IGNORED

Tron Light Cycles for Colecovision - Work in progress

parkfun101

While I've been working on Light Cycle Racing, I've figured out a bunch of code storage tricks to save file space. Soon I will be posting some code saving tips for those who are interested. On this game, I've saved over 3-4Kbs using these techniques and for a game that only goes up to 32Kbs, that's not bad.

Now for the updates:

1) CPU's basic Defensive moves now work and I'm surprised to say I figured it out in 1 day!!! This alone has already made the game more fun and challenging since the cpu now tries to avoid hitting obstacles. Later, I will be adding in the Offensive moves so the CPU will basically go after you. I'm planning on having the offensive moves be randomized.
I've got some new screen shots of some of the experimental weapons/obstacles.

2) For the ENHANCED modes - I created the Line Destroyer, Teleport (from the old arcade's Tank Game), and the Flashing Laser obstacles!!! Here are some screen shots below:

Line Destroyer:

LineDestroyer

Flashing Laser:

FlashingLaser

Teleport: (I even replicated the sound from the arcade) - Before you are teleported, my code checks 3 spaces ahead of your bike so you won't be teleported too close to an obstacle, but I would recommend NOT using turbo speed as you enter the teleport.

Teleport

The game is currently at 21,209 bytes which leaves me plenty of space for adding the CPU's offensive moves and a bunch more levels. At this point, I'm estimating the game could have at least 20 levels, but I'm not going to speculate how many at this point in case the CPU coding gets crazy. The game currently has 3 coded levels (the ones from the screen shots above). I also may go back and add 1 or 2 more weapons/obstacles. I like the idea of the invincible bike that can temporarily break through lines (but not walls).

I may have to omit the idea of the special level when the enemy bike hits a wall. I'm thinking it would benefit the game more to add more levels/weapons/obstacles since only advanced players would be able to get to the special level. The weapons/obstacles I have currently used were selected specifically because it helps with the randomness and replayability of the game. Trying to hit the Line Destroyer at the right time, using the Teleport and wondering where you'll end up, or speeding through the Flashing Laser so it won't destroy your bike adds some spice to the gameplay!!! :) Playing the ARCADE mode after playing the new ENHANCED modes will probably seem dull in comparison.

• Like 11

Really appreciate all the updates you post as it's very interesting to watch a game's progession during development. Keep up the great work, can't wait for further updates and the official release.

BTW, one small change that I would like to see concerns the grey outer walls. If you could add a diagonal black line to the corners like I quickly made in the picture below, I think it will add a lot to the look being that it's from above and each wall will have a visual separation.

post-25956-0-25396600-1422119867_thumb.png

Really appreciate all the updates you post as it's very interesting to watch a game's progession during development. Keep up the great work, can't wait for further updates and the official release.

BTW, one small change that I would like to see concerns the grey outer walls. If you could add a diagonal black line to the corners like I quickly made in the picture below, I think it will add a lot to the look being that it's from above and each wall will have a visual separation.

For the ARCADE mode, I'm planning to keep the graphics the way they are now since that is the way the actual arcade looked. However, for the ENHANCED modes, I may try some changes to the wall color and texture to see how it goes. I may add some screenshots later with different wall designs to see what people like the most. I can include your idea to see what people like the most. :)

Create your own level for the Light Cycle Racing Colecovision Cartridge!

Simply download the file below, follow the instructions in the Instructions.txt file and submit your *.dat file to me to review. I will post the levels on AtariAge and allow users to vote on which ones should go into the game.

LightCycle Level Design.zip

forLevelDesign

NIAD, thank you for your post, you gave me an idea! Why not let anyone be allowed to design a level for the game? I can let users on AtariAge vote on them and whichever levels get the most votes, they will go into the game!!! At this point, I think I could allow up to 10 user designed levels in the game and still have room for my own levels. For those whose levels get into the game, you will also get your name in the credits either on the box, manual or both (perhaps in the game itself if I have room).

I'm looking forward to seeing your designs and creativity. Hopefully your level will make the final cut and considering this is Colecovision and not Playstation 15, you have a very good chance of getting your design published!!! :) :) :)

• Like 6

If you do need to drop the special level for going thru the hole, maybe at least keep the hole and make it worth bonus points, with maybe a countdown timer to get to it if you are the last bike standing.

