IGNORED

Why do YOU collect every new Intv thing that comes out?

Rev

I have been collecting things since I was a kid. My family is in the antique and collectibles business. It's all I know. I love the hunt, the feeling of having "them all", having things nobody else has.

Same thing with me too. Gives me the feeling of being satisfied when getting a complete collection. So I am also into STAR WARS figures and toysoldiers from back in the 1970´s collecting. I think the "hunt" is also a big point in this case.

But why are you an idiot?

I'm guilty, when he was a kid, I carried him in my arms and he fell off... :P

And in topic, I really could become an Intellivision collector if my pockets were deeper, but currently I've had to dedicate to my main collection.

Although I'm pretty sure once I finish my CV collection, I'll feel the urge to start a new collection ;)

Topic misread.

I only get homebrews I like or games I don't have played. I don't know exactly what would happen if I had unlimited funds... probably I would start collecting everything :)

New things are being made now that are not actually games with boxes and instructions.

It is great for me to see this stuff being made such as the cool shirts, Crazy Climbers metal items, the neat looking trading cards I just saw this morning etc.

Since I have all the games it is awesome to see and collect something or anything else for the Intellivision because that is what I do and love! ;-)

OCD... It just doesn't feel right to have pieces missing. If it's worth having, isn't it worth having the whole set? :-D

I'll probably never have an original keyboard component, a Playcable adapter, etc, and I'm fine with that. I know if I didn't luck out and find Spiker in TRU back in '86 I could never justify the $$$ today.

That said, the Intellivision has a special place above & beyond anything else I collect. It's what started me off wanting to do programming, and got me where I am today.

That's why I get all the new releases instead of calling it quits at the original 125. At the end of the day it means too much to me, it's been an incredible 35 years and counting. :)

Oh yea, and.....I used to collect everything mostly because since I work so much I wanted to spend my money on things I enjoy. I like just looking at it all too, so much art work into video games!

Now, I only collect for the Intellivision. In fact I have too much stuff from other systems so I am going to start selling most of it off soon!

For me, the short answer is that I have always like collecting things, but it was the Intellivision that really made me appreciate collections and the concept of completeness.

Long answer:

I had an Intellivision and around 30 loose carts as a kid, but gave all of it away when I learned about girls. Sometime in early college, I started buying up loose NES games (before they really took off in price). I gathered around 80 or so games before losing interest. Sometime in there (circa 1998) I remember going into a Slackers and seeing an Intellivision for sale. I almost bought it, but I thought that $40 for a loose console was high. Man, I really wish I would have gotten back into it in 1998. I totally would have Robot Rubble, League of Light, 4-Tris...... :mad:

Anyway, flash forward to August 2010. I finally decided to get back into retro gaming. I found a guy on Craigslist willing to sell me an Intellivision (with no games) of questionable functionality for $10. MY ORIGINAL INTENT was to find some cheap games to test the console and possibly buy some extra loose games and overlays...ones I remembered having as a kid (Snafu, MLB, Tron, Night Stalker, Sea Battle, Astrosmash, AD&D, Utopia, Frog Bog, Star Strike, etc). At this point, 'thrifty' Jason is willing to invest around $30 max for this hobby. So I go to Trade-N-Games and was surprised to find a bunch of loose carts for $1/ea and even some CIB games for under $5 each. Something about those gatefold boxes....realizing that the color coding was actually for different gaming Networks.....I really don't know what it was, but I wanted more! I started gathering up cheap games at game stores, thrift shops, yard sales, and Craigslist, but quickly realized that these were limited sources. Then I hit eBay - the beginning of the end :roll: Then I find my support group - AtariAge :evil: AtariAge gave me context and history. I began to see the Intellivision library as the 125 - a very doable collection compared to something like NES (large and expensive). I wasn't sure how far I would get, but I knew I would at least try and get as far as my wallet would allow.

I'm still wrestling with completeness. For the most part I want it all, but I have definitely learned to set more realistic limits. I'm also becoming more patient and realizing that it's the hunt that I enjoy as much or more than the trophy. Things like Digiplay and Bandai would be cool, but I'm holding off on those. Same for Internationals, Demos, Test Carts, and other obscurities. I have to be realistic with my budget. I actually just this year started with French Canadian games. I wan't ready to collect them before, but I've wrapped up a lot of other bits so now I'm ready....which leads to some good advice. Break your collecting into subsets and keep your focus somewhat narrow. I started with cheap things, then focused on completing the Networks and 3rd parties, then rarer titles, homebrews for a while, now (slowly) the super rare and pricey stuff.

