IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

Great watching the progress on this. I'm interested in giving it a go if some kind of shopping list and software resources become available. I've got a Flashback and UPCI and would need to pick up a Raspberry Pi and whatever else is needed.

There's not really a whole lot else that you need:

• Raspberry Pi B+.

• Micro-USB power cord that you can splice into the Flashback ribbon cable.

• Network connection for the Pi such as WiFi USB, ethernet patch cable, or ethernet to wireless bridge (I use an Apple Airport Express).

• FTP program like Cyberduck to get ROMs onto the Pi.

I'll be happy to share the image of my PiNTV SD card (minus the ROMs, exec, grom, etc), but it's like 3 gigs so I'd need a place to host it...

Edited by Byte Knight
  • Like 1

cant you open the controller and just swap the wires?

Yes. In the Flashback controller the wires are soldered to a small daughterboard. It's very easy to desolder / re-solder them in the 'correct' order. You could also use one of my adapter cables. I will likely go that route when I put my Pi-Flashback together, although I'll make the adapter cables as short as possible (a couple inches max) with metal serial port connectors so it will be nice and compact.

Yes. In the Flashback controller the wires are soldered to a small daughterboard. It's very easy to desolder / re-solder them in the 'correct' order. You could also use one of my adapter cables. I will likely go that route when I put my Pi-Flashback together, although I'll make the adapter cables as short as possible (a couple inches max) with metal serial port connectors so it will be nice and compact.

The firmware update for the Ultimate PC Interface has been updated. The Intellivsion Flashback controllers are supported and are recognized by default. No additional adapter cables are needed. (Visit link below)

Instructions on how to put together Byte Knight's Ultimate Intellivision Flashback can be found at: (minus the case)

http://www.intellivision.us/raspberry/raspberry.php

It is a very easy process and you will be happy you did this. I have found myself playing games way more now than before. The video output is PERFECT, emulation is PERFECT, and the sound is PERFECT! This really is the Ultimate system.

Thank you Byte Night for your help and inspiration. I would not have done it without you.

• Like 3

For those of you wondering why you would want to setup a Raspberry PI.

post-6868-0-50426900-1417545684_thumb.jpg post-6868-0-02866700-1417545699_thumb.jpg

My reasons are because it is extremely small, requires little power (I do not power it off), has HDMI output, allows me to play other systems, and I play the games more!

You will notice that I have no keyboard hooked up. There is no need for it. The Intellivision controller allows me to exit the different emulators. I could hook up the Colecovision controller and Atari controller but prefer the Intellivision controllers.

I do plan on putting the Ultimate Interface in the PI case. I just wanted to show you a simple solution without the need to modify hardware.

I started a thread on the Intellivision.us site. If you set up a Raspberry and would like help, please visit:

http://www.intellivision.us/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=258

Edited by intvdave
  • Like 8

For those of you wondering why you would want to setup a Raspberry PI.

pi1.jpg pi2.jpg

My reasons are because it is extremely small, requires little power (I do not power it off), has HDMI output, allows me to play other systems, and I play the games more!

You will notice that I have no keyboard hooked up. There is no need for it. The Intellivision controller allows me to exit the different emulators. I could hook up the Colecovision controller and Atari controller but prefer the Intellivision controllers.

I do plan on putting the Ultimate Interface in the PI case. I just wanted to show you a simple solution without the need to modify hardware.

I started a thread on the Intellivision.us site. If you set up a Raspberry and would like help, please visit:

http://www.intellivision.us/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=258

is thera anyway i can get the colecovision setup too. Intv and coleco are the 2 systems that arent as good in emulation without the keypad. Everything else i have modified controllers to use the original controllers on the wii.

is thera anyway i can get the colecovision setup too. Intv and coleco are the 2 systems that arent as good in emulation without the keypad. Everything else i have modified controllers to use the original controllers on the wii.

There is as I have it setup on my system. Emulation for the Colecovision is not as good as the Intellivision. Thanks to jzIntv being so perfect!

