IGNORED

Serial RS232 Extension Cable DB9M to F 9 pin Male to Female

uNi73

Just saw some Cable Extensions for the ATARI 7800 (or 2600 or any other 9 pin thingy)

and they want around 20 Euros.

I found the following Extension on amazon and it's only 1,96 Euro. It should fit into the ATARI when I get rid of the screws,

but will that thing work at all with ATARI Joysticks, ect..?

Thank You!

Serial RS232 Extension Cable DB9M to F 9 pin Male to Female

http://www.amazon.de/Seriell-Verl%C3%A4ngerung-M%C3%A4nnlich-Weiblich-Schwarz/dp/B003OSURU8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415211019&sr=8-1&keywords=verl%C3%A4ngerung+9+polig

I dont read the language but from what I see ... maybe? RS232 doesnt really describe it, sometimes they have pins crossed so you can plug it directly in a modem, sometimes they are wired 1 to 1, sometimes they are missing connections to use cheaper wire, sometimes not

they say its an extension cable so it should work fine, I would wager < 4 euro that it does

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Why is something like this so difficult? :D

Yes, I'm a Hardware-Noob (obvious). Why is a 9pin for an ATARI Joystick even needed? In my childish imagination, a single cable should

be enough. Does every direction plus the fire-button need an own pin (cable) for sending "data" or low-voltage?

Good hint with the Genesis, thx a lot CPUWIZ.

Yes, there is no real data, some pins work active low and some active high, some are connected to caps for analog measurement (crude). Two of the pins by themselves are used for VCC and GND. Then you have UDLR and paddleA, paddleB and fire. That makes 9.