IGNORED

Sega Game Gear shuts off immediately after turning on.

First guess would be weak batteries, or if using power pack, it's possibly bad. Try compatible SMS or Genny power pack if you have one. Also, caps go bad on many GGs, but don't know if that symptom would be related to caps. Could also be a loose connection somewhere on the internal power wires...might be able to check continuity with a meter.

I have the same problem with one of my Game Gears... seems like the longer I leave it alone (like WEEKS at a time) = the more SECONDS it gains in staying on. I assume it's something to do with capacitors.

And I'm using an AC adapter... but even with actual batteries, it doesn't make any difference.

And it's a shame, because it's the Game Gear that works with my TV Tuner.

And yes, here in Canada (at least Newfoundland) we still have one channel, at least, that still broadcasts over the airwaves.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
11 minutes ago, Bratwurst said:

Sometimes a capacitor replacement fixes auto-shutoff, sometimes it doesn't, it's very tough to diagnose. If you can open the unit to look inside and see a lot of obvious corrosion, I would write off the system.

Yah I cleaned everything and everything looks good I even tryed to resoldering the ics and still nothing. I actually have one that was worse then that and I had to replace some traces and it actually works fine 

• 1 year later...

I have game gear that switches off after one second, it has been recapped completely but nothing. I discovered something weird though. when I plug a tv tuner in it it stays on. I can see anything as there is no analogue signal anymore in my country but is stays on. So I can definitely say that there is no problem with the light or the screen as they both work.

I hope that can help someone with a bit more knowledge then me.

1 hour ago, Psykolex said:

I have game gear that switches off after one second, it has been recapped completely but nothing. I discovered something weird though. when I plug a tv tuner in it it stays on. I can see anything as there is no analogue signal anymore in my country but is stays on. So I can definitely say that there is no problem with the light or the screen as they both work.

I hope that can help someone with a bit more knowledge then me.

Maybe try turning the contrast completely down and try running a game it might be the screen brightness