IGNORED

Tron Light Cycles for Colecovision - Work in progress

parkfun101

I'll have to think about this. I may have to watch the movie again to get ideas.

Okay.

Maybe going through a hole, and having to avoid a Recognizer, or corral a tank? Then advance to another lightcycle grid. That way it's just not an endless loop of defeating enemy cycles and starting another grid. Not talking about anything not in the movie, like adding a gun to the cycle. Either outrunning our out-maneuvering an enemy while traveling between grids.

Edited by frank_c
  • Like 1

Okay.

Maybe going through a hole, and having to avoid a Recognizer, or corral a tank? Then advance to another lightcycle grid. That way it's just not an endless loop of defeating enemy cycles and starting another grid. Not talking about anything not in the movie, like adding a gun to the cycle. Either outrunning our out-maneuvering an enemy while traveling between grids.

Enhanced mode idea:

One idea, that is not too crazy, would be a glowing block that changes color to each light cycle color that is on the grid. If a cycle touches the block, it will get rid of the current light color coming from that color bike. So if I am blue and you are red and I touch the color block when it is red, all the light you emitted from your bike is now gone. You still emit more light, it just erases what you had at the time. You could use this to get out of a tough situation if the color block happens to be near you.

• Like 1

Awesome stuff here, Parkfun! If you're still taking votes, I liked option D best.

If you do implement any of the other levels, what about Super Action controller support? I think it could be fun if the spinner on it were put to use to control the fire direction in the I/O Tower, MCP Cone and tanks, or maybe just use the extra buttons for rotation ala Front Line.

No matter what you decide, love that this is happening!

Awesome stuff here, Parkfun! If you're still taking votes, I liked option D best.

If you do implement any of the other levels, what about Super Action controller support? I think it could be fun if the spinner on it were put to use to control the fire direction in the I/O Tower, MCP Cone and tanks, or maybe just use the extra buttons for rotation ala Front Line.

No matter what you decide, love that this is happening!

Most people on this thread have said to use layout D (the large layout for both Arcade and Enhanced mode) so I'm definitely going that route. I would have done the smaller one for the Arcade mode, but it is just tooooooo small and won't feel true to the arcade in terms of square footage....pixels :)

If I do make any game that uses the spinner, it would also allow for the player to use the joystick instead. The Sinkhole Crisis game I made for the computer, for example, uses the keyboard, however, if it detects a controller, it allows you to use that as well. I think any Colecovision game that only utilizes 1 fire button, should just go ahead and allow you to be able to use either one......just in case one of your fire buttons isn't working........although give me your controller, some aluminum foil, super glue, and a small wire, and I'll get that working to. ;)

How much do you guys think it would cost to make a Tron controller for the ColecoVision? Joystick with trigger and a spinner. No keypad support for the game - just use menu options like what Spiceware does for his 2600 games.

I don't know how much it would cost, but it would be awesome to have that full ports of Tron and Discs of Tron!

I simply love Disc of Tron :lust:

fantastic game!

This reminds me of a question that once occurred to me: Can the Roller Controller accept input from both the trackball and player 2's controller as separate input sources? This would be important for Discs of Tron, because you need the Roller Controller to control the aiming arrow on the walls, and you also need a joystick to move Tron around the round platforms.

This reminds me of a question that once occurred to me: Can the Roller Controller accept input from both the trackball and player 2's controller as separate input sources? This would be important for Discs of Tron, because you need the Roller Controller to control the aiming arrow on the walls, and you also need a joystick to move Tron around the round platforms.

If i remind it correctly, Yes

Colecovision community, I need your help. :?

I've looked over the CV documentation for coding, and tons of example game codes and I was wondering if anyone has some small example code projects in C that could do this for a sprite's COLOR:

Row 1: 00001100

Row 2: 22223322

Row 3: 66655566

etc.

(I can only get 2 colors per sprite. I know there is a way to get 2 colors per row as the documentation for coding shows you can do this, I just don't know how to get it to work and the documentation doesn't show full implementation of this for C code.)

