IGNORED

The best dissassembler for Atari

Hello Eric and Peter,

How is with the dis6502? is there a beta build? I had from last year from Peter a beta build.

I hope there are many change please give a status.

Many years back in 1989-1992, from a friend a disassembler on the Atari not from Wosfilm i don't no if it was basic or machine language. But what i did was ghost buster the file version after that i used mac65 en i assembled. But when start the ghost buster logo horrible. I can't find it any more maybe someone here knows the name.

Greetings Marco.

Sorry, nothing new so far. Still lacking time.

Peter,

I have a mail from you out.zip when i unzip and start dis6502 it will not work any more maybe windows update or else.

Program can't start MSVCP120D.dll is missing on my computer. But they are in win32 and syswow64 (windows 7 64bit).

or can you send me the file again.

Thanks for the help.

Peter,

I have a mail from you out.zip when i unzip and start dis6502 it will not work any more maybe windows update or else.

Program can't start MSVCP120D.dll is missing on my computer. But they are in win32 and syswow64 (windows 7 64bit).

or can you send me the file again.

Thanks for the help.

Hello Peter it is working again :).

If you're looking for more of a reverse engineering tool than something that takes object code and turns it into source code, I've got a program called Omnivore that's cross-platform (win, mac, linux) and does disassembly. It also includes a mini-assembler and bitmap viewer. You can download it here https://github.com/robmcmullen/omnivore/releases and there's another thread here on AA discussing it: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248581-omnivore-the-atari-8-bit-binary-editor/

The attached screenshot shows the mini-assembler in action: typing in a new instruction at 0x088a.

post-39022-0-25929000-1456960951_thumb.png

Edited by playermissile
  • Like 1

If you're looking for more of a reverse engineering tool than something that takes object code and turns it into source code, I've got a program called Omnivore that's cross-platform (win, mac, linux) and does disassembly. It also includes a mini-assembler and bitmap viewer. You can download it here https://github.com/robmcmullen/omnivore/releases and there's another thread here on AA discussing it: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248581-omnivore-the-atari-8-bit-binary-editor/

The attached screenshot shows the mini-assembler in action: typing in a new instruction at 0x088a.

Hello Playermissele,

Thanks for the good work and i like it maybe this get better than dis6502.

Greetings,

Marco

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your interest.

I can not speak for JAC! but right now, I am at 100% on the CHIP (Archiver) firmware and I would like to finish what I have started on this subject before coming back to DIS6502.

There are 2 features which need to be implemented before releasing a version.

- Disassembling a SDX binary file does not work well in some cases.

- Load/Save workspace feature has been broken with the support of SDX binaries.

• Like 1

What are you doing with the 1050 super archiver?

Well, I wanted to understand the hardware and firmware of a drive so I started on the 810. In another AA thread, I put the 810 firmware disassembly (probably revision A) and now I try to look at the revision E.

I am looking at the CHIP 810 because I got one (good reason) and because there is the ability to download code to the drive so this is very handy to try some controller commands or try to do things not possible with the official Archiver/Editor 1.0 program.

And there exist almost no programming guide on the CHIP.

The software/hardware of the drive is a whole world, not as complex as the Atari computer but it is very exciting. And also challenging on the 810 as there are only 256 bytes of RAM.

I won't release any software. This is just for my understanding and to have fun with a great piece of history. The 810 looks like a prehistoric thing which makes it attractive as vintage stuff becomes fashion.

Edited by ebiguy

Hi Eric,

great to see you're still around and active. I still struggle to get my work life balance right again. In just 3 weeks my summer vacation starts, and the thought that the last time I really had time for coding was during the previous summer vacation implies .... well, there are just not enough summers per year :-)

Regards, Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good progress after the first days of vacation. Currently refactoring all the configuration settings to have separated data/logic/dialog classes. That's a precondition to implement the new XML serialization of the profiles and in the next step the workspace.

post-17404-0-32465600-1471130158_thumb.png

• Like 1

Good progress after the first days of vacation. Currently refactoring all the configuration settings to have separated data/logic/dialog classes. That's a precondition to implement the new XML serialization of the profiles and in the next step the workspace.

attachicon.gifDIS6502.png

Greet Job Peter

Thnxx for posting the information.

Greetings Marco

• 6 months later...

Sign of life:

The fight against complexity of the original monolithic plain C continues. I've made very good progress in the past weeks. The content of the original 24 source files are now structured into 152 source files of much smaller size, with clear C++ interfaces and less dependencies and global variables. In fact almost no global variables are left now. The average number of lines in a file has been reduced to 20%, the characters per file even to 15%.

post-17404-0-97043800-1488151887_thumb.png

The originally largest file "main.c" is down from 4000 to 800 lines. "label.c" has been subject to refactoring this week. So mainly the "dis.c", "dump.c" are left, i.e. the logic behind the dump window and the disassembly window. Both are going to be tough (they are a huuuuge mix of UI and logic), but the rest around it meanwhile is so structured, that I'm confident.

post-17404-0-40089900-1488152202_thumb.png

I also found the reason why dump selection often didn't work and the dump window crashed in my version. The original code has the assumption that the dump windows displays exactly 8 bytes per line hard-coded dozens of places which I hadn't seen before. I still have to see how to centralize this correctly. So maybe I'll restrict the dump window to 8 for a start again until the rest works.

Complete commit history:

https://sourceforge.net/p/dis6502/git/commit_browser

• Like 4

For you cross-platform folks, I'll have a new release of Omnivore in the next few weeks that has a vastly improved disassembler. The disassembler part is now written in C so there's no waiting any more for sections to be disassembled. It also supports user-defined labels and will also automatically generate labels from any branch instructions or data load/store locations. It exports assembly source for multiple assemblers, defaulting to ATasm but will also at least support MADS and the cc65 assembler.

And most people reading this won't benefit much, but it can disassemble 65c02, 65816, 6800, 6809, 6811, Z80, 8051 and 8080 code. And, just for the record, multi-byte opcodes suck to decode. Especially on the effing Z80. :-D

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

I had a productive time during my summer vacation and some at the Fujiama meeting two weeks ago.

The new version is very beta but I need to get the build chain and packaging with the 32 / 64 -bit DLLs working and tested.

This is important, because I am using a 64 bit machine for development, but the result should also run on Windows XP in 32 bit.

http://www.wudsn.com/productions/windows/dis6502/dis6502.zip

This beta is only for testing and should not be used productively.

Only use it on copies of your existing workspaces, otherwise they may become corrupted!
post-17404-0-97331100-1504396082_thumb.png

The archive contains a x86 (32 bit) and x64 (64 bit) version.

The dis6502.exe and related own DDLs are all 32 bit, only the runtime DLLs are different.

The known issues are in the "dis6502.txt" file, please check there if your issue is already listed, before reporting it.

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

• Like 8

Loading old workspaces should work now.

Fixed Bugs:
- 2017-09-03 When pressing cancel in "View Profile" dialog the atari800.equ are still reloaded
- 2017-09-03 Default paths in the INI file are reset upon opening the program/dialog
- 2017-09-03 Default paths in the INI are not updated
- 2017-09-03 Loading old workspace version results in garbage in the segments list

Implemented Feature Requests:
- 2017-09-03 Default paths and last used profile are now stored per computer system type in the "dis6502.ini" file

On Win XP, the DLLs provided with the download will not be sufficient as I learned today. You'll need the Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable package.
If somebody has an XP machine to play around with (and to reset to the initial state, maybe a VM?), can PM me the details.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...