IGNORED

War of the Flappy Bird Clones...

I still think someone should do a Flappy (Bullet) Bill.

Hack Mario 3 into an endless scrolling level consisting of nothing but vertical pipes and a Tanooki Mario with infinite P-Wing. An optional "B" mode with Piranha plants adds to the challenge: the gap is wider (4 bricks instead of 2) but it's a moving target since one piranha plant retracts as the other comes out! :evil:

• 4 weeks later...

The original was a load of old crap to start with. anyone actually cloning it is just showing a complete lack of originality, imagination, and creative thought whatsoever.

Looking forward to your original, imaginative and creative thoughtful project..

But seriously flappy bird is an ideal starter project for anyone looking to get into homebrew. Being original or using imagination can be more of a hinderance when you are learning a new platform.

But seriously flappy bird is an ideal starter project for anyone looking to get into homebrew. Being original or using imagination can be more of a hinderance when you are learning a new platform.

Thats retarded logic right there, Since when do you have to create something amazing to be able to point out something thats crap.

Going by that logic, I hope you have never called a song, film, cartoon, comic, electronic appliance crap. Hope not otherwise that would make you a bit of a hypocrite.

Thats retarded logic right there, Since when do you have to create something amazing to be able to point out something thats crap.

Going by that logic, I hope you have never called a song, film, cartoon, comic, electronic appliance crap. Hope not otherwise that would make you a bit of a hypocrite.

How many of these flappy bird clones have you played?

So why should every game be imaginative or original? What game should people be making?

Not every game should be, you are right, it at least lets us know who is incapable of having an original idea at least.

Nothing wrong with a remake of course, just not a remake of a shitty crappy non-game.

You seem upset by my opinions.

Not every game should be, you are right, it at least lets us know who is incapable of having an original idea at least.

Nothing wrong with a remake of course, just not a remake of a shitty crappy non-game.

Look, getting something running on old hardware is technically impressive, just plain copying of an existing game most people consider shit is neither imaginative or original and the effort would have been better used towards an original idea. All it tells me is this person has technical skills but is only good enough to copy an existing idea.

Look, getting something running on old hardware is technically impressive, just plain copying of an existing game most people consider shit is neither imaginative or original and the effort would have been better used towards an original idea. All it tells me is this person has technical skills but is only good enough to copy an existing idea.

I'm not upset by your opinions because that's exactly what they are, there are many people who like flappy bird or it's derived clones.

So it's debatable that most people consider it to be shit.

Doing a remake of what you consider a good game is ok, but equally that also shows no imagination,originality or creative thought.

So what it really comes down to is that you don't like the game which is fair enough.

I think the effort of making a flappy bird clone on an old machine depends very much on the skills of the developer.

Some might of made the game in a day and so spent little effort, so why not make it?

Others might take longer because they have never programmed on a system, as so it's a learning experience that takes more effort.

But that longer time is not effort wasted if they learned something that can take on to make something more original in the future.

The original was a load of old crap to start with. anyone actually cloning it is just showing a complete lack of originality, imagination, and creative thought whatsoever.

You call a game a piece of crap, then accuse someone of being a hypocrite for calling something as such... :ponder:

I know I couldn't do it. I'm skilled in electronics and passable when it comes to hacking, but mikiex is right; don't ask me to create a program from scratch because it's not as simple as it sounds. I never got beyond a basic title screen and it took me a few hours of head scratching just to get there.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218359-troll-face-my-first-atari-2600-rom/

post-33189-0-41192600-1383802644.png

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 2

I think the effort of making a flappy bird clone on an old machine depends very much on the skills of the developer.

Some might of made the game in a day and so spent little effort, so why not make it?

Others might take longer because they have never programmed on a system, as so it's a learning experience that takes more effort.

But that longer time is not effort wasted if they learned something that can take on to make something more original in the future.

x2

• Like 1

It is a very good first program to code.

It is my first completed game, and I did not make a clone.

The original isn't fun for me.

It's for Atari 2600 and it's in the AtariAge store.

It is simple because it has one input, one player moves only up and down, you need to have something with a gap move from right to left, then add collision detection and score.

Polish it up with funny graphics, sounds, high score, title screen, etc.

@stardust, yeah I think you completely missed the point with the hypocrite comment.

He said I should not be allowed to call a game crap unless I have made games myself.

My point was that everyone does that and is entitled to do it, but if he does believe that is the case then by his own rules he should never have ever called anything crap like a film, music etc unless he has done so himself. other wise he would be a hypocrite.

I wanna see Flappy Bird for the Studio II.

That would be an interesting one the Studio II being that some people considered it the "worst" console ever.

Space invaders looked pretty good on it, seemed to get more out of it compared to the original commercial releases.

I'm wondering if thats because maybe it used proper assembler vs the pseudo machine language

It is a very good first program to code.

It is my first completed game, and I did not make a clone.

The original isn't fun for me.

It's for Atari 2600 and it's in the AtariAge store.

It is simple because it has one input, one player moves only up and down, you need to have something with a gap move from right to left, then add collision detection and score.

Polish it up with funny graphics, sounds, high score, title screen, etc.

Thats another thing, a lot of people didn't make an exact clone - many have small twists.

You call a game a piece of crap, then accuse someone of being a hypocrite for calling something as such... :ponder:

I know I couldn't do it. I'm skilled in electronics and passable when it comes to hacking, but mikiex is right; don't ask me to create a program from scratch because it's not as simple as it sounds. I never got beyond a basic title screen and it took me a few hours of head scratching just to get there.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218359-troll-face-my-first-atari-2600-rom/

post-33189-0-41192600-1383802644.png

Thats cool, it might of taken some time, but I'm sure the next time you try to make something it will be easier. You should keep going.

@stardust, yeah I think you completely missed the point with the hypocrite comment.

He said I should not be allowed to call a game crap unless I have made games myself.

My point was that everyone does that and is entitled to do it, but if he does believe that is the case then by his own rules he should never have ever called anything crap like a film, music etc unless he has done so himself. other wise he would be a hypocrite.

I didn't say that exactly , I don't think you should call a game crap unless you have played it. By playing the original and 2 clones doesn't mean you should call all the others crap without playing them.

I didn't say you should not be allowed to call a game crap unless you have made games yourself, you certainly might have more empathy for game development and also add more weight to your opinions if you did. You should offer some alternatives for what people should be developing.

I didn't say that exactly , I don't think you should call a game crap unless you have played it. By playing the original and 2 clones doesn't mean you should call all the others crap without playing them.

I didn't say you should not be allowed to call a game crap unless you have made games yourself, you certainly might have more empathy for game development and also add more weight to your opinions if you did. You should offer some alternatives for what people should be developing.

Look it may have come across as a little harsh, but TBH that was more to do with my distatse for the source material.

I agree using an existing template can be a good way to hone skills, I just can't understand why anyone would choose that game, least of all why so many people are doing it.