IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

Looking over the hackfile i see that for map 0 it says activate with F5 and map 1 activate with F6.

Do I have to do this? When would I? I tried pressing the F5 and F6 buttons on the keyboard when in the Emmulation Station Intellivision section but nothing happens.

The hackfile is just for when jzintv is running, telling the emulator how to deal with input devices like keyboards and controllers. If you're not getting that far (with an Intellivision game running) then the error is being reported by the Pi when it tries to launch jzintv and start a game. If you copied over the version of jzintv compiled specifically for the Pi as well as the new hackfile, all should be well. If not, they're posted on the Ultimate Flashback page at Intellivision.us with instructions telling where to put them.

That's the extent of my knowledge, unfortunately. I also followed the steps on that page and tested before building the Flashback and it all worked. Good luck, and don't give up. Hitting a snag is really frustrating, but this puppy is awesome when it's up and running.

Pretty sure im using the correct grom.bin and exec.bin (they work with the jzIntv on my PC).

What version Emulation Station are you guys using? Im using v2.3. About to try something else.

Yeah im not going to give up on this any time soon. I have way too much money invested in this to do that :)

Just frustrating that this seems so simple to setup yet it doesn't work.

I must have gone through the guide at http://www.intellivision.us/raspberry/raspberry.php like ten times now.

Pretty sure im using the correct grom.bin and exec.bin (they work with the jzIntv on my PC).

What version Emulation Station are you guys using? Im using v2.3. About to try something else.

Yeah im not going to give up on this any time soon. I have way too much money invested in this to do that :)

Just frustrating that this seems so simple to setup yet it doesn't work.

I must have gone through the guide at http://www.intellivision.us/raspberry/raspberry.php like ten times now.

One other thing I can suggest is to double-check the es_systems.cfg file to make sure it's correct. If you manually edited or typed the command for Intellivision games, give it another try. I've inadvertently introduced invisible characters in files before, and that will shut things down. Or just copy over the file from the download at Intellivision.us

Did EmulationStation work fine before you began customizing with the Intellivision files? If so, you can always restore the original RetroPie disc image on the card and begin again. More than one of us here did a do-over. I now do a backup when I make a substantial change and am happy with the results. EmulationStation v2.3

Well I got it to work with RetroPie SD-Card Image V2.4, small, BETA!

http://blog.petrockblock.com/download/retropie-sd-card-image-v2-4-small-beta/

Im just using the jzIntv that came with the image, copied the hackfile, and put this in the es_systems.cfg:

<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 "/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv/bin/jzintv --kbdhackfile=/home/pi/RetroPie/hackfile.cfg -z1920x1080,16 -f1 -q %ROM%" "jzintv"</command>

As you can see, the folder that jzIntv is in changed in V2.4 small beta.

Not sure why I couldn't get RetroPie V2.3 to work. But I think I might look around for another microSD and try it again.

• Like 1

Well I got it to work with RetroPie SD-Card Image V2.4, small, BETA!

http://blog.petrockblock.com/download/retropie-sd-card-image-v2-4-small-beta/

Im just using the jzIntv that came with the image, copied the hackfile, and put this in the es_systems.cfg:

<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 "/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv/bin/jzintv --kbdhackfile=/home/pi/RetroPie/hackfile.cfg -z1920x1080,16 -f1 -q %ROM%" "jzintv"</command>

As you can see, the folder that jzIntv is in changed in V2.4 small beta.

Not sure why I couldn't get RetroPie V2.3 to work. But I think I might look around for another microSD and try it again.

you need the new jzintv to have the shortcut reset and exit on the controller i believe

I got the Atari 2600 games running pretty easily on the Pi, but the controller configuration threw me some curves. Once I got that figured out, I found that both the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashback controllers work pretty well with those games. I made overlays for both and thought I'd share them here.

post-39531-0-89639000-1421091038_thumb.jpg

The attached .zip file has the controller artwork, my configuration files, and instructions for using them. I had the overlays printed as photos at my local Walgreens, so if you do the same, all you have to do is cut them out.

overlays & configs.zip

• Like 3

Since the Pi B+ has four USB ports, another thing I would suggest for this project is a Bluetooth keyboard. With this, you don't have to crack open the Flashback case and plug in a keyboard when you want to add a new game description, figure out the IP address of the Pi, etc. I got this Logitech keyboard from Amazon which works slick without any drivers.

