IGNORED

The best dissassembler for Atari

On the actual machine I don't think there's anything that has AI to the point of detecting code/data blocks as such.

On the PC is where that action is at, I've used IDA Pro which can handle all manner of programs for CPUs from the 70s classics to modern RISC and x86 types.

Still, you have to help it out but when you identify a section of code it'll often unfold the program sufficiently such that you'll only need to do it a couple of dozen times for a 16K binary.

There's also batch mode utilities, in some cases you supply the parameters of where code and data resides, then you run it repetitively as you keep identifying new sections.

In my experience though, IDA has been most useful. You can generally take a raw binary file of 10-20K size and have something that you can work with and assemble back in well under an hour.

Yeah, it could use an update, with sizeable screen and options for font and point size. It's looking pretty tiny these days.

I tried to get in touch with the author back in 2013 because of that. Pitty he didn't reply so far. Maybe I should try again now.

EDIT: Just sent a mail again :-)

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 2

I tried to get in touch with the author back in 2013 because of that. Pitty he didn't reply so far. Maybe I should try again now.

I was talking to Eric via email quite regularly earlier this year about other matters. I just sent him another email; if he gets back to me, I'll ask him about DIS6502.

• Like 1

These were the requests I mentioned in the message to James ..

I'd like to have the option to select that the code and labels in the dissasembly listing be tabbed out rather than spaced out.

It'd be helpful if the file requester retained the previous directory entered.

When opening a binary file could you add the xex extension.

The only bug that I've come across is when you select the number of bytes per line in "OPTIONS > Output Format" to more than 32, the program crashes.

• 5 months later...

Sometimes good things just happen. Last night when I returned from the Revision demo party at 2am, I found a message from Eric Bacher in my AA inbox. During the day we had a nice conversation and ultimately I decided to install Visual Studio 2010 on my Acer Windows XP machine that I had prepared as cheap "nobody's gonna steal it" vote machine and gave it a try. So here it is, the latest build of the improved DIS6502.

2015-04-06
- Adapted copyrights in "About..." dialog
- Removed "Disk image to PC transfer..." menu item and implementation
- Simpified and extended file selector filters to
"Binary files (.bin;*.com;*.exe;*.xex)"
"CAS files (*.cas)"
"ROM files (*.bin;*.car;*.rom)"
"Disk image files(*.atr;*.xfd)"
"Equate files (*.equ)"
- Menu item texts are file selector dialog titles are now in sync
- "Assmbler Format" and "Output Format" menu option positions swapped
- Default output fomat adapted to 8 words per line, 16 bytes per line, 40 characters per string
- Number of screen lines in the dump component doubled from 32 to 64
- Width of disassembly component increased from 37 to 82
post-17404-0-70001400-1428336573_thumb.png

DIS6502.zip

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 11

My problem is that the Windows Resource editor I have totally destroy the .rc files when I try to save them again.

As a consequence I edit the resource files by hand. Works OK for text & menu, but not at all for dialogs/forms.

Maybe somebody knows how to do it right with Visual Studio 2010.

>will the .rc files be fixed in the future... ?

They are not broken unless I try to edit them with a ResEdit. Hence I currently edit a copy and then move the source to the original by hand. Very very tedious, but at least the About Dialog is correct now.

>Option to maximize screen, I still cannot maximize it on my screen

That would be a major change because currently all the screen stuff is fixed based on defines. Real dynamic resizing would require in depth knowledge about with Win32 Even handling etc. which is something I don't have. My aim is to make it "OK" for now.

>Change fnt/fnt size option

Fonts are very tricky under Windows. In particular when it comes to own fonts like the 3 included here (atari/5200/oric). There is not "free resizing" instead the fond be available precompiled in the font file. In even more important any kind of scaling becomes terribly unreadable with the Atari fixed pixel fonts. I had those issues with the Hex Editor display in WUDSN IDE already. I took looog with a lot of support from the font creator to get something working (will be in WUDSN IDE 1.7.0).

>TABS for several sources disasm listings

That's on the todo list already (see file dis6502.txt in the download).

Above all, editing in VIisual Studio 2010 is a nightmare for me. Even WUDSN IDE had a source outline in 2009 - VIsual Studio 2010 doesn't have it. I'm stunned and fight with the same silly dropdown listbox navigation bullsh.. that I first saw in VBA in 1995. Incredible.

post-17404-0-17562500-1428442080_thumb.png

Edited by JAC!

>Change fnt/fnt size option

Fonts are very tricky under Windows. In particular when it comes to own fonts like the 3 included here (atari/5200/oric). There is not "free resizing" instead the fond be available precompiled in the font file. In even more important any kind of scaling becomes terribly unreadable with the Atari fixed pixel fonts. I had those issues with the Hex Editor display in WUDSN IDE already. I took looog with a lot of support from the font creator to get something working (will be in WUDSN IDE 1.7.0).

On the other hand I like challenges :-) Layout computation based on initial font and window size works now. Now I have to figure out the Windows specific stuff how to react on resize events and update the control. Here is an example with 1024x768 and 16px high font.

post-17404-0-05610500-1428780491_thumb.png

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 2

Only thing with the Atari font using Win32 and TextOut() is that the *Escape* character 0x1b and inverse 0x9b show as a Decimal Point/Period.

Not sure if it's the Font or Windows?

It's the font. just looked at it with a font editor, so I might just change it...

And here is the modified font file.

*remove ".zip" from filename...

atari.fon.zip

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 1