IGNORED

I was trying to get this done for Halloween, but...

PacManPlus

Wow - we got quite... off... track... :woozy:

The name is now 'Rezolve', I'm still working on coordinates, collision detection, etc. The objects have coordinates that span the entire playfield (not just the viewable window). This makes for some "fun" issues for collision detection, etc as all coordinates use two bytes each. Just trying to find the best way to deal with all of this. The way I had it before didn't allow for shots, etc.

Hey Marc! :) Yep, the dual-zone scroll demo was going to be a Advanced D&D (part II) sort of... I abandoned that in favor of this, and found that the dual zone scroll didn't work too well with this theme for my tastes.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 5

The scrolling demo looked like Advanced Dungeon and Dragons (AD&D) for the Intellivision.

Reminds me of a discussion that Jerry Jessop was recently taking part in over at the Atari Museum Facebook group where he mentioned Tod Frye had quickly hacked together a "console" design using 4 TIAs to be used for multiple screen scrolling as an example of how Atari Inc's internal team could do better work than GCC and that Warner should go with them and cancel the GCC project [7800]. He also mentioned in another cancelled project - and prior to the 5200 - had a TIA and GTIA working together. Apparently, that was after the Sylvia was cancelled which now has been determined to have had a 6502 for the CPU but the 10-Bit component was the graphics chip STIA which the programmers hated.

Sorry…the subject of scrolling led me onto a tangent.

^^Multiple monitors? Such progressive thinking back then!

Sorry, I didn't phrase that correctly. Multiple scrolling on the same screen. So a screen could be divided into four corners and there would be separate scrolling in each. I think that's about right… Supposedly, Frye didn't spend much time on it…more of an impressive proof of concept and what Atari engineers could do on the fly and cheaply without having to contract out such a thing.

^^Multiple monitors? Such progressive thinking back then!

Sorry to go off-topic but in the arcade, Atari had a few multi-monitor setups they released, they were very much ahead of the curve ;) :

1977: 2 Game Module

11022502.jpg

1978: Subs

118124217417.jpg

1984: TX-1

1181242177295.jpg

On topic - look forward to seeing how Rezolve has progressed!

• Like 2

I've always said that, in the hands of enterprising coders, the 7800 is capable of some really fantastic things. This just serves to illustrate that point. Even in this very young state, it's a wonderful thing to see and to know that it could be played on 7800 hardware. (Alas, I'm limited to emulation.) Outstanding, absolutely outstanding.