Awesome project. I've been keeping an eye on it and decided to put one together as well. I just have a couple of questions first:

• How will this setup look using the composite out of the Pi B+? I absolutely hate new TVs and have a severe allergy to anything but CRT. ;) Will I just need to change the resolution in a config file?
  • When buying the Ultimate PC Interface, exactly what does it come with if you go with the 1st "Add to Cart" button on that page? I find the layout of that page rather confusing.

Since the Pi B+ has four USB ports, another thing I would suggest for this project is a Bluetooth keyboard. With this, you don't have to crack open the Flashback case and plug in a keyboard when you want to add a new game description, figure out the IP address of the Pi, etc. I got this Logitech keyboard from Amazon which works slick without any drivers.

i setup a bluetooth keyboard mouse (its the size of a small tv remote) got it to pair and it doesnt work at all on this thing. And others have paired this same device before.

Awesome project. I've been keeping an eye on it and decided to put one together as well. I just have a couple of questions first:

• How will this setup look using the composite out of the Pi B+? I absolutely hate new TVs and have a severe allergy to anything but CRT. ;) Will I just need to change the resolution in a config file?
  • When buying the Ultimate PC Interface, exactly what does it come with if you go with the 1st "Add to Cart" button on that page? I find the layout of that page rather confusing.

Composite output should be easy. By default, the Pi looks for an HDMI connection and if it's not there switches to composite. But, you've GOT to try the HDMI output - the quality is amazing and it's hard to go back to the grainy TV's...

The UPCI (first option) is what you need. If you've got an extra USB printer cable (USB-B) then you don't need to order the USB cable. And if you plan on using the Flashback controllers, you don't need the Inty 1 dongles.

Edited by Byte Knight

I've just ordered the lot from Tom (all three items) as I will be using the INTY 1 controllers.

Also a Raspberry Pi is on it's way as well as a WI-FI mini network adapter to plug into a USB port so I don't think I will need a keyboard, is that correct?

Must say I am really looking forward to getting this set up. :thumbsup:

When buying the Ultimate PC Interface, exactly what does it come with if you go with the 1st "Add to Cart" button on that page? I find the layout of that page rather confusing.

It comes with just the interface, which is all you need if you've already got a USB-to-USB-B cable and will be using Intv II, Sears, or Flashback controllers. (edited to correct cable recommendation)

Edited by mthompson

I've just ordered the lot from Tom (all three items) as I will be using the INTY 1 controllers.

Also a Raspberry Pi is on it's way as well as a WI-FI mini network adapter to plug into a USB port so I don't think I will need a keyboard, is that correct?

Sweet! You'll at least need a keyboard to set up the Wifi adapter. As I mentioned above, it's nice to have a Bluetooth keyboard in order to add game descriptions, paths to box art, etc without having to crack open the Flashback and plugging in a keyboard.

Yes, as Byte Knight said you'll need a keyboard at least for the initial setup. You can always bring a USB port out with an extender, but I'd also like to hear more about people's success or lack thereof with Bluetooth. You add a Bluetooth USB dongle? What brand works on the Pi, if any? Is the added power draw a problem?

Sweet! You'll at least need a keyboard to set up the Wifi adapter. As I mentioned above, it's nice to have a Bluetooth keyboard in order to add game descriptions, paths to box art, etc without having to crack open the Flashback and plugging in a keyboard.

I won't be using a flashback (did not order as I don't think they work in Australia) so hopefully the Raspberry case will give access to the USB connectors. This is a exciting project!

Edited by Utopia

Yes, as Byte Knight said you'll need a keyboard at least for the initial setup. You can always bring a USB port out with an extender, but I'd also like to hear more about people's success or lack thereof with Bluetooth. You add a Bluetooth USB dongle? What brand works on the Pi, if any? Is the added power draw a problem?

This is already a great place to compare notes and experiences and in a couple of weeks when everything arrives I will be on board.

I got the Atari 2600 games running pretty easily on the Pi, but the controller configuration threw me some curves. Once I got that figured out, I found that both the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashback controllers work pretty well with those games. I made overlays for both and thought I'd share them here.

attachicon.gifcontrollers.jpg

The attached .zip file has the controller artwork, my configuration files, and instructions for using them. I had the overlays printed as photos at my local Walgreens, so if you do the same, all you have to do is cut them out.

