IGNORED

Dungeon Hunt – a new game for the Atari 8 Bit!

jacobus

OMG the price for this was a complete bargain... you have some serious quality here!

If you have a mail man like ours, you will appreciate tha packaging... It was a bubble pack air mail packet with a corrugated cardboard protector wrapped around the product inside, rubber bands to ensure it stayed put and was followed by the game box and it's packaging!

This package was taped to make it air tight and water resistant... Excellent!

My package was tossed into my open door from 18 feet away by a mail man shouting incoming!

Not a dent... Not scratch.. nothing broken!

First class!!!

Thankyou again!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

OMG the price for this was a complete bargain... you have some serious quality here!

Just arrived, and 100% agree, what a package and what a bargain! I feel like I should send more money! :D

Very nicely done - just seeing and opening the package now is giving me some of that magical feeling of being back in the day of getting your hands on a new great looking game and all the excitement that would accompany it. :)

While I'm still dying here waiting for the package to arrive, I did have some thoughts about the construction part of the game. I wanted to ask a few quick questions that will hopefully hold me over until the package arrives and I go into total 15 year old mode for a day or more... Oh who am I kidding, I'm always acting like a kid anyway. LOL

With the editor is it possible to....

1. Create new walls / doors / other dungeon decorations?

2. Create new monsters and monster graphics? I think this could be a great add-on or extra option for the gamers. I'll explain below.

3. The ability to create new items such as armor or weapons, both stats and graphics?

While it would be GREAT to be able to do these things listed above as a end user, it could also open the door for the programmer(s) to release content packs or disks in the future. A disk with more dungeon wall/decoration art, monster art, item art, or simply a disk with more pre-made dungeons with new art, new monsters, etc... this would give us gamers more content to play with and hopefully more art content to create more dungeons/monsters/items with.

I'm sorry for rambling on about this, especially as I don't exactly know the full extent as to how expandable or playable the game is, but I love games like this and the fact that it is single player and not party based like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master was, makes this even more interesting to me. I'm hoping the author has hit on something big here and that may warrant content packs (free or for sale) as well as expanding on the game by allowing perhaps overland areas, towns, ruins, etc... Of course that might be out of the scope of this game, but perhaps it may be good info to keep written down somewhere in case a Dungeon Hunt II is ever made. I know I'll keep purchasing as I prefer playing games like this over modern junk that is sold today.

Again sorry for rambling on there. If the dang game would get here already, I'd be too busy playing to type these long messages. LOL

Thanks,

John

Edited by Draugr

Hmmm ... interesting questions

The map editor is just that - a map editor. It allows the creation of new mazes using the existing elements, but does not allow the modification of those elements.

That being said, there is an editor for the Player Missile graphics - which would allow users to create their own monsters graphics - not attributes or colours, but the monster itself could be modified. In fact, since I offloaded everything I could in order to save space, the character set could be modded, the dashboard and the text messages are all changeable even the display list). However, the behaviour of the game is not easily changed (until I possibly release the source code one day ;) ).

I would be very happy to see some community sourced mazes for the game - if enough people create them, I'd be open to creating a special version of the game!

In the meantime, I'd be happy to release the PMG editor to anyone who wants it - please let me know.

And thank you to everyone for the great feedback!

• Like 3

Is the disk copy protected? I know it comes with an ATR version on the CD, but for the heck of it I tried to make a copy of the original floppy and it reached a part where the disk drive just kept making a seek noise over and over. I had no troubles writing the ATR to a floppy, so no big deal. It seems to play fine. Doesn't really make sense to copy protect the disk but then provide the ATR. Just wondering if my disk has some errors?

Is the disk copy protected? I know it comes with an ATR version on the CD, but for the heck of it I tried to make a copy of the original floppy and it reached a part where the disk drive just kept making a seek noise over and over. I had no troubles writing the ATR to a floppy, so no big deal. It seems to play fine. Doesn't really make sense to copy protect the disk but then provide the ATR. Just wondering if my disk has some errors?

