IGNORED

HELP!

JimC79

I've been using a 1999 27" Panasonic TV for game playing, but it just passed on.

What kind of TV/monitor (LCD, LED, other) should I be looking for?

How big of a screen can be used before there's pixel separation and the graphics become chunkey?

I hooked up a 400 to a 35" TV and the pixel seperation on Battle Zone and Defender was terrible. The graphics on other games were very chunky.

Do I need to go with 720 or 1080 monitors?

Brand?

Once in awhile I used to play a DVD through the old Panasonic with a great picture.

The 28" Samsung and Visios I've looked at are all 720s, but they do have both the composite as well the coax/antenna inputs.

Would appreciate a little/a lot of help ;)

Thanks,

Jim

Personally, I use an old Sharp Aquos 19" LCD connected S-Video to my 800. CRT's are the only option if you use a light gun. Larger screens will look blocky and pixellated at close distances. If you have a 50" on your wall, and you sit 15' away, it might be ok, but if you sit close to it, it will look terrible.

I don't think 720 or 1080 will make a difference, because we're using 320x192.

• Like 1

You'll see chunky pixels on practically any TV - horizontal res effectively is about 336 pixels on a 4:3 screen. On LCD it's usually more apparent since they tend to show squarish pixels where CRT tends to make them fuzzy and rounded.

The vertical resolution is generally half that of old analog TV, since you'd be using an anlalog input on an LCD it would be upscaled. Whether the TV is a crappy 480, 768 or full 1080 won't make much difference.

I don't know where are you located so this may not help you, but in US people usually throw away their old CRT. Sometimes they list them on craigslist.org for free or they ask $20 for the nicer ones. You can buy them from thrift stores for as low as $0.50.

• Like 1

LED is LCD... unless you're talking OLED and I'd not buy one of those due to lifespan/price.

Yep, CRTs are becoming extinct. Most people have made the decision to either get rid or keep, the keepers are generally the smaller and larger ones - the midsize ones in the 16-26" range take up too much room and LCD replacements equivalent to that size are pretty cheap.

Personally I'd not ever pay more than 20 bucks or so for a CRT of any type - parts are becoming scarce as well as people bothered to work on them.

Personally, I use an old Sharp Aquos 19" LCD connected S-Video to my 800. CRT's are the only option if you use a light gun. Larger screens will look blocky and pixellated at close distances. If you have a 50" on your wall, and you sit 15' away, it might be ok, but if you sit close to it, it will look terrible.

Same TV I'm using with my 800.. Works great with S-Video (after a small mod to 800). Also works great with an 800XL. :)

Edited by Knimrod
  • Like 1

I swear by the JVC monitor. This thing is awesome, many hookups and options. Picture is perfect. Great monitor. I picked one up on Amazon.com for $27 plus shipping. I think total w/shipping about $50. Look around the net, you will not be sorry. Ebay has them too.

JVC TM-A13SU 13" Color Monitor for JVC Professional Camcorders

I got one of those Pro JVC monitors, a 21" and it has a medium resolution tube, which means the dot size is smaller and thus should have a much sharper picture than any consumer grade CRT. It's big and heavy like hell. I actually bought it in hope to use the CRT as a CRT for a color vector monitor in my Gravitar but it's too modern for that (without serious modding at least).

Will try it on my 600XL some time in the future for sure. I love those JVC Pro monitors. I'm not a Trinitron guy and Sony stuff in general always seems to fail sooner or later with me.

Currently using a Bang & Olufsen MX4000 TV which is AWESOME. Does PAL and NTSC and has a great picture AND sound (that's where those pro monitors fail, not a problem if you use a separate audio amp though ;)). It is also VERY shallow because of the used tube and it has a beautiful design.