Slightly off topic but another thread lead me to this version of light cycles that takes a different approach

http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/Zona_0

As a long time player/collector of tron, I can't wait to get home from work in a couple of days and work on some levels (as time permits)

I suscribe to this topic and while getting updates on my smartphone, I decided to express my enthusiasm on this project to some of my co-workers. I received a couple blank stares and one mono-tone voice, "Oh yeh…" (I guess every party has to have a pooper :P )

I'm not blowing smoke up your wahzoo when I say 'thanks for your efforts' For example, what comes to mind, is every terribly created version of snake,tron,light bike,etc on the app store,etc, that was quickly done up in record time with the sole intent of having pop-up ads. The extra work and you allowing us to contribute is making this more fun and exciting in the anticipation of it's release. (That or maybe 'Tron Complete' release being quashed… Nah… That's not it… :D )

Definitely keep me in the early queue for 2 copies of the uber ultra deluxe version (If one so comes to fruition)

If you do need to drop the special level for going thru the hole, maybe at least keep the hole and make it worth bonus points, with maybe a countdown timer to get to it if you are the last bike standing.

Slightly off topic but another thread lead me to this version of light cycles that takes a different approach

http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/Zona_0

I don't see that happening well with Atari's graphics… I didn't want to interrupt parkfun while he was on a roll, but perhaps have a split screen, wall divider in centre with a maze for each bike to complete (for one of the levels) fire button = brake and fastest one wins.

In 'snake' you have to collect a 'dot' and your tail becomes increasingly larger each time.

Shorter tail lengths. (Your light trail is only so long and moves with your bike) this forces you to attack your opponent and not camp away in a corner or hog space.

One level could have scrolling objects come down at you (split screen) and become increasing more and faster as time goes on

And a quick last random idea, not sure how it could be implemented yet, as I'm just throwing ideas around… but a broken out section of floor that you can fall through accidentally or purposely… and thats where that idea ends…

Pick whats easiest… time for bed… going off on a tangent

Thanks Tarzilla, Tron Unit, and Bodyshots for all your ideas and comments. Let me reply to all of you here rather than each person separately.

Tarzilla - I've played many different versions of games that take a grid like Tron and turn it into a 3D like game. There are many Pac-Man clones that do this for example. While those types of games visually look appealing, I've never really enjoyed those versions as much as the original 2D ones.

The idea of getting to the hole (after a CPU bike crashes into the wall) to get a BONUS still sounds doable :) :) and wouldn't be all that hard to implement (for ENHANCED mode only). I think if this occurs, perhaps you would have to still have at least 1 other CPU character on the screen in order to escape and get the bonus, thus ending the round and advancing you to the next one. I think this would be fun since it isn't the easiest thing to do, but would be really fun to get....kind of like getting E X T R A in Mr.Do! Due to size limitations though, I will just have to omit the Tank bonus level of the game. If you do escape, I could have a Text screen that says something like "USER ESCAPED" or uses a line from the movie. Anybody have an idea of what you think the message should say if you escape through the hole? Please let me know. I want to make sure I use something that sounds good to any TRUE Tron fan, that is why I added the END OF LINE statement instead of GAME OVER when you play the ENHANCED mode.

Tron Unit - With the Light Cycle game, I wanted to emulate the graphics, sound effects, and gameplay as close as I could to the actual arcade in the ARCADE modes while still being able to be creative and have the ENHANCED modes that we wished were in the arcade like 1P vs 2P and COOP vs CPU along with added obstacles, levels, weapons, teleports, etc. that add to the replayability of an awesome concept that I feel deserved dusting off and enhancing. Unfortunately, due to the 32Kb constraints, the absolute best I could see is a Light Cycle and Tanks game and then perhaps another entire game that has the other 2 modes. If someone could show me how the Mario Bros. game somehow has 64Kb and works on a CV, then a full remake would be possible. Regardless if I ever work on a full remake or not, I am already planning on allowing any developer for Collectorvision to use my code from this game to make a full remake. Perhaps a full version is possible since the A.I. in the Light Cycle game is the only tough A.I. to code. The Bugs and Cone stages really don't have much in terms of A.I. so they wouldn't be all that hard to code, but the graphics would have to be limited.

