IGNORED

Stuart's TI-99/4A - Internet Web Browser

Omega-TI

Sounds great! One nitpick I have with text input in the browser is how slow it is in processing typed characters, which makes for really slow typing. Is there a way to improve on that?

I agree, and it seems a little slower now with the large text area where you can navigate the cursor around. I wonder if it can be sped up, but I'm not nearly as skilled as people like Stuart with TI Assembly.

• 2 months later...

About time I updated this thread ... Version 9.1 has been out for a while now and is available for download on my website http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser. A bit of a scare that I had messed things up due to the connection problems reported in this thread - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252118-stuarts-internet-browser-help/ - it seems that the Lantronix works better with some ISPs than others, but luckily found a setting on the Lantronix to tweak that seems to fix the connection problems for good. ;-)

Any problems, questions or bugs, let me know.

Stuart

======

*Version 9.1 Changes

*-- Changed RS-232 port configuration from 8E2 to 8N1 and to 38400 Baud, the same configuration the Lantronix needs to access the recent TI bulletin boards.
*-- Made <input> fields fully editable. Control keys are:
* TI-99/4A Function
* <Fctn>-S Move cursor left
* <Fctn>-D Move cursor right
* <Fctn>-3 (ERASE) Backspaces over the character before the cursor
* <Fctn>-1 (DELete) Deletes character under the cursor
* <Fctn>-2 (INSert) Insert a space at the current cursor position
*-- "?" character in an <input> field is now encoded to "%3F" in the URL.
*-- Added tag <submit-nh> (which is also paired with the existing </submit> tag).
*-- Changed TI-99 disk image to DSDD size.
*-- Changed server for looking up IP address to 64.37.52.172, www.stuartconner.me.uk, /tibrowser/gethostbyname.php. Updated addresses in FAVS file to use that domain and folder.

• Like 2

I've been having a bit of a play with Python on the PC and have written a simple Python script that emulates the functionality of the Lantronix UDS-10 used by my Internet Browser. So now you don't need to have a UDS-10 - just connect the serial port on your TI to a serial port on your PC, leave the Python script running to make the web connections for you and away you go.

Could someone with a bit of familiarity with Python give it a test for me, then I'll add it to my web page? I'm using Python v3.5.1. Script attached - you need to edit the "ser = serial.Serial(...)" line with the name of the COM port you're using on the PC.

Lantronix Emulator.zip

• Like 5

I've been having a bit of a play with Python on the PC and have written a simple Python script that emulates the functionality of the Lantronix UDS-10 used by my Internet Browser. So now you don't need to have a UDS-10 - just connect the serial port on your TI to a serial port on your PC, leave the Python script running to make the web connections for you and away you go.

Could someone with a bit of familiarity with Python give it a test for me, then I'll add it to my web page? I'm using Python v3.5.1. Script attached - you need to edit the "ser = serial.Serial(...)" line with the name of the COM port you're using on the PC.

Will this also work via a Linux OS since it's Python ?

Oh NOW you post that... Mine arrives Friday. Granted, I'm not sure I have a standard modem cable here anyway, so I'd have to wait for something regardless.

• Like 2

This is interesting to me. I have no plan of ordering a UDS-10 but would like to have access to the internet browser. My PC in my TI room is running Windows 98se. I do not have Python. Will Phython run on Windows 98 along with your emulator? I know Windows 98 is dead,dead,dead but I will not change on this computer as TI99-PC works beautifully on it to transfer floppys back and forth.

• Like 1

This is interesting to me. I have no plan of ordering a UDS-10 but would like to have access to the internet browser. My PC in my TI room is running Windows 98se. I do not have Python. Will Phython run on Windows 98 along with your emulator? I know Windows 98 is dead,dead,dead but I will not change on this computer as TI99-PC works beautifully on it to transfer floppys back and forth.

I use several computers with TI99-PC with Windows XP and they seem to work fine for me. But at least you probably don't have anyone trying to hack your system ;-)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3414172/do-python-and-wxpython-run-on-windows-98

google

• Like 1

Cschneider, on 07 Jun 2016 - 02:22 AM, said:

Will this also work via a Linux OS since it's Python ?

I'm guessing it will. You'll need the Linux name for the COM port - the Python command "python -m serial.tools.list_ports" should list them.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

I'm guessing it will. You'll need the Linux name for the COM port - the Python command "python -m serial.tools.list_ports" should list them.

Stuart,

You are correct. all I had to do was change the 'COM3' in the script to the correct USB Serial device and it works. For me it was '/dev/ttyUSB0'

works perfectly..

• Like 3

That's awesome Stuart! It hadn't occurred to me how useful that will be! People can now just buy one of those USB-RS232 adapters like these: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-RS-232-Male-Serial/dp/B00J4N9T9C/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&keywords=usb%20rs232&qid=1465335742&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=fb41672bcfdf1077811f8f1dda900eba

and get an 9-pin to 25-pin adapter and get online. Cheaper and less hassle than the UDS-10, that's for sure! Of course it means you have to have a PC/MAC around and on while on the TI but this is probably not a problem - most people probably have an old laptop they could devote to this function. Great stuff.

• Like 1

That's awesome Stuart! It hadn't occurred to me how useful that will be! People can now just buy one of those USB-RS232 adapters like these: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-RS-232-Male-Serial/dp/B00J4N9T9C/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&keywords=usb%20rs232&qid=1465335742&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=fb41672bcfdf1077811f8f1dda900eba

and get an 9-pin to 25-pin adapter and get online. Cheaper and less hassle than the UDS-10, that's for sure! Of course it means you have to have a PC/MAC around and on while on the TI but this is probably not a problem - most people probably have an old laptop they could devote to this function. Great stuff.

It's kind of neat that people will now have more than one option, especially since more people will be able to use Stuart's Browser.

For me though, it wouldn't 'feel the same' somehow. It's also been kind of neat inching towards my ultimate goal of getting off the... "PC tit".

I'm not sure if it would be less hassle than the UDS-10 in the long run. Sure, the initial setup would probably be easier, but each and every subsequent use would require turning on and waiting for a PC to boot up, then running the script before doing anything on the TI. With the relatively small UDS-10 always being in standby mode, just turn on the TI, hit two buttons (if you are using the cartridge) and you're ready to go... within mere seconds.

It's kind of neat that people will now have more than one option, especially since more people will be able to use Stuart's Browser.

For me though, it wouldn't 'feel the same' somehow. It's also been kind of neat inching towards my ultimate goal of getting off the... "PC tit".

I'm not sure if it would be less hassle than the UDS-10 in the long run. Sure, the initial setup would probably be easier, but each and every subsequent use would require turning on and waiting for a PC to boot up, then running the script before doing anything on the TI. With the relatively small UDS-10 always being in standby mode, just turn on the TI, hit two buttons (if you are using the cartridge) and you're ready to go... within mere seconds.

Just an FYI. I used the Python script on a Rasbperry Pi3, so it took about 12 seconds from power up to issuing the command. It could be set to start automatically for the python script so you could just switch the Pi3 on.

As you said it does give another option out there for people to get online and use Stuarts browser.

• Like 1

Thanks to Arcadeshopper I was able to download a copy of Python on my PC machine.

But I must ask for a little more help, sorry.

I have no idea on how to setup Python to be used with the browser. Can someone tell me what to do?

Also - will the HDX RS232 cable I have between the TI and pc work with this?

• Like 1

You just run the python.exe file from a command line and pass the name of the emulator to it. If there's a PYTHON_PATH, you could write a batch file that runs %PYTHON_PATH%\python.exe "Lantronix Emulator.py" and put it in the directory with Lantronix Emulator.py.

Thanks to Arcadeshopper I was able to download a copy of Python on my PC machine.

But I must ask for a little more help, sorry.

I have no idea on how to setup Python to be used with the browser. Can someone tell me what to do?

Also - will the HDX RS232 cable I have between the TI and pc work with this?

I'll detail the procedure tonight. It's not complicated, but you also need to download/install the support library for the serial port. You downloaded Python v3.5.1?

• Like 1

Arcadeshopper to the rescue! (again!)

I now have version 2.7.3 of Python installed from that site.

Here's hoping it has the capabilities needed to use the TI browser.

Hi, why the 2.7.3 ? (There is a 2.7.11 directly promoted) Any reason ? Not for Win98 ?

https://www.python.org/downloads/