IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mo%^$%^ Focker! :)

Thanks mthompson!

The friggin monitor I have that I am using at my build station doesn't do 1080. That's the problem! Well, thanks for the info I was going to post that I was about to restart from scratch and see if that fixes the issue. Glad I won't have to do that again.

I'm on my way out now but when I get back, I'll try my pi on my 1080p monitor or HDTV.

Can't believe I didn't think of that especially when I saw the config file set to 1920x1080.

Thanks Again! :)

John

I get that error also when I hook up my Pi to a particular TV I have that apparently can't handle 1920x1080. Editing the resolution setting in the run command for jzintv should work to cure that. It's in /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

Just remove any files in the roms folder for that emulator and EmulationStation will no longer list it at startup. Also, EmulationStation lists the game systems in the order they appear in the es_systems.cfg file. Rearranging them in that file will let you control that behavior.

i just removed the emulators i didnt want showing up in the es_systems.cfg file
  • Like 1

Question. Has anyone come up with an Intellivision sticker that would fit on a typical Pi Case cover? While I'm making an Intellivision only retro system, I'm not going to butcher my Intellivision FB console (because it will look like crap if I attempt to do it :) ) so I bought a black enclosure for the pi. I'd love to have a sticker or image that I can make into a sticker that would look nice on the outer casing of the Intellivision Pie! :)

If worse comes to worse, I can always find some image online and then have someone on eBay who sells custom made stickers print out the image on a sticker to be used on my case, but I thought I'd ask here first in case someone already thought of this and did some nice sticker/image for the pi.

John

I have a question on cleaning up a scraped database.

My Intellivision list now has duplicate entries for some games and when I try to remove the duplicates from within the metadata editor in Emulationstation the system seems to lock up at the commandline. A reboot shows the file was deleted, or removed from the game list, but this is quite tedious with having to reboot after each delete. Is this a known issue or does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Next question. As I'm going through my game list I am renaming certain game entries. Ex: Astrosmash and Astrosmash Competition. I named them in the metadata editor Astrosmash [Original] and Astrosmash [Competition]. After a reboot though the names are automatically returning to their original defaults. Is there a way to keep the game titles from changing back if I change them manually through the metadata editor?

Thanks,

John

My Intellivision list now has duplicate entries for some games and when I try to remove the duplicates from within the metadata editor in Emulationstation the system seems to lock up at the commandline. A reboot shows the file was deleted, or removed from the game list, but this is quite tedious with having to reboot after each delete. Is this a known issue or does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Next question. As I'm going through my game list I am renaming certain game entries. Ex: Astrosmash and Astrosmash Competition. I named them in the metadata editor Astrosmash [Original] and Astrosmash [Competition]. After a reboot though the names are automatically returning to their original defaults. Is there a way to keep the game titles from changing back if I change them manually through the metadata editor?

The best way to remove duplicates is to manually delete the games in /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/intellivision/ either by command line or remotely with a SFTP program like Cyberduck.

Every time you change the metadata for games, you need to hit F4 and exit EmulationStation in order to save that data. It's a real pain in the ass and one of the reasons I added a Bluetooth keyboard to my Pi.

If you're talking about cleaning up the actual games list, it's stored in an xml file for each system (/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists). If you delete a rom file, the game info remains in this list, but that shouldn't be a problem.

If you've got Astrosmash/Meteor and Astrosmash Competition, you're going to want these box images I whipped up for my menu. Every game needs its own graphic :twisted:

post-39531-0-85499900-1421788939_thumb.jpgpost-39531-0-95847000-1421788940_thumb.jpg

Also, I just discovered that you can have subfolders in your roms directory if you like and organize your game files by type, publisher, etc. Could be handy if you've got scores of games on the menu and don't like scrolling through them.

Thanks for the information everyone and mthompson thanks a lot for those extra images. They are exactly what I'll need.

Does anyone have Donkey Kong Arcade and/or D2K box art?

Thanks Again,

John

PS: Question. I have many images that are in .bin format, some that are in .rom and a few that are in .int. Is there any difference or preference as to which type of images I should have? I read somewhere that the .bin files require a .cfg file for each, but I only see perhaps 2 or 3 .bin files with their .cfg file counterparts. Will this be a problem?

Edited by Draugr

You could custom make one. The Raspberry Pie Cases are all different. It would be easy to make something that looks like the "squarish" Intellivision II. Red Strips and all. I cold do it if you sent me the size of the TOP and the Front Side. If you want the back side two it's just putting the image together in Photoshop for the size you need. I did this in about 60 seconds in Pages with a quick scan of images of the internet. The a really good Top Photo and Front Photo, merge and print on stickers. Just fold at the line between top and front. This wasn't meant as something to use…just a demo.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/jayjames2002/IntvSticker_zps1bab403a.jpgIntvSticker_zps1bab403a.jpg

Question. Has anyone come up with an Intellivision sticker that would fit on a typical Pi Case cover? While I'm making an Intellivision only retro system, I'm not going to butcher my Intellivision FB console (because it will look like crap if I attempt to do it :) ) so I bought a black enclosure for the pi. I'd love to have a sticker or image that I can make into a sticker that would look nice on the outer casing of the Intellivision Pie! :)

Edited by BBWW

I just ordered this Raspberry Pi package from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L87YMGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will I need anything else (with the exception of the Ultimate controller interface) to get this up and running? I would like to get this ultimate intellivision flashback working as well as emulating other systems as well. Is there a good website with tutorials on how to do all of this?

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by killersquirel

I just ordered this Raspberry Pi package from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L87YMGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will I need anything else (with the exception of the Ultimate controller interface) to get this up and running? I would like to get this ultimate intellivision flashback working as well as emulating other systems as well. Is there a good website with tutorials on how to do all of this?

