IGNORED

Games YOU would like to see ported to the TI

Omega-TI

Some suggestions that might be easy to get a license for:

Laser Chess, as first appeared in COMPUTE! magazine in 1987 for the Atari ST, later on ported to Amiga, C64, Atari 8-bit, Apple ][ and nowadays is available for Windows and as a Java applet. It might not be an Archon, but it seems to have some following and be reasonably known. Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_Chess

Butamaru Pants, a HAL Laboratory game that as far as I know only exists for the MSX1. Thus the graphics would be 1:1 when converted to TI-99. It might look simplistic, but I find it rather enjoyable in short sessions. The fact it might never have been ported to another system should tickle someone. Link: http://www.generation-msx.nl/software/hal-laboratory/butamaru-pants/release/67/

Chopper Rescue, a VTech game for the Creativision. It ain't Zaxxon, but yet again a rather obscure game that despite its rough scroll is quite playable, and since it is powered by a VDP, you could reuse the same graphics if you like. I don't know the TI game database, perhaps you already have games like this one. Link:

Flipull / Plotting, a Taito game so trademarks would need to be honored. This is a rather common game on Famicom, Game Boy, Atari ST, Amiga, C64, Amstrad CPC/GX4000, ZX Spectrum, some TI calculator etc. Jim Gerrie made a version for the Tandy MC-10 BASIC within a week. Since previously in this thread even Tetris was desired, a game that I would have imagined had been done to death even on the TI-99, I figure you may not have an abundance of puzzle games yet? At least Flipull doesn't seem to have been done to death. Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plotting_(video_game)

Azzurro 8-bit Jam, another MSX game that is a recent homebrew. It exists in a version for the ZX Spectrum too. Perhaps there is room for a TI port as well? What fits better together with heavy metal and beer than a TI-99/4A? Link: http://www.relevovideogames.com/azzurro-8-bit-jam/

Generally, I think porting rare "gems" that would make the TI seem like a format with unique titles even if they're really ports, should be as important as porting the big classics that can be played on every other system already. I am aware of the "because we can" factor, but perhaps there is some "because we can" to be obtained even from the lesser known titles, if you don't develop your entirely own games.

Some suggestions that might be easy to get a license for:

Laser Chess, as first appeared in COMPUTE! magazine in 1987 for the Atari ST, later on ported to Amiga, C64, Atari 8-bit, Apple ][ and nowadays is available for Windows and as a Java applet. It might not be an Archon, but it seems to have some following and be reasonably known. Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_Chess

I already have a license for this on the TI-99/4A from COMPUTE! Publications. Obtained it in 1989. Problem was I started the port in BASIC but BASIC is just too under-powered. I have everything done except for complete rules and AI logic. I never knew it had a following. That is a bit inspiring...

EDIT: FWIW, I have license for TI-99/4A conversions of Tiles, Leaping Larry, Hickory Dickory Dock, Laser Chess, Block Battle, Laser Strike, Rememory, Smart Alec, and Marbles. I have completed or mostly completed Tiles, Hickory Dickory Dock, Laser Chess*, Block Battle, and Laser Strike. I have the framework for the remainder. All in BASIC. I have worked on conversions of Balloon Wars and a few others after COMPUTE! dropped the TI.

compute permission.pdf

• Like 1

Great! Although the Windows version on the homepage only is said to run on 95/98/ME, NT 4.0 and 2000 (so probably not updated since 12+ years ago), there also are apps for iOS and Android next to the Java version. For some reason the Android version appears to have been made & credited to someone else than the iOS/Java apps and homepage. There also is an Advanced version with a bigger board and more pieces.

How about Assembler, but running on an unexpanded TI-99 (using senior_falcon's Playground utility)?

I'd be happy to walk you through using it if you want to go that route.

BTW, remember that you don't have to run the program in TI BASIC. It can run as an EA5, out of XB, or even from a cartridge.

Edited by senior_falcon