IGNORED

XF351 for sale on ebay

bob1200xl

The XF351 is a 3.5 inch disk drive that Atari was going to sell for 8-bit computers. From what I understand, the s/w vendors objected to supporting two different media, so Atari shelved it (in my Attic) and brought out the XF551, instead.

Someone mentioned the XF351 on AA so I thought I might get mine out and play with it a little.

Hmmmmm... used to work some, doesn't now. It will respond to SIO but does not read or write.

I have more than enough to do so I thought I would just sell the thing and see if anyone else would be willing to get it going again.

Anyway, it is on ebay if you're interested.

Pardon the advertising but XF351s don't come around very often.

Bob

Hmm... On the XF351, did Atari have a new shell molded or cut out the SIO jack holes (since the ST case has the round holes plus the "sort of Chevrolet badge" front opening)? I've got a pair of Indus GT1000 (3.5" drives) that I used to use with my Floppy board. Looks pretty cool to have a 3-1/2" case for our 8bit.

-Larry

The XF351 is a 3.5 inch disk drive that Atari was going to sell for 8-bit computers. From what I understand, the s/w vendors objected to supporting two different media, so Atari shelved it (in my Attic) and brought out the XF551, instead.

Someone mentioned the XF351 on AA so I thought I might get mine out and play with it a little.

Hmmmmm... used to work some, doesn't now. It will respond to SIO but does not read or write.

I have more than enough to do so I thought I would just sell the thing and see if anyone else would be willing to get it going again.

Anyway, it is on ebay if you're interested.

Pardon the advertising but XF351s don't come around very often.

Bob

Can you post pictures of the back and inside before selling would love to see more about this.

I cannot afford so much for this drive otherwise I had made a bid :-)

Not odd, smart. Saves space, a real issue on such a small (compared to the 1050) drive and....it saves one SIO connector (on the PCB) that you already always have to connect anyways.

It would be really bad if they had left off the SIO connector to daisy-chain it.

Edited by Level42

Yes, a link (and, maybe a picture) would have been nice. I'm still learning...

The round connector is for the power supply.

I don't know how many XF351s were made - not many.

No DOS for the XF351.

I'll take pictures before I send it off.

Yes, for $500 I'd buy it also.

Bob

Yes, well... it isn't dead, just crippled. All the parts are there and it almost works.

It's a collector's item, not an everyday workhorse. If you want a 3.5 inch drive on an 8-bit, use an XF551 converted to a 3.5.

Bob

Yeah, I've been known to drop some serious $$$ on ebay from time to time, but $1000 for something that it tested to not be working?

No, it isn't an ST drive. The controller drives a 'standard' drive so you could probably convert the XF351 to that, but this is a one-of-a-kind item and you really shouldn't hack it up.

Bob

Bob,

Have you considered buying an SF314 or SF354 and swapping out the drive? I'm betting Atari used the same drives for both.

The ST drives often go for cheap, especially the SF354 as it is single sided.

I'm not doubting you, since you own one of these, but this suggests that it is the same mechanism as the SF354.

http://firewi.com/ahs/xf351.html

No, it isn't an ST drive. The controller drives a 'standard' drive so you could probably convert the XF351 to that, but this is a one-of-a-kind item and you really shouldn't hack it up.

Bob

I think it's the same mechanism too. The fact that they used the same controller as the ST's had is another hint in that direction. Plus that drive opening was pretty special....and typical for the ST mechanisms...

It's great that the box is included but I prefer the Warner period for Atari's packaging....it got really cheap and dull in the Tramiel era.

Edited by Level42

Man, I would love to get the board on this thing reproduced for installation in an SF314/354 housing.

I really like that idea !!! would be cool if someone would be willing to offer one of these rare babies for some thorough investigation.....are there schematics ?