IGNORED

Are Spectravideo SV318 possible to find?

I know the SV318 and 328 were sold locally to me at American TV for a time (a Wisconsin based electronics chain that just went out of business earlier this year, see retrospective below). Still have the original brochure I took when I was in looking to buy a home computer around that time. They also used to cary the Laser brand of Apple II clones.

) Edited by Retro Rogue
  • Like 1

I'd seen a few of the Sony Hit-Bit MSX computers in the US as well. They showed up in DC thrift stores pretty often in the early nineties. . .

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I've never once heard of, let alone seen, a North American Sony Hit-Bit MSX computer. If there's some proof, any proof, that would be extremely helpful. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned based on all that I've ever seen/uncovered, the two Yamaha MSX 1 computers were the only MSX systems officially available in the US.

Is the Yamaha msx completely msx compatible? Carts, games,etc?

It meets the MSX 1 specification, so it runs any software designed for the first MSX specification. The most common Yamaha models you'll find in the wild have 32K RAM. Again, if at all possible, get an MSX2 (or better) computer instead.

Any recommendations since I am in the US? Thanks!

The only thing you have to worry about with Japanese systems (which are readily available on eBay) is the power. They use 100v, we have 120v. Usually it's not an issue using Japanese stuff here, but I still like to convert the voltage to what it's looking for for maximum safety. Otherwise, video and everything else is fully compatible. There are a wide variety of MSX2 (or greater) machines, so it all depends upon what you want. You'll need to do the research on that. I happen to use the Sony HB-F1XD the most of the MSX machines I have, and I know that's a popular option. The only downside is the 64K RAM for the small amount of software that wants at least 128K, but that can be addressed via the available Flash cart option with RAM option if it ever comes up.

If you genuinely will only be using MSX 1 software, though, then you shouldn't have any issues with one of the US Yamahas, particularly if you stick with cartridges. The only reason why I was recommending an MSX2 or greater system is the greater variety of software available for them.

Damn, I am starting to feel sorry for you guys, the Spectravideo was not readily available in the UK but you could find it, MSX on the other hand was readily available through most electrical and computer retailers, the most popular one over here seemed to be the Toshiba HX-10, but you could find the Sony Hit Bit, Goldstar, Hitachi, Sanyo, Yamaha and a few others relatively easily.

Damn, I am starting to feel sorry for you guys, the Spectravideo was not readily available in the UK but you could find it, MSX on the other hand was readily available through most electrical and computer retailers, the most popular one over here seemed to be the Toshiba HX-10, but you could find the Sony Hit Bit, Goldstar, Hitachi, Sanyo, Yamaha and a few others relatively easily.

PAL systems are not as readily available to those of us in the US as the Japanese systems are. With that said, I do have one PAL MSX computer in my collection. I still prefer the Japanese systems because they never stopped releasing them there until the end of the line. They were either second tier systems or non-existent outside of Japan.

Yes, based on the eBay supply the Toshiba HX-10 seems to have been extremely "common" in the UK, out of all the MSX models. More so than later Spectravideo models, Sony, Goldstar and in particular Yamaha, which probably aimed at musicians more than game players as it contained a DX synthesizer and probably was a fair bit more expensive in the day.

Also if you're going for a MSX1 model for some reason, try to get one with 64K RAM. The MSX standard allows any RAM size from 8K and upwards, most put at least 16K into them but a number of tape or disk games require 64K. Of course if you get a MSX2 model that is not a problem as they tend to come with 64K minimum, many models 128K.

if you only plan to play a few MSX 1 cartridge games, the US spec CX5M will do. Most likely you will need to make your own video cable as most eBay auctions I have seen come without one and it's not a standard cable (but rather easy to make one tho). Typically the going price for those nowadays is between $60 to $120 depending on the condition.

If you want to play MSX2 and up games (think Metal Gear, Vampire Killer), it's easy to find one on eBay, although they can be pricey. Japanese models are best for using in the US as by default they will boot in NTSC mode. European model can also be switched to NTSC but by default will boot in Pal.

Keep in mind that Japan use 100Volts vs 110 in the US so you will need something like this to keep it safe:

http://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-1000J-Japanese-Transformer-Converts/dp/B000PC4SVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415590847&sr=8-1&keywords=japanese+step+down+converter

I would also recommend a Megaflashrom SD which makes it easy to copy files back and forth from a PC using an Micro SD card. The latest model also has a 512KB Ram extension built in which can be useful as most Japanese MSX only come with 64KB

Edited by Maggoo

if you only plan to play a few MSX 1 cartridge games, the US spec CX5M will do. Most likely you will need to make your own video cable as most eBay auctions I have seen come without one and it's not a standard cable (but rather easy to make one tho). Typically the going price for those nowadays is between $60 to $120 depending on the condition.

If you want to play MSX2 and up games (think Metal Gear, Vampire Killer), it's easy to find one on eBay, although they can be pricey. Japanese models are best for using in the US as they will boot by default in NTSC mode. European model can be switched to NTSC with a single command but by default will boot in Pal.

