IGNORED

Trouble with viewing STe on TV

jwalshy

Hey guys,

I know that this poor horse has been beaten to death on the forums but i need some advice.

I have an Atari 1040STe with 4mb memory upgrade. I have a spare LG 27" TV thats sits nicely next to my iMac.

My plan is to use the TV for both low/medium and high res via din->scart and din->VGA for the Atari, as well as a secondary monitor for my iMac via HDMI.

The problem is the quality of the picture of the Atari.

When i view it via the Din->Scart cable in low or medium resolution the screen seems to jump every few seconds, apart from this the picture is good, however, this screen jumping makes playing games impossible :(

When i view the atari in hi res via din->VGA, i get very slight constant flickering. When i plug the Atari into my cheap VGA monitor i don't get anywhere near as much flickering.

Not sure if this may be a cause of the problem but, I should mention both the din->vga and din->scart cables have stereo audio breakouts as the rca audio out ports on the machine seem to be playing up (seems the output is way too hot and the volume doesn't match L + R, but i'm going to look into this once I've sorted the screen thing.)

So to summarise; plug in via scart i get occasional screen jumping, and plug in via vga i get slight flickering. What do you guys reckon?

Thanks so much!

composite out on all ST's sucks. If you look about 10 posts down from this you still see someone making a componant video out box. that is your best bet

Hey locnar, thanks for the reply. I thought that scart carried a component (RGB) signal already?

edit: just checked and the 13 pin din -> scart cable i bought was labelled as RGB

Edited by jwalshy

I had a big trouble with LG monitor/TV 27MA73D. I think it behaved very similar to your TV.

There was a problem with the switching signal connected to pin 16 on the SCART. Usually the pin 16 is connected to Vertical Sync from the ST.

I made this little modification in the cable, all components fit inside the SCART connector And now it works really well. I had do the the same cable fo Jaguar. The cable works on my LG and Grundig TV

post-2769-0-19184700-1415738670_thumb.png

I had a big trouble with LG monitor/TV 27MA73D. I think it behaved very similar to your TV.

There was a problem with the switching signal connected to pin 16 on the SCART. Usually the pin 16 is connected to Vertical Sync from the ST.

I made this little modification in the cable, all components fit inside the SCART connector And now it works really well. I had do the the same cable fo Jaguar. The cable works on my LG and Grundig TV

Hey krupkaj, What diode is used here? Or doesn't it matter much?

Also, on the capacitor does 10m mean 10uF (10 microfarad)?

Cheers!

Some chips on modern TVs expect an exact framerate from analog inputs, which most of our old computers don't match (e.g. 262 when 262.5 expected).

The result can be that you get glitches in time with the actual and expected framerate being in sync with each other.

So... NTSC every ~ 4.33 seconds, PAL every ~ 6.26 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

the diode prevents the voltage to go back to atari.

and yes the capacitor is 10 microfarad

Krupkaj, sorry for the delay in replying, i wanted to try all other options before taking the cable apart. But i took it apart put in the components as you said, and it worked!

Im so pleased, thanks a lot!

It still isnt quiiite perfect; when the curser hovers over a new menu item ie placing the arrow over "view" then moving over "options", the text items that are highlighted 'buzz'; they kind of go fuzzy just for second, then go back to being crystal clear.

When playing games with lots of movement or during playback on cubase and trackers all is fine and there is no buzzing of lines.

Would this possibly be down to the components ive used? or is there anyway to rectify this?

thanks a lot for your solution!

it is great it works for you too.

I think the "buzz" is caused by the processing of analog signal in the TV. Maybe you culd try to switch off some enhancement. I think there is lot of them :)

I got rid of all enhancements on the TV and it still seems to be doing it.

When wiring in the capacitor pin 13 from din went to 21 ground on scart rather than 18 seen on the schematic, so I wired it this way and kept 13 going to 21. Would this make a difference?