My Coleco setup has support for one controller with all the keys mapped. I am using the Intellivision controller with the Ultimate Interface (of course) and will test with the Coleco controller soon.

I will document the setup on the intellivision.us forum soon.

How is Intellivision emulation on the Wii? And Colecovision on the Wii? I have the original Wii but the video out is component so I do not expect the video to be as nice as the Raspberry.

There is as I have it setup on my system. Emulation for the Colecovision is not as good as the Intellivision. Thanks to jzIntv being so perfect!

My Coleco setup has support for one controller with all the keys mapped. I am using the Intellivision controller with the Ultimate Interface (of course) and will test with the Coleco controller soon.

I will document the setup on the intellivision.us forum soon.

How is Intellivision emulation on the Wii? And Colecovision on the Wii? I have the original Wii but the video out is component so I do not expect the video to be as nice as the Raspberry.

i dont play the coleco too much cause the keypad menu is annoying. Jzintvwii works great. Looks great. The picture is crystal clear with the component in the emulators. On jzintvwii the keypad uses the right analog stick for everything number except 0, 5, clear, and enter. Those are on the four front buttons. So at least i have useable access to them while playing a game unlike the coleco emu. So i look forward to my raspberry pie flashback mod. Hopefully you will have the ultimate pc interface in stock soon.

i dont play the coleco too much cause the keypad menu is annoying. Jzintvwii works great. Looks great. The picture is crystal clear with the component in the emulators. On jzintvwii the keypad uses the right analog stick for everything number except 0, 5, clear, and enter. Those are on the four front buttons. So at least i have useable access to them while playing a game unlike the coleco emu. So i look forward to my raspberry pie flashback mod. Hopefully you will have the ultimate pc interface in stock soon.

You are using the Wii controllers to play games? I thought maybe you could hook up the original controllers. You will definably enough the Raspberry setup then!

The Ultimate is available again for purchase. Please visit:

http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/interface/interface.php

You are using the Wii controllers to play games? I thought maybe you could hook up the original controllers. You will definably enough the Raspberry setup then!

The Ultimate is available again for purchase. Please visit:

http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/interface/interface.php

i use the classic controller pro to play intv and coleco. I do not have a way to modify for the controllers to fully work. However i have a modded setup to play with controllers from all the other consoles.

My modded classic controller box with two 9 pin and one 15 pin d-sub connectors.

post-30773-0-04420200-1417659230_thumb.jpg

My 9 pin controllers. All will work on atari 2600 and sega master system

post-30773-0-09962000-1417659393_thumb.jpg

My 15 pin controllers. All will work on a neo geo

post-30773-0-62276300-1417659560_thumb.jpg

My 1 player paddle. Works on atari 2600

post-30773-0-19964800-1417659802_thumb.jpg

My nunchuck modded atari controllers

post-30773-0-73883000-1417659849_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 2

I've ordered a Pi B+ also and additional items for this project. I'm really looking forward to seeing how a few people create their setup so I can make some informed decisions about my own box. Really, tinkering with the software will be the tortuous part, I'm thinking, but also what makes this an ultra slick project. Can't wait to see more info. Keep it coming!

Ok, so here's the semifinal layout for my project - I'm still waiting for my micro-USB right angle wire but otherwise it's done. Everything is screwed or Gorilla-glued into place. I'm certainly no Ben Heck - Ben Hackjob would be more appropriate!

post-16548-0-74757500-1417749591_thumb.jpg

A wifi USB device would be a better option as you won't have an Ethernet cable sticking out the back.

post-16548-0-17729000-1417749598_thumb.jpg

I left the rear panel off for access to the various ports - no one looks at the back anyways...

post-16548-0-78621000-1417749613_thumb.jpg

Access for the micro-SD card. The hole is a just a bit bigger than in needs to be. ;)

post-16548-0-05898600-1417749605_thumb.jpg

It still looks like a Flashback from the front!

Edited by Byte Knight