IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

Thanks for all your help and sorry about my noob questions.

I checked opt/configs/videopac/retroarch.cfg and all the mappings for UPCI are already there. I think o2em doesn't support to map the numeric keys on a joypad (Intellivision keypads 0-9).

Atari2600 joystick works fine now. Because the Atari2600 joystick has only one firebutton, could I plug on port B another controller (for example Intellivison controller) to use reset/start and exit? In other words, is UPCI capable to read different controllers on A/B?

I also tried to hook up my 9-pin Famulator joypads but UPCI doesn't read them. I haven't found any infos on the intellivision.us. Will this be a next feature? Then we could also play NES/Famicom ;)

Here's a picture:

http://media.engadget.com/img/product/15/bxk/cyber-gadget-famulator-ovq.jpg

I would like to build my pi onto the Intellivison Flashback but don't want to loose the possible controller switch option. Is there a way to build a usb reset switch, that UPCI can boot up while switching controllers? I would like to use the Reset button on the Intellivision Flashback.

i use nes controllers on the upci. I modified them with a 9 pin cable wiring them up like the master system controller. Then pin 7 is wired to select and pin 5 is wired to start. The master system setting on the upci supports those two extra buttons and are the same buttons as the genesis controllers start and mode button so you can universally switch between using a genesis controller and that controller. I also made modified turbografx-16 controllers like this too. I can make a modded nes controller for you if you want. I also made a mod for the upci from a genesis controller board that lets me use neo geo controllers and modified snes and turbografx-16 3 button and 6 button controllers on it.

Here are the settings for each controller supported

http://intellivision.us/intvgames/interface/interface.php

post-30773-0-46531100-1459963663_thumb.jpgpost-30773-0-07763900-1459963581_thumb.jpg

Also made an adaptor to use my nes, master system, atari 2600 and turbografx controllers on my genesis controller mod so i dont have to switch modes. My odyssey 2 and fairchild channel f controllers are also rewired to work on the master system mode and this mod as well.

post-30773-0-34689300-1459964481_thumb.jpgpost-30773-0-36349200-1459964504_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 2

That's great.

My QuickJoy 120 and Competition Pro (Amiga) controller works great as well.
Atari Paddles won't work because they are analog, which is such a shame. No fun on Video Olympics/PONG then.

Maybe I will mod an original Famicom controller to 9-pin, which I still have as a spare. Unfortunately the first ones were hard-wired ;(.

As far as the switches go you can desolder the switches and mount new ones on the back or you cand drill a hole in the back to have acces to the switches. You have to remove the upci from the case to put in the flashback. I dont see the purpose of needing the switches cause flashback controllers are better than original ones and you cant use keyboard mode cause you then lose the use of controllers. Better to get another upci to do that.

Here is how i did the back of the flashback if you are interested in making yours look clean with no cables. I also had added a power jack to the back of mine.

post-30773-0-35316200-1459965578_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69

That's great.

My QuickJoy 120 and Competition Pro (Amiga) controller works great as well.

Atari Paddles won't work because they are analog, which is such a shame. No fun on Video Olympics/PONG then.

Maybe I will mod an original Famicom controller to 9-pin, which I still have as a spare. Unfortunately the first ones were hard-wired ;(.

read post above. I use the 2600-daptor II (which is made by the same guy that makes the upci) for the 2600 paddles. I also modified an apple IIe joystick to work on the 2600-daptor as well.

post-30773-0-23564600-1459965937_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69

sorry i don't get it. for what do you use those two usb-ports oh the backpanel?
with the switch-option I meant using different controllers without booting raspberry pi. To change another controller the UPCI needs to be rebooted by removing and plugging on the usb cable.

with the switch-option I meant using different controllers without booting raspberry pi. To change another controller the UPCI needs to be rebooted by removing and plugging on the usb cable.

no it does not need to be unplugged. It activates as soon as it gets power. If you have it plugged in and need to change controllers hold down the button needed to activate that controller mode before providing power to the pi. If you use the flashback you will have control of the power with the power button. You could cut open the usb cable and add an external switch to the 5v wire going to the upci if you want to change controllers on demand. Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

No. Hot-swapping joysticks only work by unplugging the UPCI USB from the Raspberry Pi and pluggin in with the needed buttons. I just tried it by switching from Intellivision -> Atari2600 controller (while holding firebutton). It won't work without booting the UPCI.
Anyway, my RetroPie is fast starting up so no worries about that. If I want to play Atari, I switch the controllers before I boot RetroPie and then the UPCI will recognize it.

