IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

Cool stuff.

Now go with me on this. Can a Raspberry be modified to receive data (roms) via bluetooth from your Pc?

Well, these do have USB ports on them, so there are a few possibilities that come to mind (naïve assumptions here):

• Share the directory on the SD card and use a wireless USB adapter
  • If a full-sized SD card could be used, will the wireless versions of those be accessible?
  • Being really cheap, use the Ethernet cable :P But that's not wireless

I've done very little with Bluetooth file transfers, and it was a few years ago. Was never very pleased with it. Has it gotten better?

Now go with me on this. Can a Raspberry be modified to receive data (roms) via bluetooth from your Pc?

I would not use bluetooth for this. Most of us have a network router. Connect the Raspberry to your network/internet. Once on the network, you can access the Raspberry file system over the network. Use WinScp to copy the games over with a drag and drop interface. Take a look at:

http://www.intellivision.us/raspberry/raspberry.php

for a walk through to how to setup your Raspberry. It contains links to other sites also explaining the network setup.

Take a closer look at my pictures. You may see that I use up 3 of the USB ports:

- Ultimate Interface

- Wireless network

- Wireless keyboard

When I want to play test a game I am developing, I just drag and drop the ROM from my PC to the Raspberry. It may not be a real console but I get to play it on a big TV with perfect video!

For those of you that like to play the games, this is really the best solution. I get to play Intellivision, Colecovision, 5200, and 2600 games all using the Intellivision controller. Yes, i could use other controllers if I wanted to but I am to lazy to change them around.

Cool stuff.

It probably can be done, but it would be complicated. It's much easier to set up a USB wifi network connection as documented here, then use a program like Cyberduck to ftp the files to the Pi.

I'm starting to set up my Pi and am stuck on moving some of the files that intvdave has posted due to permissions not allowing it. Can someone offer up a plain English way to change them using a Mac tool? I've tried using the File Manager app on the Pi, but it won't let me change the folder permissions to let me read/write to the ones I need. I'm also connected to my wifi with a USB dongle, although the connection drops pretty often for some reason I haven't figured out. I moved the game ROMs with SFTP no problem because that folder is already read/write.

I'm starting to set up my Pi and am stuck on moving some of the files that intvdave has posted due to permissions not allowing it. Can someone offer up a plain English way to change them using a Mac tool? I've tried using the File Manager app on the Pi, but it won't let me change the folder permissions to let me read/write to the ones I need. I'm also connected to my wifi with a USB dongle, although the connection drops pretty often for some reason I haven't figured out. I moved the game ROMs with SFTP no problem because that folder is already read/write.

It is stuff like this that at age 52 I still just plug a cartridge into my Intellivision.

I am old, and tired from work everyday and I need to keep it simple where I can....if I can.

Finally wrapped up my project with this. I am pretty pleased with the outcome even though I missed a couple of my goals. I had originally intended on embedding my Stelladaptor in this and although I think there may have been the room (to the left of player one), I didnt want to cut up the front panel. I had also originally want to bring the FB power switch inline but decided that it didnt appear as though it was going to fit well and would have required hacking some wires together which I want to avoid.

The RPi is a launch date (but second to go out batch) B unit. The USB hub is an Insignia (Best Buy) 7 port powered hub powering the RPI and all the accessories. So far, no issues. The keyboard is a Logitech K400 with the tiny dongle plugged into the PI; the other PI USB port is the uplink to the hub. Network access (when needed) is provided via the USB Ethernet dongle pictured. The controller ports on the front are the awesome Visiondaptors. Standard Atari joystick access provided by the Stelladaptor and Mame/other controller access provided by the old XBox 1 wireless controller pictured - I hacked together the Xbox port-to-USB cable a long time ago. I have had to do ZERO configuration on all of these things I have plugged in other than making 1 small change in the 'interfaces' file to provided DHCP to the USB Ethernet adaptor.

All in all I'm liking my new 'Ultimate Intellivison Flashback. Many thanks to Dave and Tom for their help and communications as I was putting this together.

post-21248-0-86098900-1418440657_thumb.jpg

post-21248-0-39053600-1418440699_thumb.jpg

post-21248-0-93608700-1418440724_thumb.jpg

post-21248-0-42183600-1418440749_thumb.jpg

post-21248-0-47376200-1418440782_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Are you logging into the Raspberry as root or pi? Both have the same password. root should give you all the access you need.

Try logging on to you Pi as username "root" and password "raspberry". If you're in command line on your Pi add "sudo" before your command.

Lookin' good! How do you plan to hook up the controllers?

if you look you see they ultimate pc adapter is wired up to the original controller ports. This is my fully modded system using the original ports. You will see more when i make the tutorial i took a ton of pictures forpost-30773-0-33477700-1418450576_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2

BEAUTIFUL job! Are you using the power off the Flashback? How come you do not have a USB wifi? I love the idea of having a USB extension.

my wifi dongle was shipped out today. I forgot to order it earlier.. Oops! :) i removed all of the circuits off of the mainboard and wired the ultimate pc interface to it. Only had to remove 18 resistors but i am ocd and thorough and i believe better safe than sorry so i removed everything from the board. I wired the original powerboard power and reset to the pi. I use the flashbacks power supply to power it and the reset button is wired to the "run" pin on the pi to reset the whole system without powering off. I did the usb dongle cause u want an external usb and i wanted to keep the case 100% intact.

post-30773-0-91911000-1418451302_thumb.jpg

Apparently i went mad and missed a few capacitors/resistors/diodes. Whatever the are. :lol:

Edited by pimpmaul69

Very nice job mckafka99! Thanks for sharing!

Could you have used the visiondaptors for the 2600 controllers?

Thanks! I hadn't given thought to just using the existing VIsiondaptor ports for 2600 controllers. Will they work while in Intellivision mode or would I have to flip them to Colecovision (or some other) mode?

Thanks! I hadn't given thought to just using the existing VIsiondaptor ports for 2600 controllers. Will they work while in Intellivision mode or would I have to flip them to Colecovision (or some other) mode?

Colecovision mode will work for the 2600 controller. I only have the Ultimate. I do not know if the visiondaptor has an autosense mode. With the Ultimate, you can have an Intellivision controller plugged in and a Colecovison/2600 controller plugged in working at the same time. Since the visionadaptors are 2 seperate units, you could do this also. You probably just need to configure the emulators correctly.