I suppose I should talk about homebrews :-D I feel like I 'got in' just in time. Intelligentvision had just released the first four 2011 releases (DK Arcade, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Yogi's Frustration, and Adventures of Tron), all of which I missed out on. By March of 2012 Spina the Bee and the newer version of SameGame and Robots were shipping. David mentioned that he had an extra Yogi that he'd be willing to sell, so I bought SameGame and Yogi. I later picked up Spina and just about two of everything from 2012 to present. Why everything? Because I can...and because they seem to be a safe investment - especially buying two of each. I have never sold one and don't really plan to, but someday I may sell or trade the extras to obtain some of the rarities I'm still missing. For now, I have one to play and one to keep minty. I managed to gather up a significant chunk of the homebrews that I missed (with the exception of Robot Rubble, League of Light, and 4-Tris), but I'll continue to look for those. As long as I can I'll keep trying to buy all of the homebrews. If the flood really continues I may have to pick and choose in the future. Until then, I'm all in :)

• Like 2

For me it's about passion, actual gaming, thrill of the hunt, and maybe most important the connection I have with the Inty and my father who passed in 1992 at only 50. I asked for Atari 2600 the Xmas Intellivision was 1st released and got an intellivision instead with the Pack-In, NASL Soccer & Space Battle. I wasn't rich and my dad worked a blue collar job at a pharmaceutical Co. yet he clearly saw the difference in quality and plunked down what was an enormous amount of money then for that. I then got 6 new games the following Xmas, the Intellivoice & all 4 games the Xmas after that, another 6 games at $10 each at beginning of crash and a few games here and there for birthdays or just because. I've had the inty from the very beginning and have fond memories of playing Sea Battle and WC Soccer shootout with my dad. I was buying the INTV games as they were being released in the Mid to late eighties and am partly responsible for Toys R Us carrying the games as I would call and request Intellivision games - even making up names to games that didn't exist - "The 3 Pish Monster" LOL - had the clerk looking for that one for 15 minutes on the shelves. Even when I got my NES, then Genesis, & lastly my regular Xbox, I never completely put my intellivision away and have always had a working unit since Xmas 1979. Obviously a little OCD as well. I also have 2 small boys ages 6 and 4 1/2 that I plan to introduce to intellivision ASAP as soon as my divorce is 100% finalized as I really don't want them playing today's graphic games that take 1 - year to beat. There at a good age now where I can slowly start to introduce 5-10 games at a time. Simply love the intellivision as it's my only real hobby and the only system I actively collect for. I have some of the other flashbacks and one of those Retron systems but that's about it. Long live the Intellivision and all the fond, nostalgic memories it brings.

• Like 4

How about collecting games that are prototypes or demos? Do you care if the game is any fun or are you all in regardless of game play value? If "Hello World" was put on cart, would you buy it?

If you do not care about the game, why are you collecting? Do you like the box artwork? Do you like that it is for the Intellivision and that is all that matters?

I think everyone has to set their own limits. For example, I do have many variants, but I almost never pay up for them and only have what I've collected in lots so many gaps which is fine by me. Also, I have no interest in sealed games (not counting some new homebrews that come that way) as the premium is simply outrageous. I do collect demo and test carts but not any prototypes as I have no interest. Everyone has to set their own agenda and I really want to strike a better balance where I actually play the games which I have done a better job of lately. Super Pro Tennis, Super Chef Burgertime, & Ms. Night Stalker are all games I finally had a chance to play recently and ALL are absolutely excellent!

I collect Intellivision because it was the first "cool" video game I played. I love the artwork on all the homebrew boxes, but the games need to have content also. I don't want the "scene" being flooded with crap put on a cart then sold as a collectible, just my opinion....let's play some GREAT games!

How about collecting games that are prototypes or demos? Do you care if the game is any fun or are you all in regardless of game play value? If "Hello World" was put on cart, would you buy it?

If you do not care about the game, why are you collecting? Do you like the box artwork? Do you like that it is for the Intellivision and that is all that matters?

I have both the hello world demo and prototype, but I am hoping someone will make the boxes. any help there? anyone? The game is actually very fun with great game play. Dave, you know I am joking on this.....I couldn't just post it without that disclaimer! ;-)

What's more important?

The gameplay.

Or

The game package.

----------------

Or is it beyond that? As some say the thrill of collecting no matter what game it is?

Point is. Why do we pay for games we really have no intention of playing. Or play much..

....most of us have access to the roms/emulation/intv compilation/ flashback.

So what need is there for you to have it CIB, and an incomplete game at that. (Old mattel game roms)

Edited by revolutionika

I'm a little of both. I'm a gamer and a completist, so I value great content and playability, but like to collect somewhat for the sake of collecting. I'd be disappointed if game standards dropped to the point of sellers getting lazy. Unfinished games, protos, and demos aren't worth much to me, but I'll buy them cheap for the collection. However, I'll pay more for a quality game and I'm hoping that the neurotic completist subset of Intellivision enthusiasts (like me) are few enough not to fuel the market for mediocre 'hello world-iana' :)