I seem to be able to do this for Ascii Characters on the screen, but not for sprites. I think my problem is that I don't know the put_vram or rle codes, etc. statements to achieve this.

Any help would be truly appreciated. :?:

PM me if anyone has some small examples, or post them here so others will know how to do it (since I couldn't find any examples that work).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to leave for vacation and won't be back till Dec. 8th. However, here are a couple snapshots and updates of my 3 week long progress:

Tron Controller with directions (that are typed out 1 letter at a time) After drawing this, I realized that the Actual Arcade version's controller image isn't all that accurate to the real controller. The Red fire button, for instance, is more curved outward and the backing of the controller is more flat to show the "TRON" logo on it. I had to use a mix of ascii characters and sprites to create the controller graphic.

Controller

New Enhanced Mode - Coop 1P and 2P VS. CPU

Coop1

Currently, the game has these modes:

ARCADE - 1 PLAYER

ARCADE - 2 PLAYER (Alternating)

ENHANCED - 1 PLAYER

ENHANCED - 1P VS 2P

ENHANCED - 1P AND 2P VS CPU (Coop)

I've got the Bonus life at 10000 pts working

Line and wall detection work great

Left or Right fire button is used for faster speed and works now

After 1st round, the enemies go from 1 to 3 like in the Arcade mode. 1 to 2 for Coop mode (for now)

Detection for who won, who lost, etc. works.

1P VS 2P keeps track of who WON. For example: "P1 WINS 5 P2 WINS 3"

* = PAUSE (fire1 or fire2 to continue) works

# = Main Menu works

I created my own destroy line code after a bike crashes
The explosion for the bikes works great and has 3 frames

The text 1ST or 2ND flash so you know whose turn it is (like in the ARCADE version)

Like in Tank Challenge, in a P1 vs P2 game, you can use Left or Right to select the next level....I just need to add some levels.

As you see in the image above, the Controller graphic and text works correctly. I may make it so you can click Fire1 or Fire2 to skip it and the Enhanced version will only have it on the 1st stage probably due to potential sprite flickering issues that could occur.

The title screen's selection works for selecting your mode and I used a small side view of one of the light cycles with multiple colors.
Instead of GAME OVER in Enhanced mode, I say END OF LINE. I thought that made more sense to go along with the movie.
For the COOP mode, I have it now that if both P1 and P2 crash, then you lose a life so you have to play as a team against the CPU.

The game is currently at about 13.5Kb and I plan to use up all the 32Kb on levels and different A.I. code.

I still have a lot of work ahead of me, namely, the A.I. and new levels, but the hard part appears to be over. On the Enhanced modes, I still plan on having the feature that when a CPU bike hits the wall, it will leave a hole that other bikes can go into (if it doesn't end the round). I still think the extra screen will be you having to avoid tanks. Perhaps, if you avoid them and escape, you will get a reward of 5000 pts. and you'll continue on to another stage....something like that. Also, for enhanced mode, I still plan on having a couple weapons that do something when touched like destroy a player's line and another that fires a weapon on both the left and right side of the bike one time. These weapons may require the player to hit them at just the right time to destroy their enemy. The one that destroys lines would be cool if you are trapped in your own color maze and hit the weapon when it is your color....this would clear your color light so you can escape.

• Like 11

I'm getting ready to leave for vacation and won't be back till Dec. 8th. However, here are a couple snapshots and updates of my 3 week long progress:

Tron Controller with directions (that are typed out 1 letter at a time) After drawing this, I realized that the Actual Arcade version's controller image isn't all that accurate to the real controller. The Red fire button, for instance, is more curved outward and the backing of the controller is more flat to show the "TRON" logo on it. I had to use a mix of ascii characters and sprites to create the controller graphic.

