IGNORED

Stuart's TI-99/4A - Internet Web Browser

Omega-TI

Was just on http://stuartconnerdownloads.me.uk/tichat.php

I ran a dedicated category cable to my UDS-10, for the TI, so I fired up the Browser.

Plus I wanted an excuse to fire up my Extended Basic v2.7 Cart.

I was using my notebook running Mint, as a wireless bridge.

Nice post! :thumbsup:

I'm glad to see the browser is still being used. I've not seen any messages about that cool program lately. Hopefully someday it'll be in in E/A 5 format with the ability to pre-set the settings, then it would go nicely on one of these...

gallery_35324_1027_903789.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just scanned this thread from the beginning... lot's on improvements since the beginning! This cartridge version is the BOMB!

Just remember not to forget (like I did) that your favorites file needs to reside on a disk named "BROWSER". :skull:

Has anyone else come up with any new websites or goodies to go with Stuart's browser that are not reflected in this thread?

While thinking about another issue for a kid with no phone access, I started thinking about Stuart's Internet Browser again. Now that it's on Cartridge, this could be the first kernel of a "PC ELIMINATOR MODULETM". With download capability, this thing would bring us to another level of TI Bliss. Imagine, while browsing on your TI, being able to save files DIRECTLY to your TI's storage device for instant access, then with a program like DM2K to control those files. Of course Cortex BASIC would also have to be on there, especially since it looks like it can do at least partial Email.

I'm betting down-the-road Cortex BASIC will probably even have a program or two that will let TI'ers play head-to-head over the Internet.

A "PC-Eliminator ModuleTM" and as little as a Nano-PEB with a UDS-10 attached could do so much.

There appears to be a group of people forming out there who don't like all the new technology (while they use it). Anyway while I'm not as rabid as some << IN THIS ARTICLE >>, it makes me wonder if we should tell her about Stuart's Browser... ;)

Then there *WAS* this guy, who 'apparently' was killed because of his cellphone use. << ARTICLE HERE >>

Keep your heads up TI'ers!

• 4 weeks later...

As Ohm hinted above, version 8 of my Internet Browser is now available - disk and cartridge version download links are on my web page [http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser]. The enhancements in this version are mostly for joystick control of the pointer, support for full colour graphics, and a more reliable connection to the Lantronix UDS-10. A full change history is copied below. All the new functionality is described on my web page.

I've put together two sets of pages that demo the graphics capabilities (note these are graphic demos only - there are no games, so don't get too excited!). Ohm shows these in his video above.

-- www.stuartconnerdownloads.me.uk/tibrowser/valley.htm

-- www.stuartconnerdownloads.me.uk/tibrowser/elite.htm

There is also a 2-player chess game in development by a colleague - further details in due course.

Any problems, questions or bugs, let me know.

Stuart.

======

*Version 8 Changes
*-- Added User-Agent parameter value "TI" to HTTP GET calls.
*-- Added joystick support to move the pointer sprite, and Fire button to select hyperlink.
*-- Added tag <8pchr> to render 8-pixel wide characters aligned with VDP colour bytes.
*-- Added tag <8pclr> to specify the colours used to render characters using the <8pchr> tag. Note that the
* colour is loaded to VDP RAM as the tags are processed, so colour changes to the currently displayed page
* might be seen as a new page is rendered.
*-- Added IP address caching.
* -- www host name (not the entire URL) limited to 50 chars.
* -- Cache the last 4 host names accessed.
* -- Caching is per session only.
*-- Added tag <arect> which defines a rectangular link area defined at pixel level (rather than character
* level). When the link is clicked, the pointer position is appended to the link URL to be processed
* by a back-end script on the linked page.
*-- Added tag <ptrclr> which changes the colour of the sprite pointer.
*-- Added tag <noscroll> which disables the scroll keys on a web page. This is intended for web pages
* designed as a single page and using the <8pchr> and/or <arect> tags which don't work as intended
* if the page is scrolled.
*-- Added tag <noclearscreen> which disables clearing the screen when rendering a new web page. This
* enables one web page to update the screen rendered by the previous web page (so for example one
* web page could draw half a complex graphic on the screen and a second web page draw the other half).
*-- Added tag <loadpage> which displays the screen rendered so far then loads another specified web page.
*-- Added tag <updatescreen> - displays the screen rendered by the tags processed so far, then continues
* processing tags.
*-- Increased character set support from 128 to 256 characters.
*-- Improved the code that checks whether the Lantronix has successfully connected to a server and the
* handling of HTTP errors.

• Like 4

I can understate how amazing Stuart's browser is! It's absolutely incredible to be on the Internet with the TI and think about the possibilities we now have. Granted we won't be playing first-person shooters with the slow speed of the TI, but turn-based games like chess are ideal. I think even a Tunnels of Doom type game would be possible.

If any of you want to play the chess game, I created a registration page on MyTI99.com which you can use (on your modern computer) to create an account. You'll then be able to play on your console against other chess players. The chess game is a work in progress, and I'd appreciate any feedback/comments/bug reports. I should warn you that as of right now, you can't actually win at the chess game just yet. The game has only basic move validation and piece capture. I'll be working on proper check and checkmate detection over the next couple of days. Who am I kidding? I probably won't be able to sleep until I get it working :)

Cheers,

Corey.

• Like 2

ElectricLab,

I gotta thank you man, this Internet Chess game is freaking awesome. It's also given people us amazing glimpse of what Stuart's Browser is really capable of. I'm thinking this may be the breakout year for all things Internet on the TI. Between your game, apps in development, talk of a possible TI "Web Ring" and other stuff...

Oh BTW, thanks for keeping the URL small! :) "myti99.com" is so much easier than typing some huge 25+ character URL.

What I'd like to see next (on the cartridge version) is a simple editor for the FAVS file.

Ok well it works mostly on my setup. I think I may have a cable issue as it retrys a lot.. Running from cartridge :)

So built the cable adapter for the TI. Still getting a ton of retrys, tried a NIB uds10 and sitll getting a bunch of retrys.. is this how it works for the rest of you? Perhaps it's my hdx/rs232 card?

Greg

@Ohm: Yes - I'd be happy to give a presentation at FestWest!

@Greg: I am getting no retries or any glitchiness using a PEB and cables with ONLY these pins connected between the Lantronix and the PEB:

PEB (DB25) Lantronix UDS-10 (DB25)

Pin Pin

2 3

3 2

5 4

7 7

20 5

I have two systems set up with two PEBs w/non-HDX modded RS232 cards, Lantronix boxes, and I have been testing the heck out of my chess game and I didn't get any glitches at all over the weekend. I would venture to say more than 300 successful HTTP requests were passed through this setup.

When I was using the NanoPEB, I would quite often get stuck in a retry loop, and eventually it stopped working altogether. I had tried different cables, and three different Lantronix boxes. I am pretty certain that I ended up frying it with ESD. I have since stopped storing the NanoPEB with my wool socks. J/K. Anyway I'm not sure if my experience is relevant, but before I killed the NanoPEB's RS232 port, I would get the occasional lockups and the light on the status light on the Lantronix would blink steadily, as if in some debug or test mode. A reset would clear it.

I hope you can get it going.

Edited by ElectricLab

@Ohm: Yes - I'd be happy to give a presentation at FestWest!

@Greg: I am getting no retries or any glitchiness using a PEB and cables with ONLY these pins connected between the Lantronix and the PEB:

PEB (DB25) Lantronix UDS-10 (DB25)

Pin Pin

2 3

3 2

5 4

7 7

20 5

I have two systems set up with two PEBs w/non-HDX modded RS232 cards, Lantronix boxes, and I have been testing the heck out of my chess game and I didn't get any glitches at all over the weekend. I would venture to say more than 300 successful HTTP requests were passed through this setup.

When I was using the NanoPEB, I would quite often get stuck in a retry loop, and eventually it stopped working altogether. I had tried different cables, and three different Lantronix boxes. I am pretty certain that I ended up frying it with ESD. I have since stopped storing the NanoPEB with my wool socks. J/K. Anyway I'm not sure if my experience is relevant, but before I killed the NanoPEB's RS232 port, I would get the occasional lockups and the light on the status light on the Lantronix would blink steadily, as if in some debug or test mode. A reset would clear it.

I hope you can get it going.

That's how I cabled it, still retrying. Though I do have a switchbox and 9/25 adapters in the middle.. maybe I'll remove those and see what happens

Greg

Schach matt ? :)

post-41141-0-91485200-1454368186_thumb.jpg

Who was that guy with that great joymouse-request ? :-D

post-41141-0-26973700-1454368204_thumb.jpg

post-41141-0-91988200-1454368210_thumb.jpg

post-41141-0-99692100-1454368219_thumb.jpg

Great work, Stuart and Corey !!

thanks.

(I use PEB with standard RS232, UDS10) Greg: Not my one of these 2 new ones. Did you flash your new UDS ?

I will dig out my new one next days to check it. Same for Nano, but I never had any success on communicating with Nanos

• Like 1