Wow, great price! With that kit and the Ultimate Interface, you're ready to go. If you want to put everything inside the Flashback case, you need a few more supplies, but for the basics, that kit will do nicely.

Right now, David's page at Intellivision.us is the best guide to getting up and running. He said he's planning to release some additional info for Coleco and Atari. I might be able to put together a list of where various settings are stored on the Pi if it would be of help.The RetroPie disk image already has emulators set up for lots of systems, so sometimes it's just a matter of copying over some ROMs and configuring the controllers.

If I manually place box art images in the default image folder for the Intellivision, will scraping overwrite the images I placed in there or will it ignore downloading the remote image if there is a local copy already?

Nothing will be overwritten if you use the Scraper's filters to scrape only games that are missing an image. Plus, the names that the Scraper assigns to the images will probably be different from the images you copy over (the Scraper assigns names like "gamename-image.jpg"). You can always edit the image's path in the metadata to correct any problems. If you scrape after assigning an image to a game, you'll probably have to edit to point back to your original image. Just be sure to exit EmulationStation cleanly, as it doesn't write the changes to file until you quit. F4 is the safe way to go.

Edited by mthompson

I need some further help.

I finally got most of the images and artwork all setup nicely and so I went to try the Retropie on a few 1080p TVs that I have. They all give the "gfx/SDL Error:Unable to set keyboard in raw mode" error. I* even tried scaling back the resolution settings to 1600x900 to test on my monitor that only goes up that high. Still I'm getting that error message. I thought I read that certain microSD cards could be the problem. Is this true? I'm not sure what else could be causing this error.

<command>/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv-1.0-beta4/bin/jzintv --kbdhackfile=/home/pi/RetroPie/hackfile.cfg -z1600x900,16 -f1 -q %ROM%</command>

Anyone else have any idea what might be wrong? Oh and I used the RetroPie image 2.4.2 Beta and then followed the instructions on the intellivision.us site. My Ultimate Controller works fine in the Emulationstation front end.

Thanks,

John

I finally got most of the images and artwork all setup nicely and so I went to try the Retropie on a few 1080p TVs that I have. They all give the "gfx/SDL Error:Unable to set keyboard in raw mode" error.

Are you launching a game while the keyboard is plugged in? EmulationStation doesn't like one of my Apple keyboards but is OK with another one. EmulationStation crashes if I leave it plugged in. Just an idea to try.

I'm going to try starting all over. Can anyone tell me if the following is all I have to do to keep my current rom list, gamelist.xml and rom boxart? Let me know if I am forgetting anything.

1. Backup the "/home/pi/.emulationstation/downloaded_images/intellivision" folder

2. Backup the /RetroPie/roms/Intellivision" folder

3. Backup the gamelist.xml file

Is there anything I'm missing if I want to be able to start all over with a fresh RetroPie image 2.4.2, then just copy the above 3 items back to their proper folders and then all my Intellivision roms/art/and gamelist will be properly restored?

Thanks,

John

I'm going to try starting all over. Can anyone tell me if the following is all I have to do to keep my current rom list, gamelist.xml and rom boxart? Let me know if I am forgetting anything.

1. Backup the "/home/pi/.emulationstation/downloaded_images/intellivision" folder

2. Backup the /RetroPie/roms/Intellivision" folder

3. Backup the gamelist.xml file

Is there anything I'm missing if I want to be able to start all over with a fresh RetroPie image 2.4.2, then just copy the above 3 items back to their proper folders and then all my Intellivision roms/art/and gamelist will be properly restored?

Thanks,

John

Looks about right, but try launching a game before copying over all of your backup files and see if the error appears. That would narrow it down so something in your backup.

I finally got most of the images and artwork all setup nicely and so I went to try the Retropie on a few 1080p TVs that I have. They all give the "gfx/SDL Error:Unable to set keyboard in raw mode" error. I* even tried scaling back the resolution settings to 1600x900 to test on my monitor that only goes up that high. Still I'm getting that error message. I thought I read that certain microSD cards could be the problem. Is this true? I'm not sure what else could be causing this error.

<command>/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv-1.0-beta4/bin/jzintv --kbdhackfile=/home/pi/RetroPie/hackfile.cfg -z1600x900,16 -f1 -q %ROM%</command>

Anyone else have any idea what might be wrong? Oh and I used the RetroPie image 2.4.2 Beta and then followed the instructions on the intellivision.us site. My Ultimate Controller works fine in the Emulationstation front end.

Thanks,

John

try it on 640x480. Also remove -f1. I had this problem. I think i fixed it by changing something in the es_systems.cfg intellivision settings. Edited by pimpmaul69

Thanks,

John

Edit: someone fixed the problem by using the retropie 2.4 small beta instead of the 2.3. You should try that

Edited by pimpmaul69

someone fixed the problem by using the retropie 2.4 small beta instead of the 2.3. You should try that

I am using the 2.4.2 small beta. Still had the problem. This morning I'm going to start over from scratch and test the system during each step to see if I can isolate the cause of the problem.

OK, so I started all over and STILL have the same result. Is there possibly any errors on the intellivision.us installation page? I followed everything as described.

Does anyone have or can make a img file of a working install without the roms and such? I'd like to see if perhaps I am missing something or doing something wrong. If someone has a working setup, then perhaps if I install that img onto my microSD I can test to see if this is a hardware issue on my side, or something I am doing wrong. If anyone can help me further I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

John

PS: I just tried Jzintv on my Windows PC and it worked, so the exec,grom, etc... files are good.

Edited by Draugr