IGNORED

Centipede 2600 vs 7800

Gabriel

Which one do you think plays better, the 2600 or 7800 version of Centipede.

The 7800 version has some pretty big perks. It's much prettier. It supports two player simultaneous play.

But even though the 2600 version looks bad, it plays wonderfully.

I don't know. I've been playing both lately and it's just too close to call. I think the 2600 version has a very slight edge in gameplay, but I'm not entirely sure.

So, which one?

I'd always choose 2600 Millipede over 2600 Centipede. So many enemies! 2600 Millipede improves on 2600 Centipede.

Conversely, I'd always choose arcade Centipede over arcade Millipede.

Arcade Centipede is fun and playable. Arcade Millipede is just unfairly too hard.

I've never played 7800 Centipede.

7800 Centipede hands down. Like others have said, 2 player simultaneous play and better graphics. Now if you compare 2600 Millipede to 7800 Centipede... that's a tough one for me... someone needs to make a 7800 Millipede homebrew with 2 player co-op!

Edited by Ramses

Which one do you think plays better, the 2600 or 7800 version of Centipede.

The 7800 version has some pretty big perks. It's much prettier. It supports two player simultaneous play.

But even though the 2600 version looks bad, it plays wonderfully.

I don't know. I've been playing both lately and it's just too close to call. I think the 2600 version has a very slight edge in gameplay, but I'm not entirely sure.

So, which one?

The 2600 version plays better in 1 player mode but the 7800 has the 2 player mode. However, I think Millipede blows both of them out of the water. The 2600 version of millipede is everything an Atari 2600 game should be, it's fast, it's fun, it plays well, control is near perfect and it takes Centipede to a new level. I also like being able to start at a later level to get through levels I've long since mastered.

The 8-bit versions of Millipede (5200 and 8 bit computers) is kind of slow, but still fun, but don't measure up to the 2600 version.

I honestly though 2600 Centipede/Millipede played better than the neutered NES Millipede. 7800 Centipede gets my vote though. I was playing on a CRT in a darkened room with my newly built arcade stick and I swore I was playing a dang arcade game.

Have you played Centipede in an arcade? It uses a trackball, not a joystick.

No, I've never played the trackball arcade version although I'm aware of trackball use, but 7800 Centipede is still a kick ass game on a proper 8-way joystick.

No doubt. It's still my favorite game on the system. Still, there's just a certain je ne sais quoi when playing with the trackball on an actual arcade cab, not to mention watching some of these pros around here walk into the bar and score hundreds of thousands of points on a quarter. It's incredible the way they work the ball.