IGNORED

HSC11 Round 20: "S" Sea Dragon

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY - JUST POST A SCORE :)

Making a long overdue return to the HSC is...

Sea Dragon

As we have a single game this will be a short round!

Closes Monday Wednesday 17th 19th November 10pm UK time

Downloads:

Fandal XEX

Atarimagazines Review

Atarimania Info & ATR

sea_dragon.pngsea_dragon_v1_2.gif

Settings - Play as Yeoman (default)

Scoring - standard HSC points

beat former HSC champion poobah's 28,390 for a bonus point

Bonus Challenge - play on Admiral (select/f3)

Have fun!

Edited by therealbountybob
Extended until Wednesday pm

Sea Dragon Tips: The strategy is to keep left of centre before the mines and then move by them, balancing dipping down for mine clearance vs staying at the top for filling up with air. You cannot move left - at all - so have confidence in the diagonals; practice the movement making it inbetween the mines on the first stage. Restart points are throughout the game, read the review link on first post for more info :)

The file copy I played had a crazily high score set and seemed to try and update the disk after each play so maybe it saves the scores? (I didn't want to overwrite other games on the disk so removed it)

Yeoman cue YMCA :music: 9,700

For the bonus challenge play on Admiral (where you have a fast moving sub rr) :-o

• Like 1

I'm going to start joining you when I can and impressing you all with my terrible scores attempt to earn a single point somewhere. I wish I would have thought of this a few days ago but I didn't decide which game to cover in the podcast till then -- would you consider a bonus game of Sabotage? I'm covering that in the next episode.

sabotage_the_hacker_cracker_3.gif

So, yeah: 3050. This is tough. I'll probably be saying that a lot.

post-39022-0-36217800-1415550649_thumb.png

Edited by playermissile

I'm going to start joining you when I can and impressing you all with my terrible scores attempt to earn a single point somewhere. I wish I would have thought of this a few days ago but I didn't decide which game to cover in the podcast till then -- would you consider a bonus game of Sabotage? I'm covering that in the next episode.

The next epsiode?? feel free to post some details here :thumbsup:

Sure Sabotage for a bonus game Atarimania has it (there are several Sabotages so it's the one "Converted from Mark Allen's original Apple ][ game published by On-Line Systems in 1981." Play without guided shells? Not sure if it's keyboard only D,F and Space seemed to work on the emulator :ponder:

There is another nice A8 game 'shoot'? along the same lines (and a version with 2 players at once)

You'll always earn a point here and usually more depending on how many players we muster ;)

Only ONE? :-o

Well that didn't last long eh?!!

The next epsiode?? feel free to post some details here :thumbsup:

I got the technical details from AA user Shamus so I'm going to do a bit of an in-depth look at how the Apple ][ code was modified to run on the 8-bit hardware. Done 5 episodes so far; still looking at 1981 games. I'm looking forward to starting 1982, that's when more variety starts to appear. Link to the show notes in my sig.

Sure Sabotage for a bonus game Atarimania has it (there are several Sabotages so it's the one "Converted from Mark Allen's original Apple ][ game published by On-Line Systems in 1981." Play without guided shells? Not sure if it's keyboard only D,F and Space seemed to work on the emulator :ponder:

Without guided shells sounds good. Paddles do make the game easier on the a2 but I asked about the paddle code and Shamus said that Apple and Atari paddle handling was too different so only keyboard is supported

You'll always earn a point here and usually more depending on how many players we muster ;)

Woohoo! One point for me! Maybe eventually I'll set my sights really high and aim for two.

• Like 1

nice info playermissile :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I really like the Hi-Rise Apple II port (and the modern times Invaders and Galaxian ports) ;-)

After a bunch of goes on Sea Dragon I changed tactic(!) and went low in the cave with the lasers and managed to get near to the end perhaps; I'm not sure if I've seen that before - but I didn't destroy the mine so will need to try again 14,710 :)

I like Sea Dragon, but man does the sound get to you after awhile.

I scored 4000 on my first game, then 6300, and finally 8900 (after a few games between 4000 and 6500 points)

The first time through I totally forgot I had to keep enough air. Not that I didn't die anyway *way* before I ran out of air :)

post-2091-0-61511500-1415673175_thumb.jpg

So I went back after my last post and played Admiral because I had forgotten to the first time around - holy s#!t is that fast!!! But you get 4 times the points I think and even though I only made it to the first set of tunnels (and got a good chunk through) I scored better - 10400

I think I like the faster speed better. It's harder for sure, but Yeoman is so *slow*. I don't know how you PAL players can stand it :)

post-2091-0-00194700-1415674092_thumb.jpg

I'm killing myself because I got to the very end of the tunnel (the screen stops scrolling and you have to shoot your way through two shields).

I got through the first shield but forgot myself and got shot by a freaking laser. If I had been patient I could have easily finished the level.

Ugh :)

post-2091-0-86794400-1415709486_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So I went back after my last post and played Admiral because I had forgotten to the first time around - holy s#!t is that fast!!! But you get 4 times the points I think and even though I only made it to the first set of tunnels (and got a good chunk through) I scored better - 10400

I think I like the faster speed better. It's harder for sure, but Yeoman is so *slow*. I don't know how you PAL players can stand it :)

It kinda adds to the tension! You know you'll not crash into the left side of things but you can't help just release the stick for a nano-second and KABOOM! I got to the end again but only had 1 sub left and ran out of air as I was about to break through so am about to play again... I'm guessing it levels up after each round :ponder:

post-19705-0-79949400-1415726751_thumb.jpg

14,260 :)

p.s. I might be joining you NTSC guys soon well sort of as my Atari parcel [NTSC 800XL] has just arrived from adam242 :thumbsup: hopefully i'll get this setup in the next day or two :)

• Like 2

It kinda adds to the tension! You know you'll not crash into the left side of things but you can't help just release the stick for a nano-second and KABOOM! I got to the end again but only had 1 sub left and ran out of air as I was about to break through so am about to play again... I'm guessing it levels up after each round :ponder:

attachicon.gifSea Dragon Run Away.jpg

14,260 :)

p.s. I might be joining you NTSC guys soon well sort of as my Atari parcel [NTSC 800XL] has just arrived from adam242 :thumbsup: hopefully i'll get this setup in the next day or two :)

Welcome on NTSC board :)

You will get any colors you like..

Edited by firestorm