Bodyshots - What I really love hearing from people with projects like this is the brainstorming and excitement that one idea can create. I had thought about the broken section of floor concept when I worked on Tank Challenge and if you fall through it you would have the bomb drop type sound effect and then a crash when you hit the bottom. I never put it in Tank Challenge for limitation reasons, but I like the idea. If you haven't tried already, you should probably think about making some video games of your own, even if it is just for yourself. It is very fun and each portion of game making is pure art.......sound effects, music, graphics, and gameplay.

I can assure you that I will NEVER have :razz: Pop-ups :razz: in any of my games. I've been playing video games since I was 5 when I played Pac-Man at a McDonald's in the early 80's. I can still remember how I died quickly because I went after the ghosts before getting a power pellet. Since then I was hooked. I pride myself on making professional games that have well thought out concepts. I don't just make games so I can say I made a game, my goal is to make great games that everyone remembers because they are actually FUN (Robotron type fun, NOT World of WarCrap-waste-your-actual-money-on-digital-items-just-to-have-it-stolen fun), Gameplay is my #1 concern. All the 4D smello-vision graphics in the world can't beat great gameplay. Before I worked with Collectorvision, I went through a collection of Atari 2600 games and played my favorite ones and wrote down the exact reasons why I liked them. I then pooled some of the cool concepts and aspects of these games with my ideas and put those ideas into Sinkhole Crisis and Tank Challenge. I figure I could either make 100 crappy games that nobody likes or a few that people will enjoy looooong after I'm gone. :) I look up to the developers who created games like Donkey Kong, Mr.Do!, Lemmings, Tetris, etc., etc. and have no respect for those whose primary focus is money. Ok, now I'm going to bed :) :D

• Like 2

I dig the arena escape hole. Any plans to have any Recognizers?

I may actually have room to add them. If I do, it would be in the bonus screen after you escape. I'll have to wait until after I get the remaining A.I. and levels done. If I'm low on file space near the end of the game, I'll try to add the Recognizers on the BONUS text screen chasing the bikes.

just an idea

how about ramdon pickup that appears for seconds that give you a single laser/gun shot that resets the trail made by either player and/or shooting the other player for the instant win.

I was thinking about a weapon that I was calling the Side Blaster that would shoot a single shot of a laser to both sides of your bike. I just haven't tested it out to see if it will work well with the game yet.

Tarzilla, I just added the Hole in Wall Bonus!!! (for ENHANCED mode only)

After a CPU player hits the wall, a hole is left behind.
If a player enters the hole, they get a reward and continue on to the next level.

This is a quote from the original movie.

That's cool, the quote seals it.

If you are low on space (isn't there a known bank switching method to break 32k?) This bonus idea like this might be easy to squeeze in. I've been working on this for the Intellivision.

[Click to enlarge]

post-38229-0-89806000-1422233896_thumb.png

An endless random scrolling game (you wouldnt want your bonus level to be endless of course)

Maybe give 100 bonus for every second you stay alive, making it very hard to go on for more than 15 or 20 seconds...

For enhanced mode, I would try to enhance the outside wall look like this (green graphics taken from the Tanks level of the arcade) I know the arcade only had the grey wall at the top, I wondered why they didn't use the tank make walls...

post-38229-0-64522000-1422236101_thumb.png

[Click to enlarge]

Or, better yet, add a facsimile of the repeating wall pattern from the movie to the top row; I would echo adding the diagonal wall effect mentioned above, with possibly the option of a different method for the bottom corners to give a slightly 3d effect looking down on the grid from a spectator's view from the south seats.

Thanks Tarzilla, Tron Unit, and Bodyshots for all your ideas and comments. Let me reply to all of you here rather than each person separately.

Tarzilla - I've played many different versions of games that take a grid like Tron and turn it into a 3D like game. There are many Pac-Man clones that do this for example. While those types of games visually look appealing, I've never really enjoyed those versions as much as the original 2D ones.

