IGNORED

I was trying to get this done for Halloween, but...

PacManPlus

This is my first contribution to AA. I am quite upset, with what I've been informed of, in this thread.

Before you call it quits Bob D. please know this:

I enjoy your work tremendously! I can't begin to count the Saturday nights, I've stayed up late, enjoying the games you've brought to the 7800.

I wish I could thank you in person for helping rekindle my Atari passion and dreams!

Respectfully,

Danny Vaughn

Casselberry, FL

• Like 11

While I've never had the pleasure of meeting Bob in public, I've seen his work, even before I actually signed up on here. And let me just say, that had Bob's games been around in the mid '80s, I think Nintendo and Sega would've really had a run for their money. In fact, he's one of the reasons why I wanted to pick up Atari 7800 development, for myself.

He seems like an incredible man, both in his personality, and his coding skill. I can understand when things start getting you down, and part of me has a pretty good idea.

May the Lord be with him, and give him the strength he needs to get through this.

• Like 1

It's always sad to see when such a nice and talented guy has to leave a community because of things like that.

I've been a lurker for a long time and always appreciated Bob's work for the 7800 community. His games even made me want to finally buy a 7800, and I did so a couple days ago.

The most amazing thing ist that he did all this out of passion and he probably doesn't earn much money with this hobby. And yet, people still insult him and show no respect towards him.

Critc is allowed but some people (ab)use the anonymity of the internet to compensate for certain things and act like priviliged A**holes.

Bob, thank for you everything you did and I hope you have found your peace now.

• Like 1

Well that's very sad news indeed. Bob has been a fantastic contributor to the retro gaming community and he does outstanding work that has brought a smile to the faces of many here on AA and elsewhere. To the douchebags who have caused him to feel the need to pull back from participating in this forum, I wish for you to enjoy an unlimited number of anal fissures.

One thing for sure is Bob is too nice of a guy. He would never call anyone anything profane on Atariage. He just seemed always like a man of high standards for himself and his goals and the way his professionalism was conveyed in everything he put his name to.

Please Bob brush this crap off and continue to amaze us with your creations.

Paying you money for your work always didn't fit the amount of time you would go thru to make these games. You have accomplished rock star status in the Atari world for sure!

Guys, Bob is taking a break, he'll be back. He could never stay away from the smiles (albeit only written in text) of the people who play his demos and games. That is what makes it satisfying, not the $2.65 you end up making in the end. ;)

• Like 11

You have accomplished rock star status in the Atari world for sure!

ATARI's unsung HERO!!!

Seriously.. I know what it is like to not want to even think about code...there are times when you need to walk away from it for awhile..let your mind rest and recharge...after awhile the passion takes over and we get things like

ASTROBLASTER

MOON CREST

FAILSAFE

FRENZY/BERZERK

I think I have said all there is to say.

Edited by NIKON

One thing I can agree with is it can easily take only a few idiots on the internet to turn things sour. It's like some people do not know when to stop. I've seen plenty of it myself and have found that taking a break usually helps alot. However things like that would not have to be done if it was not for a couple of over vocal idiots.

• Like 1

Yep, Bob's output defies all criticism. My personal favorite is still 7800 Pac-man Collection. I was just playing it (and Moon Cresta which I suck at). When I saw the first pictures and video of Bentley Bear , I got that original "new homebrew" excitement that I used to feel back in the very early 2000's again!

• Like 3

I must've missed some negative comments or some were deleted. Who attacked Bob? And whomever it was, we need to stone them with some useless Spectrum computers and VIC-20s.

Bob deserves 0 negative comments. Even his pinkish 5200 is cool!

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 3

You've got to be a seriously hateful person to find any kind of fault wit Bob, or his work, his passion really.

Bob's work, along with CPUWIZ, Tep, Kenfused, that Kevin guy who did all the 7800 graphic hacks, have breathed so much new life into the 7800 it's nearly unbelieveable. But Bob's work - is really above all (and not really trying to be controversial or compare) - I'm just going on the sheer volume and attention to detail and genuine caring he's shared here over the years.

Enjoy your time off, Bob. We'll all be counting the minutes until you get back to it.

• Like 5

I tried to send Bob some words of encouragement and tell him how much I appreciate his games and what he has done for the community, but it appears all PMs have been disabled. I hope he's not gone permanently... :sad:

Bob, if you're reading this, just know I loved your games immensely (especially Pacman Collection and the multicart) and deeply appreciate what you've done for the community. I can't program anything (beyond bare basic hacking/hex editing) so I have utmost respect for you and others who design homebrews, not for money but simply for the love of making something new. Your games are the reason I bought my Best AV 7800, and I wish you the best of luck in whatever endeavors you pursue.

Take whatever time off you need, but please feel free to drop us a line now and then and let us know what's going on. Always remember to put family first above whatever careers or hobbies you pursue. God bless and take care. You will be missed. ;-)

Edited by stardust4ever

I tried to send Bob some words of encouragement and tell him how much I appreciate his games and what he has done for the community, but it appears all PMs have been disabled. I hope he's not gone permanently... :sad:

:ponder:

Everybody should give him a proper break from all inquiries, even well intentioned ones. If we're lucky he'll eventually return when he's less stressed, but even if he doesn't, he clearly wants to be left alone for a while. We owe him that much.

• Like 2