IGNORED

Funstock asking for retro device of our dream... vote for a new Lynx!

108 Stars

Funstock.co.uk is asking retro fans for what Kind of retro item or device they would really love to see.

Is there any retro item, product or device you would absolutely LOVE to have? - let us know in the comments and we will see if we can get it made. You will get one FREE if we do!

It's a slim chance, but I think it would be good if Lynx fans would post that they'd like a new Lynx unit with decent LCD. We have portable Mega Drives/Genesis, Master Systems, Game Gears, we have home console versions of the Genesis, Atari 2600, 7800, Colecovision, Intellivision and what not... it's time for a remodeled Lynx!

So if you are on Facebook, please post you would like one. However small the chance is, at least they are actively asking for suggestions. :)

https://www.facebook.com/funstockgames/posts/595738697220544?fref=nf

• Like 1

Easier, but less satisfying for me. I want a real handheld, preferably one where I can plug in my cartridges.

I've used the PSP for Lynx emulation, but even there some games won't run while others have slowdown. And playing on a stationary device... the Lynx is meant as a handheld, and that's how it works best imo.

A new Lynx could benefit from better screen, true portability due to smaller size and low energy consumption, and having acardslot and all the neccessary buttons arranged as intended, which no stand-in can offer. It could even rejuvenate the Lynx scene a little, as the old screen is a reason for people to shy away from even trying the system out.

• Like 2

I just don't want another failure like the Neo Geo X... It's easier to just emulate.

The Neo Geo X IS emulation.

But does it really matter how they do it?

Something like this would be cool:

A nice feature is that it boots almost instantly.

Edited by roland p

The Neo Geo X IS emulation.

But does it really matter how they do it?

Something like this would be cool:

A nice feature is that it boots almost instantly.

Yes, of course the Neo Geo used emulation, but it was locked down and you had to hack it in order to fix a few things. The screen size was wrong, video output crap etc etc. There were way better emulators than what they implemented.

Those Sega firecore handhelds are aweful - again using emulation, albeit via FPGA. Often these cheap devices can't be updated etc. Better off with a Dingoo or something I think.

• Like 1

My jailbroken PSP has been my Lynx for several years. No need for yet another locked down single purpose gadget.

PSP emulation of the Lynx is too flawed. Too inaccurate, too slow. As stated before, I used it before I had my flashcard, but you are just better off with an original Lynx than the subpar emulation currently available on PSP.

Be it the atgames devices or the Neo Geo X, despite the flaws, modern clone consoles are the greatest thing that can happen to retro consoles to widen their appeal. A new screen is needed to attract new audiences, and multi purpose devices can't cut it.

• Like 1

The GP2X Lynx emulation is great! That's what I use! I guess if they used Mednafen source for the emulation, they could just produce a firecore type device and it would be pretty good. The problem we have with the Lynx is it doesn't appeal to the masses like the NES, SNES and Megadrive etc. =(. Ultimately they will create something more popular to ensure sales.

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 1

The GP2X Lynx emulation is great! That's what I use! I guess if they used Mednafen source for the emulation, they could just produce a firecore type device and it would be pretty good. The problem we have with the Lynx is it doesn't appeal to the masses like the NES, SNES and Megadrive etc. =(. Ultimately they will create something more popular to ensure sales.

Yeah, I said myself: Chances are slim. Yet showing that there are Lynx fans is better than giving up from the start imo. The licenses for Sega machines are gone, Atari 2600, 7800, Intellivision, Colecovision and C64 too... It's not like companies can still pick the cherries now.^^ And hey, if there was a licensing deal for Inty and Coleco, there's a chance for the Lynx too. Neither of those two I would say are a lot more popular than the Lynx. Maybe more in brand recognition (though the Atari name would help the Lynx too in that regard), but I am pretty sure the games on our little cat are more appealing to a broader audience than those early 8-bit games.

For me, this is an extension of all the work put into things like homebrews, TV-out and LCD replacement. There are a lot of people out there who like retro games, but will not play on old handhelds due to the screens. The Lynx scene is limited by that, as well as by being pretty much on AA only. What I learned from Pier Solar sales, and I think this goes for every retro system: You can get many more people interested if you can get the word out and offer an attractive product for people outside the very core fan community. You will could sell 3 times as many of any homebrew published on AA if you got wider recognition, I am sure.

For the Lynx this means: Give them a device that eliminates the old flaws, and let the games speak. Some devices like The GP2X may offer great emulation, but people still aren't really exposed to it. They get the device and play SNES and MD, the stuff they know and love... they don't get the idea to play Lynx. It's fine for us who know we like the Lynx, but for outsiders? Offer them the same system, but closed, and stamp an Atari logo on it, and they will take notice that there is a new model of that obscure handheld they never played. Much like the NeoGeo X actually, which was basically a Dingoo in disguise, but got attention because it was a NeoGeo. It doesn't do emulation better than a PSP or any Dingoo or Gamepark, but being dedicated it attracts people to play.

In my mind this could lead to growth. More demand for homebrews, more reognition for the Lynx. Getting people to just know is worth a fortune, and it made a huge difference between sales of smaller scale releases like SFT's and our own Pier Solar.

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 1

In the end, it is up to the community to decide whether a Lynx with modern screen is worth fighting for. If it's not, that can't be helped and everything remains as it is. I can live with the screen, just a bit disappointed there is so little interest in making our little kitten a bit more popular.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funstock.co.uk is asking retro fans for what Kind of retro item or device they would really love to see.

It's a slim chance, but I think it would be good if Lynx fans would post that they'd like a new Lynx unit with decent LCD. We have portable Mega Drives/Genesis, Master Systems, Game Gears, we have home console versions of the Genesis, Atari 2600, 7800, Colecovision, Intellivision and what not... it's time for a remodeled Lynx!

So if you are on Facebook, please post you would like one. However small the chance is, at least they are actively asking for suggestions. :)

https://www.facebook.com/funstockgames/posts/595738697220544?fref=nf

What they could do which would be cool, is make a console based LYNX that you can plug into your TV and use your existing cartridges on.

• Like 1