IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

That's the kit I bought. Has everything I needed to get started, minus some additional cables for fitting everything into the Flashback case.

Oh, and I finally got everything configured properly with game files copied over. Pretty slick. I used David's instructions, links, and files. Locating the directory where Emulation Station saves the game box images is tricky, but once you find it you can customize what shows up for each game.

The path is: /home/pi/.emulationstation/downloaded_images/intellivision/yourpicturefile.xxx (although I guess you could store them somewhere else if you wanted to. I haven't found a good place that documents exactly how Emulation Station does its thing. It's been trial and error for me. It's all good if everything works at the end of the day, though.

Edited by mthompson

That's the kit I bought. Has everything I needed to get started, minus some additional cables for fitting everything into the Flashback case.

Oh, and I finally got everything configured properly with game files copied over. Pretty slick. I used David's instructions, links, and files. Locating the directory where Emulation Station saves the game box images is tricky, but once you find it you can customize what shows up for each game.

The path is: /home/pi/.emulationstation/downloaded_images/intellivision/yourpicturefile.xxx (although I guess you could store them somewhere else if you wanted to. I haven't found a good place that documents exactly how Emulation Station does its thing. It's been trial and error for me. It's all good if everything works at the end of the day, though.

damn. I wish i had found that kit. Cheap cheap cheap. I paid that much for the pi board alone. Im done editing software until i get my wifi dongle in so i dont have to have my finished flashback stuck open with a ethernet cord hanging off of it. Edited by pimpmaul69

If you're going to edit the meta data for the games (images & info), be aware that the changes won't be saved for the next reboot unless you use the command to Quit EmulationStation and then log off and shut down the Pi separately when you're done. If you just select Restart System or Shutdown System from the Quit menu, the changes won't be saved (even though you selected Save earlier in the process).

post-39531-0-42639000-1418618860_thumb.jpg

Maybe this is old hat to some folks, but I learned the hard way and thought I'd pass the info along. You can also edit the gamelist.xml file manually, but that's even more of a pain.

Other than that, things are working great, and I hooked it up to my 55" TV today and enjoyed some games with the wife. I never thought it could look so good or be so handy to play. :thumbsup:

Next up: installing everything in the Flashback case.

Edited by mthompson
  • Like 1

Love you crazy kids. I was going to hire a Raspberry Pi programmer for another project…I still will, but I really want to try this. LOL. I will never made it work…but want to try...

Love this thread.

Looks great! The only problem I can see with repurposing the Flashback shell is that the controller ports are too far apart to connect an ECS Keyboard or Music Synthesizer (provided that this version of JZIntv supports them). Maybe another side project for Rick Reynolds. :)

Edited by bikeguychicago

Looks great! The only problem I can see with repurposing the Flashback shell is that the controller ports are too far apart to connect an ECS Keyboard or Music Synthesizer (provided that this version of JZIntv supports them). Maybe another side project for Rick Reynolds. :)

Eh, I'll just wimp out and suggest you use two DB9 extension cables... :)

• Like 2

Eh, I'll just wimp out and suggest you use two DB9 extension cables... :)

Well, technically you should be using two ultimate PC interfaces to account for the extra controllers, so yeah, either use the extension cables from the UPCI or add the two new ports in a compatible manner for keyboard / synthesizer. :D

do the usb dongle like i did and then install another ultimate pc interface into a synthesizer with a usb out. ;) Iknow! I know! the idea of altering the synthesizer. :ponder: As soon as a can find a working ecs keyboard i am gonna do that to it. Too bad you cant find any ecs computer crap on ebay anymore. I guess im gonna have to shell out $90 for a brown keyboard only from Australia.... (But hey, it is brown :)) Edited by pimpmaul69

Well, technically you should be using two ultimate PC interfaces to account for the extra controllers, so yeah, either use the extension cables from the UPCI or add the two new ports in a compatible manner for keyboard / synthesizer. :D

Ha! I was solving a different problem (in my head - probably not the problem bikeguy was referring to)! I was just thinking about the spacing of the two ports not being right for the keyboard plugs.

Love you crazy kids. I was going to hire a Raspberry Pi programmer for another project…I still will, but I really want to try this. LOL. I will never made it work…but want to try...

Love this thread.

Go for it! You really don't need to know all that much command line - you can transfer files, create directories, and edit configuration files all through a program like Cyberduck.

I've been working on this project for a week or so and am about 80 percent done but have enough to share my progress. I've got the software side all set up, thanks in no small part to the instructions and files intvdave provided. On the hardware side, I've taken an approach somewhere in-between what Byte Knight and pimpmaul69 did. I wanted to be able to remove the Ultimate PC Interface easily to use, so I sacrificed a female-to-female serial cable to tie in to the Flashback's built-in ports and connect to the UPCI's cables. I needed a little more room inside the case to orient the Pi, so half of the Flashback's main board had to go

post-39531-0-80016400-1418862143_thumb.jpgpost-39531-0-65623700-1418862144_thumb.jpgpost-39531-0-50405200-1418862145_thumb.jpg

I'm using an HDMI extender at the existing AV access and will be adding a USB port extender as well. I still need to wire in the power and reset switches, but it all fits and it all works!