The idea of getting to the hole (after a CPU bike crashes into the wall) to get a BONUS still sounds doable :) :) and wouldn't be all that hard to implement (for ENHANCED mode only). I think if this occurs, perhaps you would have to still have at least 1 other CPU character on the screen in order to escape and get the bonus, thus ending the round and advancing you to the next one. I think this would be fun since it isn't the easiest thing to do, but would be really fun to get....kind of like getting E X T R A in Mr.Do! Due to size limitations though, I will just have to omit the Tank bonus level of the game. If you do escape, I could have a Text screen that says something like "USER ESCAPED" or uses a line from the movie. Anybody have an idea of what you think the message should say if you escape through the hole? Please let me know. I want to make sure I use something that sounds good to any TRUE Tron fan, that is why I added the END OF LINE statement instead of GAME OVER when you play the ENHANCED mode.

I guess i should have been more clear, I wasn't suggesting doing any of that, I was just more amazed that after all these years of playing every kind of Tron based game, I just found out about that isometric 3d one...

You guys have me thinking, what if, on the 1P VS 2P ENHANCED mode, you can select certain levels where you must avoid the Recognizers? Once one of the two players is destroyed, the other player wins. I'm not saying I will definitely do this at this point, but it is a possibility and it would break up the gameplay a bit....plus it might make Tron Unit happy. :)

• Like 2

I've been working on this for the Intellivision.

[Click to enlarge]

runner.png

An endless random scrolling game (you wouldnt want your bonus level to be endless of course)

Maybe give 100 bonus for every second you stay alive, making it very hard to go on for more than 15 or 20 seconds...

Wait. What? :)

I've added the Recognizers due to popular demand. Currently, they are only on the 1P VS 2P level as a selectable area. You have to stay alive longer than your opponent who is also being chased down. They are already coded to seek you out and go after you. Does anyone else but me feel like the way the Arcade displays them is odd when they turn to the side or go upwards? I actually like the regular graphic you see here in my screenshot and I may just keep it that way.

Recognizer level (1P VS 2P mode):

Recognizer level

I may add one of these levels to the regular game when a player exits through a hole in the wall. Tarzilla had an idea that I may use in the game. If you escape the Game Grid, you may then jump to the Recognizers level. For each second or so, you stay alive, you will get a bonus of 100 pts. perhaps for a max of 30 seconds in case somebody figures out a trick to hiding from the Recognizers. This concept sounds pretty fun and is a nice break from the regular game.
I'll worry about the wall graphics at a later time.

Thanks for the idea Tarzilla!

Just a note, I've conservatively estimated that I could have up to at least 60-80 levels in the game. I may sacrifice some of those levels for added Bonuses and/or obstacles, etc.

Edited by parkfun101

Update: I've added the Recognizer levels for the 1P VS CPU and COOP VS CPU if you escape the Game Grid and 1P VS 2P that is selectable!!! I've decided to make 1 Recognizer level every 4 or 5 levels or so. That way if you escape on level 10, you'll get a different Recognizer level than if you escape on level 5. The Recognizer level gets increasingly hard. It starts out with them moving slow and then every 4 seconds, they increase in speed a little till they are faster than you on turbo speed. It makes it very challenging and fun. I may make it so if you can last 30 seconds, you get an additional 1000 points and win the level. So far the most I can last is 18 seconds before they catch me.

Thanks Tarzilla for the idea. It is really fun!!!

• Like 2

Hoo boy I have been following this thread..this game is coming along and sounding amazing. It's also a great example of community developer relation game building.

I am so excited to hear what you are going to do next to this game and even more excited to purchase it when it is ready.

Keep up the amazing work.

I definitely like having the community getting involved. It is making the game better and more fun than I had envisioned. :-D

Remember, anyone that wants to create a level or two or more, please feel free to send me them through email or through here. I should have PLENTY of space to put in the levels that we vote on here and so far I have not yet received any community level designs. :?: :sad: At this point, I can allow about 20+ community designed levels which is twice what I had originally thought I could have. The editor and instructions are near the top of the 3rd page of this thread. If you're not comfortable using the editor, just jot down something in paint or whatever drawing program you prefer, I can translate it in the editor. I think I'll allow the entries up until about the middle-end of Feb. When I post the entries on here to vote for, I'll can keep everyone's name anonymous. However, when the game is made, your name or handle will be in the credits, instruction book, and/or on the game box.

The way things are going with the game, I feel that I'll have it wrapped up by the end of March, probably earlier.

• Like 1