Edited by teller

i had added that you can put a switch on the upci 5v cable to allow swapping on demand. And the usb ports on the back of the flashback are for other controllers, hard drives, keyboard, etc... Also the more emulators you are using the longer it will take to boot the pi. Mine takes a little bit cause i have 32 different systems booting up. Edited by pimpmaul69

Hello guys.

Yesterday I just installed "lr-mess" on the RetroPie-Setup (experimental-mode) and can now run the following systems:

- Bally Astrocade

- Fairchild Channel F

- Interton VC 4000

- V-Tech Creativision

- Emerson Arcadia 2001

When I start MESS and want to map my Intellivision Flashback Controller in the MAME 0.171 Menu, no buttons except the Disc-Pad gets recognized.
Does somebody of you know how I can get the Intellivision Flashback Controller over the UPCI running, so that MESS is able to read and map all the keypad and side fire-buttons? The Intellivision Flashback Controller would be the best choice as all the mentioned systems have similar controller types (especially Emerson Arcadia 2001 or Interton VC 4000).
Do I have to put all the mapping infos into the retrocharch.cfg of each system?
Maybe some of you have already set up a running controller script for some of the included MESS systems.
It would be awesome to put this in a future release for the Ultimate Flashback Console Project.

If you would like to know how you can get MESS running please let me know. There are some hints on the wiki page: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/MESS

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Edited by teller

On retropie 2.6 i go to home/pi/.advance/advmess.rc and manually change it. I will post my configs when i get home but you will have to make some changes to what button goes to what. I had to add some stuff that wasn't in the config. I only use it for atari 7800 and fairchild channel f but the channel f has a lot of stuff i had to add

EDIT:Find your config file if it created one and set permissions to 0777

Edited by pimpmaul69

the advmess.rc file is for AdvanceMess, not LR-MESS.

I started to play around with LR-MESS but stopped since it did not support many consoles. I would guess the config file is a retroarch file.

AdvMess works well for me to run the consoles you metioned plus more so I am sticking with it. AdvMess is my default emulator for Colecovision. I will try LR-Mess out when it supports more consoles.

the advmess.rc file is for AdvanceMess, not LR-MESS.

I started to play around with LR-MESS but stopped since it did not support many consoles. I would guess the config file is a retroarch file.

AdvMess works well for me to run the consoles you metioned plus more so I am sticking with it. AdvMess is my default emulator for Colecovision. I will try LR-Mess out when it supports more consoles.

i forgot that it lr-mess was a libretro. I want to add astrocade but i need to get a controller and adapter and im not sure if advmess supports the paddle properly. Edited by pimpmaul69

Wicked. Haven't heard that RetroPie already has AdvanceMess installed on that hidden location.

In es_systems.cfg I find this:

<system>
<name>mame-advmame</name>
<fullname>Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator</fullname>
<path>~/RetroPie/roms/mame-advmame</path>
<extension>.zip .ZIP</extension>
<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ mame-advmame %ROM%</command>
<platform>arcade</platform>
<theme>mame</theme>
</system>
Why is the extension .zip if the roms and bios are stored in non-extracted formats like .bin and .rom (as for example "channelf") in "rom" and "image" directories?

I've found these directories twice, in

configs/mame-advmame/

and

pi/.advance/

About "lr-mess":

I figured out, that "lr-mess" would fully support retroarch.cfg mappings. The question is just which button goes to where. I duplicated the atari2600 retroarch.cfg and tried out. Some buttons like "start" & "select" and "exit" (6+enter) already work fine on the systems.

This is all new territory for me but I would be interested getting my mappings set properly for each system.
I really want to try out AdvanceMess if you let me know how I can run it, cheers.

Edited by teller

i forgot that it lr-mess was a libretro. I want to add astrocade but i need to get a controller and adapter and im not sure if advmess supports the paddle properly.

I had no luck when I tried to get lr-mess to run Astrocade or Channel-F but IntvDave's AdvMess from his site works perfect with the paddles. To get them to work I had to change a line in advmess.rc line - the "input_map[p1_paddlex] joystick(JOY,CONTROL,AXE)" line just needed the correct values that I couldn't seem to get at through the mess gui. I used the advj utility to find out how ADVMESS was seeing the Bally Astrodaptor/Controller. Once that was set, the paddle worked fine. I had to use the mess gui to reverse the paddle direction in games though. This is the site that helped crack this for me: http://www.advancemame.it/doc-advmame

I had no luck when I tried to get lr-mess to run Astrocade or Channel-F but IntvDave's AdvMess from his site works perfect with the paddles. To get them to work I had to change a line in advmess.rc line - the "input_map[p1_paddlex] joystick(JOY,CONTROL,AXE)" line just needed the correct values that I couldn't seem to get at through the mess gui. I used the advj utility to find out how ADVMESS was seeing the Bally Astrodaptor/Controller. Once that was set, the paddle worked fine. I had to use the mess gui to reverse the paddle direction in games though. This is the site that helped crack this for me: http://www.advancemame.it/doc-advmame

i might need help when i do the astrocade. In advmess i have the keyboard keys that act as 1, 2, 3, 4 on the fairchild channel f on the 1-4 keys on the intv keypad and i have exit emulator set on key 5 (button12) but it works on key 8 not key 5. So keys 5, 6, 7, 9, 0, clear and enter do not work in advmess for me. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Edit: do the games on the astrocade use the calculator keys? I dont care about things like basic.

here is how i set up the keys 1-4 on the intv keypad for the buttons 1,2,3,4 on the front of the fairchild system. i also had to map them to keyboard keys 2,3 and 4 since the emulator maps them to 1, c, x, and z on the keyboard for some retarded reason

input_map[p1_button5] keyboard[0,2] or joystick_button[0,9] or joystick_button[1,9]
input_map[p1_button6] keyboard[0,3] or joystick_button[0,10] or joystick_button[1,10]
input_map[p1_button7] keyboard[0,4] or joystick_button[0,11] or joystick_button[1,11]
input_map[p1_start] keyboard[0,1] or joystick_button[0,8] or joystick_button[1,8]
Edited by pimpmaul69

I hacked some of the emulators inputs in AdvMess since they did not work correct or store correctly. An example would be the Intellivision emulation only worked with one controller and I added support for the second emulator. The Colecovision controllers settings were not stored. And I think I hacked a few others which I think were Astrocade and Fairchild since I was trying to get the controllers to work. If you are trying to get the controllers to work in an Advmess emulator, let me know and I can try tunning it.

I tried tuning the Adam emulation but the full keyboard does not work well. I suggest going with AdamEm...but who is using Adam emulation anyways with the Adam keyboard?

i might need help when i do the astrocade. In advmess i have the keyboard keys that act as 1, 2, 3, 4 on the fairchild channel f on the 1-4 keys on the intv keypad and i have exit emulator set on key 5 (button12) but it works on key 8 not key 5. So keys 5, 6, 7, 9, 0, clear and enter do not work in advmess for me. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Edit: do the games on the astrocade use the calculator keys? I dont care about things like basic.

here is how i set up the keys 1-4 on the intv keypad for the buttons 1,2,3,4 on the front of the fairchild system. i also had to map them to keyboard keys 2,3 and 4 since the emulator maps them to 1, c, x, and z on the keyboard for some retarded reason

input_map[p1_button5] keyboard[0,2] or joystick_button[0,9] or joystick_button[1,9]

input_map[p1_button6] keyboard[0,3] or joystick_button[0,10] or joystick_button[1,10]

input_map[p1_button7] keyboard[0,4] or joystick_button[0,11] or joystick_button[1,11]

input_map[p1_start] keyboard[0,1] or joystick_button[0,8] or joystick_button[1,8]

I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood - I was presuming you were talking about using Bally Controllers with the Astrodaptor rather than getting the Intellivision Controller to work in the Astrocade emulator; I havent attempted that, I just use my Intv Controllers (UPCI) for Intelllivision (JZTINV).