This is a really cool project that I wouldn't have attempted without help from others on the forum, so thanks!

• Like 3

I've been working on this project for a week or so and am about 80 percent done but have enough to share my progress. I've got the software side all set up, thanks in no small part to the instructions and files intvdave provided. On the hardware side, I've taken an approach somewhere in-between what Byte Knight and pimpmaul69 did. I wanted to be able to remove the Ultimate PC Interface easily to use, so I sacrificed a female-to-female serial cable to tie in to the Flashback's built-in ports and connect to the UPCI's cables. I needed a little more room inside the case to orient the Pi, so half of the Flashback's main board had to go

IMG_1610sm.jpg IMG_1611sm.jpg IMG_1612sm.jpg

I'm using an HDMI extender at the existing AV access and will be adding a USB port extender as well. I still need to wire in the power and reset switches, but it all fits and it all works!

This is a really cool project that I wouldn't have attempted without help from others on the forum, so thanks!

you will want to be careful not to force the controller ports up and down. Without the back screw supports you might be able to snap the board where the 2 remaning screws are. I think the ports are long enough (stick out far from the board theyre soldered on) that there would be very little up and down play and they fit tight so it probably wont be a problem but thought i would warn you just in case.

attachicon.gifIMG_1610sm.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_1611sm.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_1612sm.jpg

Holy crap…just ordered the materials….LOL…after seeing this I may have a kit for sale with the INTV Flashback!!!

Hey mthompson. Are you gonna move the ultimate pc adapter? I notice it is blocking a screw hole. With the wood grain pieces able to pop off you have to use all the screw holes.

Yes! The Ultimate is actually not so snug in that corner when you put the bottom of the case back on. Keep the screw holes clear. This is also true on the board with the ports on it. I almost screwed that up ;)

Also, I did a little trimming on the inside of the case. The two posts circled on the case top got trimmed about 1/4 inch so the Pi sits level. The two posts and thin trim circled on the case bottom also got trimmed to gain a little room. The Dremel is a great little tool.

post-39531-0-96939900-1418913162_thumb.jpgpost-39531-0-19630200-1418913162_thumb.jpg

my wifi dongle was shipped out today. I forgot to order it earlier.. Oops! :) i removed all of the circuits off of the mainboard and wired the ultimate pc interface to it. Only had to remove 18 resistors but i am ocd and thorough and i believe better safe than sorry so i removed everything from the board. I wired the original powerboard power and reset to the pi. I use the flashbacks power supply to power it and the reset button is wired to the "run" pin on the pi to reset the whole system without powering off. I did the usb dongle cause u want an external usb and i wanted to keep the case 100% intact.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Apparently i went mad and missed a few capacitors/resistors/diodes. Whatever the are. :lol:

Do you have to remove all the components from the board for the re-purposing to work?

my wifi dongle was shipped out today. I forgot to order it earlier.. Oops! :) i removed all of the circuits off of the mainboard and wired the ultimate pc interface to it. Only had to remove 18 resistors but i am ocd and thorough and i believe better safe than sorry so i removed everything from the board. I wired the original powerboard power and reset to the pi. I use the flashbacks power supply to power it and the reset button is wired to the "run" pin on the pi to reset the whole system without powering off. I did the usb dongle cause u want an external usb and i wanted to keep the case 100% intact.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Apparently i went mad and missed a few capacitors/resistors/diodes. Whatever the are. :lol:

Hello,

Just a thought, why not just use a dremel tool and cut across the red line, see attached image? That will save lots of time taking all those components off of the board.

Hello,

Just a thought, why not just use a dremel tool and cut across the red line, see attached image? That will save lots of time taking all those components off of the board.

INTV_FL_BOARD.jpg

they are really easy to remove. Just blob solder all over them and wipe them off with your soldering iron. I wouldnt dremel the board cause it is a terrible spot to create a weak point in the board. Just my two cents.. Edited by pimpmaul69

The controller ports seem to have traces on both the top and bottom of the board, although I have not taken mine apart to confirm this.

I, personally, would probably cut the traces (with an exacto knife, not a dremel as a dremel would weaken that spot too much as pimpmaul69 said) on the bottom and top of the board if leaving all components.

Seems everyone has their own way... which is good to see different techniques.

The controller ports seem to have traces on both the top and bottom of the board, although I have not taken mine apart to confirm this.

I, personally, would probably cut the traces (with an exacto knife, not a dremel as a dremel would weaken that spot too much as pimpmaul69 said) on the bottom and top of the board if leaving all components.

Seems everyone has their own way... which is good to see different techniques.

i feel that if someone can solder the wires on they can remove these capacitors. If you suck and remove a solder pad, who cares? You arent using them again. But you are right about the traces on the component side of the board. You could cut the traces or just remove rn3, rn4, rn6, and rn7.