IGNORED

Request: Best Arcade conversions?

Csonicgo

Which games/hacks/homebrews for the 2600 closely mimic the original arcade games? I wanted to make a compilation flash cart for a party soon.

And on another note: Is there a homebrew or hack out there that looks like the original Pong? I remember seeing some screenshots of a homebrew that looked like the original, but couldn't find the ROM.

The Space Invaders Deluxe (hack)... I believe is pretty damn close to the arcade version.

Closer graphically, but it's still a hack of the 2600 Space Invaders and isn't close to the arcade gameplay wise. Very impressive hack, though. INV+ doesn't look as much like the arcade, but is much closer gameplay wise.

Djmips was working on an arcade pong, but it's still a WIP.

As far as others go, there are some nice ports of Pac-Man, including Hack 'Em. Jr. Pac-Man isn't a straight conversion, but plays very close to the original. Star Castle Arcade is a very nice port of a game that was thought impossible on the 2600. There's a neat hack of Space War that makes it play closer to the original. Colony 7 is a very close port of the original.

Edited by BrianC

Space Investigators looks and feels much closer in spirit to the original SI and despite having zero variations is very playable. The sprites are monochrome like the original but there is subtle use of color. IMO the original SI is good but the color palette could use a lot of tweaking.