IGNORED

Costco Arcade Cabinet

BillyHW

Costo is now carrying an arcade cabinet for $2500 Canadian. There is a functioning model on display. Has a lot of great games (Berzerk, Frenzy, Robotron, Ghost'n Goblins, Bubble Bobble, Street Fighter II: Champion Edition) as well as a few stinkers (Double Dragon 3, about 30 versions of Golden Tee).

I played for like an hour. Managed to make it up to M. Bison as easily as I remembered, and came within a few pixels of victory, but he can get pretty cheap. One thing that was odd was that the sound seemed different than I remember. But maybe that's just because I got so used to the SNES version. Not sure.

Sorry for the unsteady camera, but you should still be able to make out the list of games in the pictures at the links below.

1. http://oi60.tinypic.com/302s31w.jpg

2. http://oi62.tinypic.com/jpjteg.jpg

3. http://oi62.tinypic.com/a431p1.jpg

4. http://oi61.tinypic.com/feqo12.jpg

5. http://oi57.tinypic.com/2k11ft.jpg

302s31w.jpg

• Like 2

We had some of these in the arcade I managed. The cabinets are pretty well built, but you are limited to the built-in games. And, like you said, there are some good games, but also lots of games you probably won't play (I also couldn't care less about 30 flavors of Golden Tee). You could probably build or buy a comparable MAME cabinet for the same amount of money, with a better control panel, probably a better screen, and the ability to play considerably more games. Part of what you're paying for, though, is the proper licensing of all the included games, which you won't get with a MAME cabinet.

..Al

We had some of these in the arcade I managed. The cabinets are pretty well built, but you are limited to the built-in games. And, like you said, there are some good games, but also lots of games you probably won't play (I also couldn't care less about 30 flavors of Golden Tee). You could probably build or buy a comparable MAME cabinet for the same amount of money, with a better control panel, probably a better screen, and the ability to play considerably more games. Part of what you're paying for, though, is the proper licensing of all the included games, which you won't get with a MAME cabinet.

..Al

So there's no way to add your own games to this?

Well, Chicago Games does have a Gamepack for the Ultima Arcade 2:

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/ua2gamepack.php

Sounds like it's just an SD card swap. I didn't compare the list of games with the version available at your Costco to see if there are different.

I have no idea which flavor of the cabinet Costco is selling. Looks like this is Chicago Games' current flavor of the cabinet:

http://www.arcadelegends.com/

..Al

You could do that but then you've paid 2500 for a cab that you're not even using the guts. It'll be cheaper to find an old cab or look up schematic for a new one and have someone build just a cab.

Again, like Al said, the high cost is mostly due to the license cost. A lot of people try to play as legal as possible, so if you buy this you also get the legal right to play thee MAME games....something that anyone who built a MAME cab doesn't have, for most of the games. :P

Didn't a lot if those games have special hardware setups that wouldn't be found on such a new cabinet, particularly vector games like Tempest?

The emulation takes care of the vector monitor issue, and the trackball probably is used in place of the original analog movement devices (in the case of Tempest, the spinner).

These have been around for awhile. They are the next generation after the UltraCade. The UltraCade had a lot more titles, but there were legal battles going on. This cabinet is the outcome of those battles. Upgrades/enhancements are very limited and I have not heard of that changing. I have an UltraCade and have been watching the Ultimate Arcade and Arcade Legends machines since the beginning to see about support and upgrades. Support has been solid but upgrades has been more of new cabinets with game combinations rather than game pack upgrades.

Troy

The emulation takes care of the vector monitor issue, and the trackball probably is used in place of the original analog movement devices (in the case of Tempest, the spinner).

Close enough for most, then. Certainly easier than keeping an dedicated machine around. I'd find it interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of both.

I've heard those cabs are actually quite nicely built, and the buttons/joysticks feel solid. A bummer is some of the games people may be looking for probably won't be on there. Plus, if you're DIY inclined you can build a really killer MAME cab with all the goodies for a fraction of the price. I think on my yet-to-be-finished cab I'm only about 300 bucks in. I picked up a cheap, old cab and did some repairs to use as the shell. In retrospect, and for my next build, I'm going to just put together the cab myself. I've spent more man-hours repairing the old cab than just building a new one.

If you really wanted a MAME cab, building it yourself is the way to go. There's some excellent free plans here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,118612.0.html

(I think you have to register to download files, so if you really want the plans just PM me)

Edited by TPA5
  • Like 1

If you really wanted a MAME cab, building it yourself is the way to go.

Meh - too much work for me. I'd rather buy a cabinet for $50 and MAME it. The most expensive piece of my MAME cabs was the 19" LCD monitor from Suzo Happ. The only time I ever used a computer monitor was for my Pole Position cabinet. And I used a TV for my Star Castle MAME cabinet I converted from a Trivia Whiz cabaret.

• Like 1

Meh - too much work for me. I'd rather buy a cabinet for $50 and MAME it. The most expensive piece of my MAME cabs was the 19" LCD monitor from Suzo Happ. The only time I ever used a computer monitor was for my Pole Position cabinet. And I used a TV for my Star Castle MAME cabinet I converted from a Trivia Whiz cabaret.

I suppose it depends on if you have cabs around, and how much work it needs. In my neck of the woods, finding cabs for a decent price is very difficult. But yeah, if there's a fair amount of cheap cabs close by, and if they're in decent condition then just using an existing cab can work.

The LCD you got from Suzo, was it a 4:3 aspect ratio, or widescreen? My biggest challenge so far is trying to find an LCD with a 4:3 aspect ratio. I guess it's not necessary, but I'd prefer it. Also, have any pics of those cabs? I'd love to see them.

Also, have any pics of those cabs? I'd love to see them.

I have this video:

http://youtu.be/3zy881u7858

Galaga (out of order at the time of this video), Centipede and Make Trax all have 19" LCD monitors from Suzo Happ. Star Castle has a TV and Pole Position has a Dell monitor. All the rest are arcade monitors.

• Like 2

I have this video:

Galaga (out of order at the time of this video), Centipede and Make Trax all have 19" LCD monitors from Suzo Happ. Star Castle has a TV and Pole Position has a Dell monitor. All the rest are arcade monitors.

That's a killer set up! Really great collection of games, and they all look stellar. I'd love to get my hands on a Galaga and stand-up Pole Position cab.

That's a killer set up! Really great collection of games, and they all look stellar. I'd love to get my hands on a Galaga and stand-up Pole Position cab.

The Galaga is a conversion of a Satan's Hollow cab.

Pole Position had mice nests in the PCB cage and behind the marquee. I threw away the PCBs, cleaned the cab of droppings and then painted the inside with Kilz primer - the first time I've ever painted the inside of a cab. ;-)

Remember that not everyone is handy with tools, building/configuring their own PC, etc. I am a big fan of unbox-it and-plug-it-in solutions -- even though they usually do cost significantly more than DIY.

I simply do not have the space for a full-size cabinet, but if I did, I would buy this (despite the cost and the limitations) rather than attempt to build my own system.

so if you buy this you also get the legal right to play thee MAME games....something that anyone who built a MAME cab doesn't have, for most of the games. :P

I don't think that is true. Having a licensed copy doesn't give me the right to create or obtain a pirated copy. I'm sure this has been discussed on the boards. Anyone know for sure?

I don't think that is true. Having a licensed copy doesn't give me the right to create or obtain a pirated copy. I'm sure this has been discussed on the boards. Anyone know for sure?

I've seen some weird ideas going around where some say trying a ROM for 24 hours is OK. Or, having the game is good enough to download a ROM. Nope. You must find a way to personally dump the ROM from the hardware that you own.

• Like 2