New Enhanced Mode - Coop 1P and 2P VS. CPU

Currently, the game has these modes:

ARCADE - 1 PLAYER

ARCADE - 2 PLAYER (Alternating)

ENHANCED - 1 PLAYER

ENHANCED - 1P VS 2P

ENHANCED - 1P AND 2P VS CPU (Coop)

I've got the Bonus life at 10000 pts working

Line and wall detection work great

Left or Right fire button is used for faster speed and works now

After 1st round, the enemies go from 1 to 3 like in the Arcade mode. 1 to 2 for Coop mode (for now)

Detection for who won, who lost, etc. works.

1P VS 2P keeps track of who WON. For example: "P1 WINS 5 P2 WINS 3"

* = PAUSE (fire1 or fire2 to continue) works

# = Main Menu works

I created my own destroy line code after a bike crashes

The explosion for the bikes works great and has 3 frames

The text 1ST or 2ND flash so you know whose turn it is (like in the ARCADE version)

Like in Tank Challenge, in a P1 vs P2 game, you can use Left or Right to select the next level....I just need to add some levels.

As you see in the image above, the Controller graphic and text works correctly. I may make it so you can click Fire1 or Fire2 to skip it and the Enhanced version will only have it on the 1st stage probably due to potential sprite flickering issues that could occur.

The title screen's selection works for selecting your mode and I used a small side view of one of the light cycles with multiple colors.

Instead of GAME OVER in Enhanced mode, I say END OF LINE. I thought that made more sense to go along with the movie.

For the COOP mode, I have it now that if both P1 and P2 crash, then you lose a life so you have to play as a team against the CPU.

The game is currently at about 13.5Kb and I plan to use up all the 32Kb on levels and different A.I. code.

I still have a lot of work ahead of me, namely, the A.I. and new levels, but the hard part appears to be over. On the Enhanced modes, I still plan on having the feature that when a CPU bike hits the wall, it will leave a hole that other bikes can go into (if it doesn't end the round). I still think the extra screen will be you having to avoid tanks. Perhaps, if you avoid them and escape, you will get a reward of 5000 pts. and you'll continue on to another stage....something like that. Also, for enhanced mode, I still plan on having a couple weapons that do something when touched like destroy a player's line and another that fires a weapon on both the left and right side of the bike one time. These weapons may require the player to hit them at just the right time to destroy their enemy. The one that destroys lines would be cool if you are trapped in your own color maze and hit the weapon when it is your color....this would clear your color light so you can escape.

AWESOME!!!! Cant wait to interview you after the holidays :)

Looking forward to it!!! I'm also excited because I just got the typing sound when the instructions are displayed about as perfect as I could hope for. My wife heard the MAME version and then my Colecovision version and couldn't tell the difference! Now I just have to figure out the other sound effects.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to give an update. Thevnaguy a.k.a. ArcadeUSA was nice enough to come by and do some video of my progress for the Light Cycle Racing game (Tron) so far. The recording was done on an AV modded Colecovision. I would have shown it on my F18A modded one, but that day I accidentally static shocked my P2 port. :(

NOTE: The CPU character is currently controlled by Player 1 and has slow speed for testing purposes. This will be changed later.

Since this taping, the 2 minor bugs I found during this recording have already been fixed. I added the Line destroyer weapon for the Enhanced mode as well. Also, like the Arcade version, the Title screen now displays the scores at the top. Next, I'm planning on working on the design for new levels. Several of the levels may have the teleporter from the Tank game built into them, so yes on some levels you will probably be able to teleport.

WARNING: I talk a lot in this video :) SKIP to 4:30 to see a good example intro of the game's sound, the Tron Controller, bikes revving up, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQIwEhmz1sw&list=TL4PBT5pvnArA

Thank you so much Willie! :-D :-D :-D

• Like 11

How much do you guys think it would cost to make a Tron controller for the ColecoVision? Joystick with trigger and a spinner. No keypad support for the game - just use menu options like what Spiceware does for his 2600 games.

Well I actually have the M Network Atari 2600 Tron arcade controller and if I recall from memory I actually connected it to my Coleco and got it to work with some games but that was like 30 years ago. I'll bust it out this weekend and give it a try again and let you know if it does.