I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood - I was presuming you were talking about using Bally Controllers with the Astrodaptor rather than getting the Intellivision Controller to work in the Astrocade emulator; I havent attempted that, I just use my Intv Controllers (UPCI) for Intelllivision (JZTINV).

i am talking about the astrocade controllers. I do have the buttons on the actual fairchild system programmed to the intv controller. I was wondering about the astrocade if you use the calculator on the astrocade system for any games. Because of the problems recognizing all the intellivision keys i would be limited on what can be programmed to them. So do you use any of the calculator keys to play astrocade games?

i need your help to get advmess running odyssey2.

in es_systems.cfg I added this:

<system>
<name>odyssey2</name>
<fullname>Odyssey 2</fullname>
<path>/opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/image/odyssey2</path>
<extension>.bin .BIN</extension>
<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ odyssey2 %ROM%</command>
<platform>odyssey2</platform>
<theme>odyssey2</theme>
</system>
in /opt/retropie/configs/odyssey2/emulators.cfg I added this:
mess="/opt/retropie/emulators/advmame/bin/advmess odyssey2 -cart %BASENAME%.bin"</command>
mess2="/opt/retropie/emulators/advmame/bin/advmess odyssey2“</command>
default="mess"
in /home/pi/.advance/advmess.rc I added this:
dir_image /home/pi/.advance/image
dir_rom /home/pi/.advance/rom

in /home/pi/.advance/rom/odyssey2 I put the bios files:
g7400rom.bin
o2bios.rom
vplus.bin
and in /home/pi/.advance/image/odyssey2 I put all the game roms with .bin extension.
In emulationstation I see the odyssey2 section but unfortunately the games won't launch.
Edited by teller

i need your help to get advmess running odyssey2.

in es_systems.cfg I added this:

<system>

<name>odyssey2</name>

<fullname>Odyssey 2</fullname>

<path>/opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/image/odyssey2</path>

<extension>.bin .BIN</extension>

<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ odyssey2 %ROM%</command>

<platform>odyssey2</platform>

<theme>odyssey2</theme>

</system>

in /opt/retropie/configs/odyssey2/emulators.cfg I added this:

mess="/opt/retropie/emulators/advmame/bin/advmess odyssey2 -cart %BASENAME%.bin"</command>

mess2="/opt/retropie/emulators/advmame/bin/advmess odyssey2</command>

default="mess"

in /home/pi/.advance/advmess.rc I added this:

dir_image /home/pi/.advance/image

dir_rom /home/pi/.advance/rom

in /home/pi/.advance/rom/odyssey2 I put the bios files:

g7400rom.bin

o2bios.rom

vplus.bin

and in /home/pi/.advance/image/odyssey2 I put all the game roms with .bin extension.

In emulationstation I see the odyssey2 section but unfortunately the games won't launch.

For all advmess roms for every system i have i could not get roms to work with spaces in the names. I had to add - and _ in the names with no spaces. "&" didnt work either

Edit: edited post. Please read if all you read was the email

post-30773-0-69104100-1460314202_thumb.jpgpost-30773-0-57455100-1460314247_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69

Got advmess running now ;).

I can now swap between lr-mess and advmess. funilly all my gamelists and boxarts covers run on both emus even I have made just one section for each system in es_systems.cfg. all I had to do is fedding advmess with the needed .bin images and put the lr-mess and advmess lines in the emulators.cfg file for each system.

To me performance-wise there's not really a big improvement running advmess. It maybe depends which system you run with it.

I haven't yet really figured out how to map my intellivision flashback controller in the advmess.rc file. some systems have weird video resolutions (for example arcadia or vc4000). Creativision doesn't work on advmess but it's running ok on lr-mess.

in the advmess menu, most of the keypad buttons won't get recognized in the "input (general settings)". they only work on "input (this system)", so I have to map my controller settings for each game manually.

Of course lr-o2em runs the videopac/odyssey2 much better. Just tried odyssey2 to learn how to run advmess.

Edited by teller