No copy protection! None! Zero! ;-)

Perhaps the disk had errors? I did test each one, but perhaps there is an error on the unused part of the disk. The .ATR on CD is personalized just like the one on the actual diskette, so feel free to make another copy!

if more get available, please let me know - missed the release :-(

I'm going to hold out for a response from the creator to see if he has any available because I'd like to see the money go to him first, but if he is out of them, I received a copy for doing extensive beta testing. The thing is, I don't currently own any Atari hardware. He already said it was OK if I just decided to sell it. So if he's out of them, send me a private message and we'll see about getting it to you.

Bob

I'm going to hold out for a response from the creator to see if he has any available because I'd like to see the money go to him first, but if he is out of them, I received a copy for doing extensive beta testing. The thing is, I don't currently own any Atari hardware. He already said it was OK if I just decided to sell it. So if he's out of them, send me a private message and we'll see about getting it to you.

Bob

I'd be really curious to know what it would go for on eBay.... ;)

Watcha using to copy it?

Did you try a different Drive?

I will try to copy mine...

I used MyCopyR! and Copymate XE. My drive is an XF551 and I don't think it's the issue as it has never failed any task before.... I got it a year or 2 ago, new old stock from Best. (Yes it cost too much)

Starting at what Copymate says is Sector 2D2 I just start getting the seek noise and Copymate displays ? for each sector after.

It is not a big deal as writing the ATR works fine. I see MyCopyR! sees it as a 130K ED disk, but the ATR is a standard 90K image. I suspect it has something to do with the way the disk was formatted.

Hmm,

I do not think it has something to do with the disk, 90k thats 720 sectors or $2D0 as last sector. If Mycopyr reads further than that, then the drive has to make such a noise (drive seek, etc.), because sectors beyond 2D0 do not exist on a 90k diskette.

It has to do with your XF551 drive - insert a 130k disk (DOS 2.5 format, second VTOC at sector 1024 or $400) and read the DIR, then insert a 90k disk and read the DIR - you get an Error 144, because the XF still thinks to read a 130k disk and does not find the second (non-existing) VTOC on the 90k disk. Its the same with Mycopyr and XF drives, insert a 130k disk first and read/copy it, insert a 90k disk then and Mycopyr (or better the XF551) still tries to read a 130k disk, which will give you errors and lots of noise beyond sector 720/$2D0 because these sectors are just not there. Meaning, the XF551 always has problems when changing formats/densities, no matter if changing from 90k to 130k or to 180k or to 360k or the the other way around...

(At a time when I only had XF drives, I changed all my 90k disks into 130k disks for a little less format/density trouble with the XF551; there exist several sector-copy programs which can do that even with bootdisks - they read 90k and then format & write 130k. Nowadays I don`t do that anymore and primarily use my 1050 drives with Speedy upgrade.)

Hmm,

I do not think it has something to do with the disk, 90k thats 720 sectors or $2D0 as last sector. If Mycopyr reads further than that, then the drive has to make such a noise (drive seek, etc.), because sectors beyond 2D0 do not exist on a 90k diskette.

It has to do with your XF551 drive - insert a 130k disk (DOS 2.5 format, second VTOC at sector 1024 or $400) and read the DIR, then insert a 90k disk and read the DIR - you get an Error 144, because the XF still thinks to read a 130k disk and does not find the second (non-existing) VTOC on the 90k disk. Its the same with Mycopyr and XF drives, insert a 130k disk first and read/copy it, insert a 90k disk then and Mycopyr (or better the XF551) still tries to read a 130k disk, which will give you errors and lots of noise beyond sector 720/$2D0 because these sectors are just not there. Meaning, the XF551 always has problems when changing formats/densities, no matter if changing from 90k to 130k or to 180k or to 360k or the the other way around...

(At a time when I only had XF drives, I changed all my 90k disks into 130k disks for a little less format/density trouble with the XF551; there exist several sector-copy programs which can do that even with bootdisks - they read 90k and then format & write 130k. Nowadays I don`t do that anymore and primarily use my 1050 drives with Speedy upgrade.)

Good Info. Thanks. That would mean that the disk image I made the MyCopyR! disk from was ED.

So I got it to work by simply switching the XF off after MyCopyR! was booted. Then back on, and it backed up the DH disk to a blank 90K image (D2) in ASPEQT.

Thanks! :thumbsup: