IGNORED

Simon4 for Intv

vprette

started working on the simon game port... this will come after mastermind anyway... so for now just a screenshot from running rom, showing the table with minimal logic to catch the game input...

I'm also considering now a potential cib release for a Triple Fun game including Tris+Mastermind+Simon4.... but it wll depends on people if they are interested or not... will see

logo microlabs

sim1

Edited by vprette
  • Like 1

Ok so i have copied the rom file from my jzintv folder to jzintvwii folder. On jzintv it is 1, 3, 7, 9. But with the same rom on jzintvwii it is numbers 1, 2, 3, 4. Also the first time i enter the game on jzintvwii it automatically answers me wrong. And no buttons will restart it. When it says press disc it does nothing when i do. But if i exit the game and re enter it works. Does this everytime. Not playable cause you use an analog stick for numbers and they are too close together when it is 1-4. The analog stick is easy to hit wrong numbers cause it is setup like this

1 2 3

\ | /

4+6

/ | \

7 8 9

0 & 5 are not on the analog stick but selecting 2 you can accidentally press 1 or 3.

Edited by pimpmaul69

game is ready!

hope you like it

instructions:

hit below keypads for the colors in the grid:

1 - 3

7 - 9

max score is 100

I played it a few times and here is my feedback:

• The input detection is very inaccurate (like it was in Mastermind at first). Sometimes it doesn't register the key press. This is probably because the game is paused while it updates the screen, as mentioned below.
  • The original simon (and any other similar memory game) mapped the colored blocks to their corresponding buttons, so I think it would be better to map the grid to the keypad. If you don't want to have a 3x3 grid on the screen, then make a diamond shape and map 8, 4, 5, 6, 2; or something like that.
  • The sequence is too slow, so it's hard to learn it as a tune. When I reached sequence #7 or #8, I kept forgetting which key came before. The notes in the sequence should play the tones closer together. (I played Simon a lot when I was a kid and now I have the timing tattooed in my brain).
  • It seems to delay input after every key press while it re-draws the screen and puts a status message. This makes playing the game very slow. I should be able to play the sequence at my own pace, or else I risk losing the place in my memory.
  • Once I made it to sequence #9 (wow, that took forever!), and I made a mistake. However, instead of giving me the "game over" message, it jumped directly to the next game. It seems as if it registered my last key press as the switch to the new state.
  • I noticed that the program seems to re-draw the screen every time it needs to update something. Perhaps it would be better if it just erased and re-drew the specific text it is updating, for instance the status message.

That's all for now. Personally, the sluggish input and slow game sequences make the game not very fun to me. Moreover, the weird key layout that does not map directly to the colored display is very confusing as well.

Edited by DZ-Jay

I played it a few times and here is my feedback:

• The input detection is very inaccurate (like it was in Mastermind at first). Sometimes it doesn't register the key press. This is probably because the game is paused while it updates the screen, as mentioned below.
  • The original simon (and any other similar memory game) mapped the colored blocks to their corresponding buttons, so I think it would be better to map the grid to the keypad. If you don't want to have a 3x3 grid on the screen, then make a diamond shape and map 8, 4, 5, 6, 2; or something like that.
  • The sequence is too slow, so it's hard to learn it as a tune. When I reached sequence #7 or #8, I kept forgetting which key came before. The notes in the sequence should play the tones closer together. (I played Simon a lot when I was a kid and now I have the timing tattooed in my brain).
  • It seems to delay input after every key press while it re-draws the screen and puts a status message. This makes playing the game very slow. I should be able to play the sequence at my own pace, or else I risk losing the place in my memory.
  • Once I made it to sequence #9 (wow, that took forever!), and I made a mistake. However, instead of giving me the "game over" message, it jumped directly to the next game. It seems as if it registered my last key press as the switch to the new state.
  • I noticed that the program seems to re-draw the screen every time it needs to update something. Perhaps it would be better if it just erased and re-drew the specific text it is updating, for instance the status message.

That's all for now. Personally, the sluggish input and slow game sequences make the game not very fun to me. Moreover, the weird key layout that does not map directly to the colored display is very confusing as well.

not sure I understood all comments.

-the four colors are mapped to keypad as numbers 1,3,7,9.. the other keypads and disc are not used... so on a overlay you would have the four colors in the corners to be pressed

- i can speed up by not updating the "good"/"wrong" message on screen (to make it readable in fact I introduced a little pause)

- the program re-draw the screen to show a different color and to get back to original color

not sure I understood all comments.

-the four colors are mapped to keypad as numbers 1,3,7,9.. the other keypads and disc are not used... so on a overlay you would have the four colors in the corners to be pressed

It doesn't work like that on my emulator. When I play it on jzIntv, it maps like this:

+---+---+
| 1 | 2 |
+---+---+
| 3 | 4 |
+---+---+

Which in my computer keypad, it maps to keys 7, 8, 9, 4:

+-+-+-+-+
|7|8|9|-|
+-+-+-+-+
|4|5|6|+|
+-+-+-+-+
|1|2|3| |
+-+-+-+E|
| 0 |.| |
+-+-+-+-+

It doesn't work like that on my emulator. When I play it on jzIntv, it maps like this:

+---+---+
| 1 | 2 |
+---+---+
| 3 | 4 |
+---+---+

Which in my computer keypad, it maps to keys 7, 8, 9, 4:

+-+-+-+-+
|7|8|9|-|
+-+-+-+-+
|4|5|6|+|
+-+-+-+-+
|1|2|3| |
+-+-+-+E|
| 0 |.| |
+-+-+-+-+

I use this control

IF CONT2.KEY=1 or CONT1.KEY=1 THEN input=1

IF CONT2.KEY=3 or CONT1.KEY=2 THEN input=2

IF CONT2.KEY=7 or CONT1.KEY=3 THEN input=3

IF CONT2.KEY=9 or CONT1.KEY=4 THEN input=4

so this is the bug.. I will correct

also, for the sound, I use variations of

SOUND 1,300,14

WAIT

SOUND 1,200,14

WAIT

SOUND 1,100,14

for z=1 to 25

wait

next z

SOUND 1,,0

do you have idea how to reproduce the original beeps from the simon game?

I use this control

IF CONT2.KEY=1 or CONT1.KEY=1 THEN input=1

IF CONT2.KEY=3 or CONT1.KEY=2 THEN input=2

IF CONT2.KEY=7 or CONT1.KEY=3 THEN input=3

IF CONT2.KEY=9 or CONT1.KEY=4 THEN input=4

so this is the bug.. I will correct

also, for the sound, I use variations of

SOUND 1,300,14

WAIT

SOUND 1,200,14

WAIT

SOUND 1,100,14

for z=1 to 25

wait

next z

SOUND 1,,0

do you have idea how to reproduce the original beeps from the simon game?

It's not the sounds, but the pace of the tune. I'll check the latest one when I get home.

Plays really great. No pause between moves and controls are corrected. Still have the control issue the first time i boot the game in jzintvwii. Not sure if that bug will show up when you put this into real hardware or not. No complaints here though. It does not show up in pc jzintv so not sure what causes it in jzintvwii.