Cool ideal - using the Intellivision or ColecoVision controllers for Atari and then configuring the keypad buttons for the Atari console switches.

Just wanted to point out that the Atari CX-40 joystick will also work on the Ultimate. Hold the red fire button and it will be detected in Auto-Sense mode. The Ultimate will actually go into original ColecoVision mode, as that and the CX-40 are compatible.

You could use a CX-40 on A and a Intellivision/ColecoVision on B for the console switches. Or for 2 player, swap the controller back and forth between CX-40 and an original ColecoVision. Note: you can't swap with a flashback ColecoVision as it is incompatible.

Tom

Edited by dualcam

Cool ideal - using the Intellivision or ColecoVision controllers for Atari and then configuring the keypad buttons for the Atari console switches.

Just wanted to point out that the Atari CX-40 joystick will also work on the Ultimate. Hold the red fire button and it will be detected in Auto-Sense mode. The Ultimate will actually go into original ColecoVision mode, as that and the CX-40 are compatible.

You could use a CX-40 on A and a Intellivision/ColecoVision on B for the console switches. Or for 2 player, swap the controller back and forth between CX-40 and an original ColecoVision. Note: you can't swap with a flashback ColecoVision as it is incompatible.

Tom

activating an atari controller also activates the original coleco controller. Since i use other emulaters on mine i wired up an nes controller to work like a coleco flashback controller. I set the select and start on the nes controller to keypad # 1 & 2 to match this overlay setup. I have nes, gameboy, gameboy color, turbografx16, super nintendo, genesis, and game gear on mine as well and set them all up with the keys all useable on the flashback controllers so i can wire up other controllers to work on the ultimate flashback with the ultimate pc interface. So i am going to add a sega master system, super nintendo, turbografx16, and genesis controller to work on this console as well.

Gang I have a few questions. I just got my Pi in the mail.

1. I know there is a RetroPie image 2.4.x which has all the emulators and such, but I'm only interested in the Intellivision aspect of it, so.... Has anyone built an image just for the Intellivision related material? For example: The latest version of the jzIntv emulator with fixes to work with the Ultimate PC Interface and Flashback controllers. All the game artwork/information, etc... Essentially a complete OS image with front end, emu, artwork, and settings, etc... Everything minus the roms obviously.

2. Can anyone tell me where the artwork, game information, etc... is stored on the Pi? What folders for example.

Thanks,

John

Edited by Draugr

Did you check out:

http://www.intellivision.us/raspberry/raspberry.php

The problem with providing all the images is that they are tied to the ROM by the name. If the names are different, they images are useless. The best thing to do is "scrape" the net and populate the images yourself after add all your games.

I am currently working on a 2.4 bundle that will contain the Coleco emulator and 5200 emulator....and of course... the 2600 emulator.

I found the setup info that I needed and decided to go ahead and try to complete the setup. Everything seems to be in order but any game I launch shows a gfx/SDL error at the command window then goes back to the Intellivision menu. Anyone else have this problem? The exec.bin, grom.bin are in the proper folder as shown at the intellivision.us website.

Another question. Is there a way to remove the lists of other emulators like the Macintosh/Apple IIe, etc... I would like my system to just load Emulation Station and have the Intellivision as the only emulator available. Can this be done?

Thanks,

John

I found the setup info that I needed and decided to go ahead and try to complete the setup. Everything seems to be in order but any game I launch shows a gfx/SDL error at the command window then goes back to the Intellivision menu. Anyone else have this problem? The exec.bin, grom.bin are in the proper folder as shown at the intellivision.us website.

I get that error also when I hook up my Pi to a particular TV I have that apparently can't handle 1920x1080. Editing the resolution setting in the run command for jzintv should work to cure that. It's in /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

Another question. Is there a way to remove the lists of other emulators like the Macintosh/Apple IIe, etc... I would like my system to just load Emulation Station and have the Intellivision as the only emulator available. Can this be done?

Just remove any files in the roms folder for that emulator and EmulationStation will no longer list it at startup. Also, EmulationStation lists the game systems in the order they appear in the es_systems.cfg file. Rearranging them in that file will let you control that behavior.

• Like 1