IGNORED

Side-by-Side video featuring Jeff Minter's visualizers

Austin

I recently received a NUON as well as a Jaguar CD again. Now that I have the proper "tools" at my disposal, I thought it would be neat to stack three of Jeff Minter's visualizers next to one another, side by side, in particular the ones I and I'm sure plenty of us here are familiar with.

It's really interesting to see the progression from the Jaguar CD's VLM, to the NUON's VLM 2, to the XBOX 360's Neon, all over a ten year timespan. Really cool stuff, and honestly, I think each holds its own pretty well and you can see similarities from the earliest live on in future iterations.

Video link (click here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcQQ9NryVH8

• Like 10

Haven't had the Chance to watch the Video yet but I like the idea and thought about something similar before but I was lacking one monitor or TV.The thing is I would really like to use the VLM for a party one day (need a Beamer:) but out of the three I like 1+2 the best but only in neon can you make a big playlist and also change it in the fly, so it is not optimal.Anyway I really do like these light synth. Saw something in a bar a few weeks ago that really reminded me of the rectangualar rainbow colored effects of the VLM1. Brought up some memories.

Cool video. The thing about the Jag CD version is that it's so distinct. I kind feel that all the blending effects in the XBox visualizer make it look like so many other visualizers. Some of the 'tunneling' and mirroring effects on the XBox version do feel pretty Minter-ish.

I have not seen the NUON one but I think Minter screwed up on the 360 one. He seems to have it throwing so much crap on the screen at you constantly regardless of what is going on that there is no room for it to grow or express itself when the music is playing. It's like he was trying to use all the Xboxs power as much as he could all the time rather than doing it only when it's appropriate.

• Like 1

There were some cool effects on the Jaguar one that i have NEVER seen on my Jag CD (Pillars, Waterfall) Is there a way to alter the VLM while you play a CD or does it just kind of do what it wants to do?

I give second place to the XB360 and 3rd to the Nuon, which seemed a little bland and reminds me of the Winamp visualizer from that era..

Apparently Atari invented music visualization though....which is pretty cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_visualization

Edited by travistouchdown

Well interestingly enough this thread sparked conversations at this years EJagfest.

There was one known method to get external input into the Jag CDs VLM but it needed modding and extra hardware and a CD in the Jag CDrom:

http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/vidsynth/jag_vlm/jag_vlm.htm

Now what many may not know (and I didn't either until a kind soul told me about it at Jagfest) is that Glenn Bruner wrote a paper about Music Driven Graphical Visualization System

which turns out to be a cartridge for the Jaguar with the VLM1 on it that allows external input!!!!!

http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1168&context=eesp

Now this is exactly what I pictured. Imagine how cool it would be. You could just use your computers or even phone playlist and have the beautiful VLM1 without the need of a CDrom or even a CD not to speak of the modding mentioned for the CD Rom above.

Just a cartridge.

And if the issue could be fixed with not being able to save the selfmade effects, it would be even better than the original and we could all alter the 81 effects. (I used to record my effects on VCR but that is about 19 years ago or something and I don't have a vcr anymore ;-))

The paper is from 2012.

Now Glenn, how are our chances for you to produce this beautiful device for us? ;-)

• Like 3

Well interestingly enough this thread sparked conversations at this years EJagfest.

There was one known method to get external input into the Jag CDs VLM but it needed modding and extra hardware and a CD in the Jag CDrom:

Now what many may not know (and I didn't either until a kind soul told me about it at Jagfest) is that Glenn Bruner wrote a paper about Music Driven Graphical Visualization System

which turns out to be a cartridge for the Jaguar with the VLM1 on it that allows external input!!!!!

Now this is exactly what I pictured. Imagine how cool it would be. You could just use your computers or even phone playlist and have the beautiful VLM1 without the need of a CDrom or even a CD not to speak of the modding mentioned for the CD Rom above.

Just a cartridge.

And if the issue could be fixed with not being able to save the selfmade effects, it would be even better than the original and we could all alter the 81 effects. (I used to record my effects on VCR but that is about 19 years ago or something and I don't have a vcr anymore ;-))

The paper is from 2012.

Now Glenn, how are our chances for you to produce this beautiful device for us? ;-)

I would buy this in a heartbeat. Looks awesome..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah - I run Colourspace on my Atari 8-bit all the time. Colourspace on the ST is nice, but Trip-A-Tron really shines.

When I got my 360, I wanted to attend a show somewhere, and line up a console running every generation of his light synths. A8, ST, Jag+CD, Nuon, 360 would have looked great all running side by side.

There were some cool effects on the Jaguar one that i have NEVER seen on my Jag CD (Pillars, Waterfall) Is there a way to alter the VLM while you play a CD or does it just kind of do what it wants to do?

I give second place to the XB360 and 3rd to the Nuon, which seemed a little bland and reminds me of the Winamp visualizer from that era..

Apparently Atari invented music visualization though....which is pretty cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_visualization

I have a mint boxed Atari Video Music :) It's probably my favourite single piece in my collection.

I have the very same feelings as Shmudde: VLM has those crisp coloured pixels that set it above everything else. Nuon is a good derivative, I remember seeing lots of effects as Jag upgrades, but the Xbox blurred stuff is -hmmm- meh!

About Colourspace... oh boy! I bought it (a tape cassette, oh the days...) when I went in England on holydays (maybe at Dixons) and it blew me away! Too bad that I gave my A8+graphics tablet+tape recorder+CD unit away... :-(

Edited by Paolo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently received a NUON as well as a Jaguar CD again. Now that I have the proper "tools" at my disposal, I thought it would be neat to stack three of Jeff Minter's visualizers next to one another, side by side, in particular the ones I and I'm sure plenty of us here are familiar with.

That's great to see them all lined up for comparison in the one video :) Just a Q though: Why is the Jag VLM 1 in centrespot and not lined up as VLM 1, 2, 3? Is that based on your favourite order, Medal standard or simply by random? Just curious :)

Thank for the info and links Peter!! :)

I have a mint boxed Atari Video Music :) It's probably my favourite single piece in my collection.

Congrats! Last year (or so) i bought a super cheap loose Atari Video Music, and later scored that AWESOME big full colour manual! Now the hunt is on for that brown and white box...

When I got my 360, I wanted to attend a show somewhere, and line up a console running every generation of his light synths. A8, ST, Jag+CD, Nuon, 360 would have looked great all running side by side.

Similarly, we set up a few Minter related areas at some of our previous events. In relation to this post, here is the VLM set-up demonstrating Jag VLM 1, NUON N501 VLM 2, and the 360's VLM 3 at AFTERSHOCK 2011 (Melbourne, Australia)

post-4088-0-08731500-1422622036_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's great to see them all lined up for comparison in the one video :) Just a Q though: Why is the Jag VLM 1 in centrespot and not lined up as VLM 1, 2, 3? Is that based on your favourite order, Medal standard or simply by random? Just curious :)

I actually thought the Jaguar's VLM would be overlooked if I slapped it on the far left or far right. It looks pretty archaic even when sat next to the NUON's VLM and I figured if that was next to the 360 visualizer, viewers' eyes would naturally veer towards those two. I was probably over thinking it, but yeah, that was my reasoning. :)

• Like 2

I actually thought the Jaguar's VLM would be overlooked if I slapped it on the far left or far right. It looks pretty archaic even when sat next to the NUON's VLM and I figured if that was next to the 360 visualizer, viewers' eyes would naturally veer towards those two. I was probably over thinking it, but yeah, that was my reasoning. :)

Nothing wrong with that reasoning! Plus, it's in the Gold medal standing centre spot as it should be ;)

• Like 2