IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

Is there a way to tell the emulator to output in 4:3 instead of 16:9? I don't want to change the output of the RPi, because I still want the front end to be in 16:9. I just want the emulator to play in the original screen ratio.

The aspect ratio is set through the emulators resolution setting. Jzintv has a command switch for this. The command and its switches should be here.

/opt/retropie/configs/intellivision/emulators.cfg

Here is an example.

jzintv="/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv/bin/jzintv -v1 --kbdhackfile=/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv/hackfile.cfg -z1440x1080,8 -f1 -q %ROM%"

default="jzintv"

Edit:

You have to edit emulators.cfg with a text editor. Either plug a usb keyboard into the ultimate flashback or connect through the network from another PC.

Edited by mr_me

"-z1440x1080,8" is 4:3 as is "-z1" which is 640x480 or "-z3" which is 1024x768. These are all 4:3 aspect ratio but maybe one scales better on your TV.

Here are instructions to accessing Retropie files over a network (try samba shares).

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Transferring-Roms

Here are instructions for setting up wifi.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Wifi

If you hook up a usb keyboard you can exit out of EmulationStation to a command line and edit a the file with the command below (guessing the optional Raspbian desktop was not installed).

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/intellivision/emulators.cfg

• 4 weeks later...

Where else might this file be? If I go to /opt/retropie/configs, I see a directory named "all". There's a retroarch.cfg in there, but it's a fairly cryptic file.

I did a find, and there is no emulators.cfg file anywhere.

you dont see any other folders than "all"?? There should be folders for every system. One of the folders is intellivision Edited by pimpmaul69

I had no luck when I tried to get lr-mess to run Astrocade or Channel-F but IntvDave's AdvMess from his site works perfect with the paddles. To get them to work I had to change a line in advmess.rc line - the "input_map[p1_paddlex] joystick(JOY,CONTROL,AXE)" line just needed the correct values that I couldn't seem to get at through the mess gui. I used the advj utility to find out how ADVMESS was seeing the Bally Astrodaptor/Controller. Once that was set, the paddle worked fine. I had to use the mess gui to reverse the paddle direction in games though. This is the site that helped crack this for me: http://www.advancemame.it/doc-advmame

i tried to get astrocade to work with no luck. Can you post the info from your es_systems.cfg and your astrocade config folder and whatever the folders are called and located for the roms and bios. I am assuming you used the mame astro.bin for the bios?

i tried to get astrocade to work with no luck. Can you post the info from your es_systems.cfg and your astrocade config folder and whatever the folders are called and located for the roms and bios. I am assuming you used the mame astro.bin for the bios?

Just moved into a new house a couple of months ago and haven't had a chance to fire up my Emulation Station RPi yet. Will try to do so this weekend and get back here with the details of my Astrocade setup.

The es_systems.cfg is:

<system>
<name>astrocde</name>
<fullname>Bally Astrocade</fullname>
<path>/opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/image/astrocde</path>
<extension>.bin</extension>
<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ astrocde %ROM%</command>
<platform>astrocde</platform>
<theme>astrocde</theme>
</system>

The emulator.cfg is:

mess="/opt/retropie/emulators/advmame/bin/advmess astrocde -cart %BASENAME%.bin"
default="mess"

The es_systems.cfg is:

<system>

<name>astrocde</name>

<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ astrocde %ROM%</command>

<theme>astrocde</theme>

</system>

The emulator.cfg is:

mess="/opt/retropie/emulators/advmame/bin/advmess astrocde -cart %BASENAME%.bin"

default="mess"

thank you. Apparently i had to take the a out of astrocade on everything for it to work right. You are awesome. Edited by pimpmaul69

The es_systems.cfg is:

<system>

<name>astrocde</name>

<theme>astrocde</theme>

</system>

The emulator.cfg is:

default="mess"

You beat me to it. Sorry I didnt get this out sooner. Thanks!

The es_systems.cfg is:

<system>

<name>astrocde</name>

<theme>astrocde</theme>

</system>

The emulator.cfg is:

default="mess"

hey dave, i havent tried coleco yet but does advmess support ms pacman for intv? I have figured out how to add scanlines to every oldschool console and computer i have except for atari 5200, intellivision, coleco, apple ii and c64. Im hoping to coleco and intv off the list.

hey dave, i havent tried coleco yet but does advmess support ms pacman for intv? I have figured out how to add scanlines to every oldschool console and computer i have except for atari 5200, intellivision, coleco, apple ii and c64. Im hoping to coleco and intv off the list.

I customized AdvMess to better support the Inty controllers but did not spend enough time to make it perfect because jzIntv is perfect enough. jzIntv is my default (and only) Intellivision emulator I use. Ms Pac Man will not work with Advmess.

Advmess is my default emulator for the Colecovision and CoolCv is my default for the Adam.

Atari 800 is my default emulator for the 5200. I modified the emulator to support the keypad so that I can play Star Raiders. I believe Advmess was modified also to support the keypad for the same reason but Atari 800 has better video output.

I have not played around with the Apple II emulator.

Scanlines? I am not asking (hahahahaha)

Scanlines? I am not asking (hahahahaha)

I can get both systems to start a 5200 game but I have no clue how to get either to actually start a game. As far as scanlines i prefer the look. In newer systems they use different colors to make shadows and stuff and faces look like a pixelated mess thats unrecognizable without the edge smoothing. Edited by pimpmaul69

I can get both systems to start a 5200 game but I have no clue how to get either to actually start a game. As far as scanlines i prefer the look. In newer systems they use different colors to make shadows and stuff and faces look like a pixelated mess thats unrecognizable without the edge smoothing.

I just tried BallBlazer and Star Raiders. To start the game, you would press the bottom right side button on the Intellivision controller. Sorry but I configured the emulator to support the Intv controller since that is what I use. You can also use the keyboard. F4 starts the game and F5 resets it. On the keyboard, you can press 9,0,= for the settings.

I just tried BallBlazer and Star Raiders. To start the game, you would press the bottom right side button on the Intellivision controller. Sorry but I configured the emulator to support the Intv controller since that is what I use. You can also use the keyboard. F4 starts the game and F5 resets it. On the keyboard, you can press 9,0,= for the settings.

so i had figured it out. F4 starts some games. Some i had to hit f5 first then f4. The ones with the atari logo are the ones i cant get to just start with f4.