 07 Jun 2016 - 9:10 PM, said:

Stuart,

You are correct. all I had to do was change the 'COM3' in the script to the correct USB Serial device and it works. For me it was '/dev/ttyUSB0'

works perfectly..

Chris, did you try the script on the Pi when downloading large pages such as the Chess board page or the Elite graphics demo? I'm trying it on a Pi 2 and some of the large pages aren't downloading fully on the TI. Wondering if you get the same problem. Works fine on the PC.

Stuart.

Edited by Stuart

Chris, did you try the script on the Pi when downloading large pages such as the Chess board page or the Elite graphics demo? I'm trying it on a Pi 2 and some of the large pages aren't downloading fully on the TI. Wondering if you get the same problem. Works fine on the PC.

Stuart.

no i did not try the larger pages. Let me try it and i'll post back. I'll be trying it on a Pi3 Model B, so if it works ok, then it could be because of the processor speed.

Does anyone know if the LOCAL WEATHER APP for Stuart's Internet Browser has been fixed yet?

If so, could someone please post the URL here so I can update my FAVS file when I get home from work tonight?

Thanks!

gallery_35324_1027_6467.jpg

It's still not working (unless it has magically started working). The site that the weather data is taken from needs you to register and embed a 'secret' in the URL used to access it. For some reason, that stopped working. Haven't had time to look into it properly yet.

It's still not working (unless it has magically started working). The site that the weather data is taken from needs you to register and embed a 'secret' in the URL used to access it. For some reason, that stopped working. Haven't had time to look into it properly yet.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I know your busy. Who knows someone else may beat you to the punch.

Have added to my website an idiot's guide to using a Raspberry Pi as a serial-to-Ethernet adaptor, instead of a Lantronix.

http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#python_script

I have the lnatronix but haven't gotten it powered up and connected to the TI yet--don't have the right serial cable here. Anyway, I'm very interested in doing this and other things with the Raspberry Pi. I've started helping IvanX with Raspple II and kinda envision something like that for the TI.

• 4 months later...

This might have been asked, or I am doing something wrong but...

Can you just put an ip address into the adress bar. I am testing something utilizing a local webserver, that the script on your server that resolves DNS does not know about.

No, I don't think that is supported. I believe it will try to do DNS lookup on the address as though it were a name. I suppose Stuart could modify his server-side code to properly return the IP address back to the browser in this case.

So.....Are you doing some web dev work for the TI? I'll gladly share what I've learned doing so on myti99.com.

• Like 1

I've done some simple page making. I'm just toying around.. I don't want to share too many details.. People get excited... I have a real job, other hobbies, other issues, and don't want to be making vaperware.. heheheh :D

Very cool. I look forward to seeing what you make. If you need a place to host pages, I can provide space on myti99.com. At the very least, when you have stuff ready for prime time, we should make a webring of sorts to bring it all together.

• Like 1