Hi, fellow Atari fans. I have an Atari 800 lid/hood conundrum.

I have been driving myself mad for the last 3 hours trying to re-attach the lid (or hood) on a 800 model. Incased ROM/OS with latches.

I seem to have stumbled across a paradoxical riddle to which there is no solution or answer or I have failed a rudimentary intelligence test and I am in fact very dumb, which is my preferred outcome if I can get this frigging lid back on before I fire my 800 out of a cannon into the stratosphere.

I should point out that the Atari power latch works fine and that the lid was on fine before I slotted it out and nothing is missing or broken apart from my will to live. (i'm of course exaggerating ; )

I will offer a CIB Designers Pencil cart to who ever helps me get this lid back on. If I use a combination of answers i'll add runner up gifts for any help I use. I 30 second video would be amazing and win (should only take 30 seconds) not 3 hrs my current time wresting this beast to no avail. :mad:

Here is my problem. Any Q? fire away.

Forget the plastic latches for a moment as I cant even figure this out after removing them.

If I remove the screws (which should not even be necessary) the lid will only fit in to the correct position leaving a 8mm gap at the back of the casing where the hood should sit into it's 2cm ingress.

When the back of the hood is in the correct position the screws can no longer be attached because the bottom hood metal plate is now 3mm into the where the screw should be! making it impossible to fit the lid. I can see the latches are supposed to sit on top of the metal plate but i cant seem to achieve this without the back of the hood not being connected as it should.

Pic 1 - correct position of hood metal lip under where screw should sit on top to secure = pic 2 8mm gap at the back of the hood where it should be nestled into ingress.

Pic 3 - incorrect positioning of the metal lip now no room to put the screw = Pic 4 a perfect fit! at the back but then the hood is not attached.

What on earth am I doing wrong?post-29974-0-67551000-1415018629_thumb.jpg post-29974-0-87005500-1415018700_thumb.jpgpost-29974-0-88073200-1415018740_thumb.jpgpost-29974-0-70566700-1415018788_thumb.jpg

Edited by thechallengeofnexar

One of my 800s is tricky to get the top back on. See under the lid where the two metal tabs are? When I put the lid on, I have to press down lightly on those spots from above, then the lid will drop down into the slots for the tabs and it will drop down into position. I can then close the two latches.

Also keep in mind the direction of the tabs...start by having the lid slightly closer to the keyboard from where it should sit, then the lid needs to move slightly towards the rear of the case when installing.

Short version: slide it down and to the rear to install.

Hi, fellow Atari fans. I have an Atari 800 lid/hood conundrum.

I have been driving myself mad for the last 3 hours trying to re-attach the lid (or hood) on a 800 model. Incased ROM/OS with latches.

I seem to have stumbled across a paradoxical riddle to which there is no solution or answer or I have failed a rudimentary intelligence test and I am in fact very dumb, which is my preferred outcome if I can get this frigging lid back on before I fire my 800 out of a cannon into the stratosphere.

I should point out that the Atari power latch works fine and that the lid was on fine before I slotted it out and nothing is missing or broken apart from my will to live. (i'm of course exaggerating ; )

I will offer a CIB Designers Pencil cart to who ever helps me get this lid back on. If I use a combination of answers i'll add runner up gifts for any help I use. I 30 second video would be amazing and win (should only take 30 seconds) not 3 hrs my current time wresting this beast to no avail. :mad:

Here is my problem. Any Q? fire away.

Forget the plastic latches for a moment as I cant even figure this out after removing them.

If I remove the screws (which should not even be necessary) the lid will only fit in to the correct position leaving a 8mm gap at the back of the casing where the hood should sit into it's 2cm ingress.

When the back of the hood is in the correct position the screws can no longer be attached because the bottom hood metal plate is now 3mm into the where the screw should be! making it impossible to fit the lid. I can see the latches are supposed to sit on top of the metal plate but i cant seem to achieve this without the back of the hood not being connected as it should.

Pic 1 - correct position of hood metal lip under where screw should sit on top to secure = pic 2 8mm gap at the back of the hood where it should be nestled into ingress.

Pic 3 - incorrect positioning of the metal lip now no room to put the screw = Pic 4 a perfect fit! at the back but then the hood is not attached.

What on earth am I doing wrong?attachicon.gifP1011000.JPG attachicon.gifP1011004.JPGattachicon.gifP1011002.JPGattachicon.gifP1011007.JPG

You are incorrect thinking the hood should sit flush in the back. The 1/8" gap is correct in the back. Then the latches will be correct.

thanks, if russg is correct then i've been trying to do something i've already achieved and wins, although it doesn't feel right for the back to just lift off so easily. leaving a side gap as well.