Keep in mind that Japan use 100Volts vs 110 in the US so you will need something like this to keep it safe:

http://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-1000J-Japanese-Transformer-Converts/dp/B000PC4SVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415590847&sr=8-1&keywords=japanese+step+down+converter

I would also recommend a Megaflashrom SD which makes it easy to copy files back and forth from a PC using an Micro SD card. The latest model also has a 512KB Ram extension built in which can be useful as most Japanese MSX only come with 64KB

Edited by Maggoo

They're nice enough systems, but honestly, unless you're a collector of every system like some of us are on here, it's not really worth all of the effort. The fact remains it was a third tier system and there's really very little in the way of stand-out software or features.

• Like 1

I believe they were released in the US but I am having a hard time finding anything related to buy for it including the computer..

Are they very rare?

I do remember the game show "Starcade" would sometimes give these away as prizes. Other than that I've never really seen one outside of a magazine ad, but if Starcade was giving them away as prizes, they must have been sold somewhere in the states (west coast maybe?).

Slightly O/T, but was there ever any third-party software released for this computer (other than the "generic" MSX software that could be made to work on the system).

Good question. I only have and have ever seen first party cassettes and cartridges. I can't imagine it being on the market long enough for it to have any notable third party support. I'm sure one-man-shops might have produced a product or two.

Roger Samdal has a list of software on his site. It looks to consist of Spectravideo releases, a bunch of converted Konami cartridge games (probably never released commercially?) and a few more.

http://www.samdal.com/svsoftware.htm

Both Punchy and Zakil Wood existed for the MSX (Punchy also for ZX Spectrum, C64 and Plus/4) so it is possible both games in SVI versions are MSX conversions. The fact Mr Micro was an UK company really doesn't change much.

Edit: There is a XML file on mamedev.org that says Zakil Wood is © 1984 while the MSX version clearly says 1985 on the startup screen, so perhaps it suggests Mr Micro made original SVI software after all.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Perhaps $150 - 200 depending if you can find the buyer? I'm not kidding, at least over here in Sweden where Spectravideo is fairly "common", prices on those SVI-318 and SVI-328 have sky rocketed in the past two years.

For instance, this rather beefy package with one boxed SVI-318, two loose SVI-328, adapter for ColecoVision games, Super Expander, floppy drive, joysticks, tapes, disks, manuals went for 6766 SEK (equals about $800) with 47 bids and 9 different bidders. And there have been several more auctions, smaller packages still yielding a lot of money.

http://www.tradera.com/item/340854/229373355/spectravideo-med-tillbehor-spel-och-manualer

Then again, the interest in the US might not be nearly as high so YMMV.

They're nice enough systems, but honestly, unless you're a collector of every system like some of us are on here, it's not really worth all of the effort. The fact remains it was a third tier system and there's really very little in the way of stand-out software or features.

Cannot agree with that. There is enough exclusieve software for the system, also the system is the birthground of a lot of great games.

Aleste

Antarctic Adventure

Penguin Adventure

Athletic Land

Bomberman

The Castle

Castle Excellent

Daisenryaku

Dragon Slayer IV: Drasle Family

Eggerland Mystery (This game and its MSX sequel were the first two games in the Adventures of Lolo series)

Golvellius

The Goonies (Substantially different from the two NES games)

Gradius 2 (Known as Nemesis II in Europe, unrelated to the arcade Gradius II)

Gofer no Yabou: Episode II (Known as Nemesis III: The Eve of Destruction in Europe)

Herzog

Kings Knight

King's Valley

Knightmare

Knightmare II: The Maze of Galious (the game that inspired La-Mulana)

Knightmare III: Shalom

The first two games in the Metal Gear franchise

Metal Gear (before it was "ported" to the NES)

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Parodius (Yes, it started out on the MSX, not with the arcade game Parodius Da!.)

Payload

Princess Maker

Puyo Puyo (Again, predating the more popular arcade game)

Roller Ball

Rune Master

Snatcher

SD Snatcher

Space Manbow

Uncharted Waters

Undeadline

Uşas

Xevious: Fardraut Saga

Yie Ar Kung Fu 2

Zanac

Source http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/MSX?from=Main.MSX

In the Netherlands MSX was pretty big, also due to the fact that Philips a Dutch based company jump onboard on the msx standard.

I have 4 msx machines 1 philips vg8020 msx1, a philips vg8235 msx2 360kb floppy, a nms 8250 msx2 with detachable keyboard, and a nms 8245 msx2 model that i modded with a usn floppydisk emulator.

Other msx machines that where available on the Dutch market and sold pretty well are the Sony Hit-bit msx computers. Also Toshiba can be found here.

In Korea they made a console version of the msx1, called the zemmix. They had a few different versions.

Edited by Seob

Cannot agree with that. There is enough exclusieve software for the system, also the system is the birthground of a lot of great games.

You're confusing MSX with SV-318/328, which are NOT MSX systems. I never said anything about MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ systems. Of course those had and continue to get lots of great software. Those I would recommend a million times over an SV-318/328, and have quite a few in my collection.

You're confusing MSX with SV-318/328, which are NOT MSX systems. I never said anything about MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ systems. Of course those had and continue to get lots of great software. Those I would recommend a million times over an SV-318/328, and have quite a few in my collection.

Ah my bad, got confused with the mixed talking about the sepctravideo and the msx later in the thread.