IGNORED

XF351 for sale on ebay

bob1200xl

I have an SF354 I can look at tonight. I'll open her up and report back.

OK - is this an SF354 mechanism? I assumed that the ST used regular 34-pin drives. Maybe not? The XF351 drive has a single row of interface pins and what looks like a standard power connector. It is also thicker than a regular 3.5.

Bob

attachicon.gifDSC01422.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01423.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01424.JPG

I'm not doubting you, since you own one of these, but this suggests that it is the same mechanism as the SF354.

http://firewi.com/ahs/xf351.html

In the quoted site kind of infers that the unit is a 1.44MB, but obviously its not. Assuming it is the same mechanism as the SF354 it's single sided 360KB. Apparently these units were very similar in operation to the XF551... so it stands to reason that DOS XE would have been the goto DOS. A double sided version would have been much more useful... the other thing that is incorrect about 1.44MB is that 1.44 MB diskettes and drives were introduced sometime in 1987... and the XF351 developed in 1986 (doesn't the ROM chip have 1986 written on it)?

Edited by bbking67

In the quoted site kind of infers that the unit is a 1.44MB, but obviously its not. Assuming it is the same mechanism as the SF354 it's single sided 360KB. Apparently these units were very similar in operation to the XF551... so it stands to reason that DOS XE would have been the goto DOS. A double sided version would have been much more useful... the other thing that is incorrect about 1.44MB is that 1.44 MB diskettes and drives were introduced sometime in 1987... and the XF351 developed in 1986 (doesn't the ROM chip have 1986 written on it)?

Although 1.44MB capacity is mentioned with reference to 3.5" floppies in general, the article infers to me that the XF351 unit was 720KB DS/DD.

I have only been aware of a 360 and 720 official version of XF3..... that being said my xf551 were updated to 1.4... the bad news..... low density disks all survived the sands of time and worked... the high 1.4 ones over 75% failed after 21 years.... that made bbs back ups useless for reconstruction.

1.44MB floppies are rubbish, IMO. But like I say: that article doesn't suggest for a moment that there was ever a 1.44MB Atari floppy drive. The XF551 mod sounds pretty interesting, though. I didn't even realize this was possible. I'll stick at 720KB, though. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

The XF551 mod is complicated by the less than robust PCB that Atari put out. Otherwise, it is pretty simple.

Some AA member got one of the first XF551s and had a 3.5 in there as soon at he got it open. ( I guess he violated the warranty...) He had to write (in BASIC, no less) an 8040 dis-assembler so he could alter a couple of parameters. That was all it needed.

I have hundreds of 720K, 3.5 8-bit disks. Works great.

Bob

That's a scary thought DOS XE, I've toyed with DOS XE it's pain just to move files over to DOS XE.

Hello Jon

Someone needs to clone that controller board so we can mod our otherwise useless ST floppy drives. :)

Dropcheck?

Sincerely

Mathy

PS I read on her site that's she's back in business. And she could add the second SIO port.

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 1