I will have another look and see if i'm where I need to be. Thanks to rdea6 and eeun I have the tabs in the correct place and the lid will close and computer will work but the back of the lid is just resting on the back which Cant be right? surely that needs to be more secure. Plus just found a pic of an 800 with the lid as it should be from the back without a near 1cm gap.

I will read again later but not sure about the gap as you can even see it from the side view so will add another pic with tabs, in case i'm not explaining this well.

Thanks all

Antony

Mine takes some finesse to line the two metal tabs lined up to slide in. It takes a little down pressure on the lid to make it happen but I suspect all may be a little different.. When properly in place, I don;t see any big gaps and it looks as expected aesthetically.

post-40106-0-38217100-1415028879_thumb.jpg

post-40106-0-09057400-1415028883_thumb.jpg

Edited by Knimrod
  • Like 1

Thanks Knimrod, my finesse went out of the window and I just snapped the lid clean in half (whoops) :woozy: least I now know it can not be re-attached.

Not the resolution I was after, the worst thing is that it was all fine, then I had a flashback of a lid nightmare months ago and took the lid off thinking "how could I of had a problem before" and got sucked right back into 800 lid hell.

Today has not been a good day.

Thanks for all your help.

thanks, if russg is correct then i've been trying to do something i've already achieved and wins, although it doesn't feel right for the back to just lift off so easily. leaving a side gap as well.

I will have another look and see if i'm where I need to be. Thanks to rdea6 and eeun I have the tabs in the correct place and the lid will close and computer will work but the back of the lid is just resting on the back which Cant be right? surely that needs to be more secure. Plus just found a pic of an 800 with the lid as it should be from the back without a near 1cm gap.

I will read again later but not sure about the gap as you can even see it from the side view so will add another pic with tabs, in case i'm not explaining this well.

Thanks all

Antony

You understand the 'two tabs' on the bottom of the metal plate? Those two tabs sit in two notches in the lower case metal rear. If you don't have

those two tabs in the slots, it will not be fixed in place, will just lift up. If the tabs aren't in the slots you do indeed have a 3/8" slot and it is just

resting there, you can lift it up. You have to lift the front as you slide the two tabs into place in the rear. Then you lower the front into place

and you can put the plastic hold down tabs on the front posts.

Hey , Russg. I now know what tabs you mean in the metal plate, that is invaluable advice for when I get a new lid : )

I have to bare in mind that I was a bit stressed and not thinking when I tried this on Monday, so although others helped and before,(NIm) I thought tabs were the erm..front latches as was seeing red and not reading messages properly. so probably needed a circle around the notches in a pic on the metal plate (or something idiot proof). When I read the word "a little down Pressure" I went all primal and looked like a ape trying to open a tin of beans (no offence to an intelligent primate)

I actually sold the 800 and was due to post it to Germany on Monday so breaking it cost me that sale and I had to buy another 800 (not cheap) to replace for my costumer so as I only truly understood just now reading the "hello! you understand!?" from Russ (too late) and described two notches in the metal plate rear

Even though Nim had pics and was in first with a link, (my mind was all over the place and couldn't find help on that thread (to be fare I probably gave it 1 minute) so was more down to my lack or patience.

I probably needed to see the notches, and my 800 lid had a .08mm gap (almost a cm) and I cant see that in Nims pics.

Technically I still haven't attach the lid but i'm happy to buy one off Knim.

I still haven't managed to attach my broken lid :mad: which is clean in half so I will try properly later as it's a sore subject.

I seem to just to almost black out as soon as I attempt it. Well I mean draw a blank, I often use dramatic terminology.

Originally I thought I needs the whole lid (with grill) I only need the cart lid so front part. I can see its two parts now.

So happy to pay $20 + shipping for that if thats cool? Russg?

Knimrod has the donor lid/parts. I don't have a part-out 800, sorry.

russ you can have Designer Pencil cart with manual and box as I understood your instructions so you win : )

i'm a man of my word and probably saves me breaking more lids in the future ; )

I'll hopefully be able to buy a lid of Knim. Let me know your name and address for postage

That would be great, I suppose if the logo is scratched up it might not be for me, or if too yellow but as I said I have the grill (back section) so just the front flap/cart lid required (which removes from the back grill easily) I thought it was one large hinged piece at first.

That would be great, I suppose if the logo is scratched up it might not be for me, or if too yellow but as I said I have the grill (back section) so just the front flap/cart lid required (which removes from the back grill easily) I thought it was one large hinged piece at first.

Can you make a picture of the problem lid? The metal plate with the tabs on it holds the cart lid hinges in place.

Thanks but cart lid hinges have snapped completely off, this is no longer a how do I fit enquiry. I broke it applying too much pressure.

It's a new lid request but not having much luck although fingers crossed on an offer just waiting a reply.

I'm offering min $25 just for the front lid (the back grill is fine)

• 3 weeks later...