IGNORED

If you were Nintendo, what would you do?

TPA5

This may have been asked in this thread already, but if I were Nintendo, where is the price cut?

I am considering a next gen system now... probably a PS4, but seems like a Wii U would be a nice complement for the kids. They would like one....

I have an an issue with the price.....

PS4: $399

XBox One: $349

Wii U:$299

The kids still play the Wii, and the $299 price tag turns me off when compared to the other systems. Drop that puppy by at least $50, and maybe....

PS4: $399

XBox One: $349

Wii U:$299

Drop that puppy by at least $50, and maybe....

They already dropped it $50. Xbox slashed $100, ditched Kinect 2, then dropped another $50. PS4 hasn't budged though.

There's currently more to enjoy on Wii-U than on PS4/Xbone. Do yourself a favor and get one.

The kids still play the Wii, and the $299 price tag turns me off when compared to the other systems. Drop that puppy by at least $50, and maybe....

I do think Nintendo should drop the price of the Wii U. It's a decent value as-is, but the fact is the system is looking more and more dated by the day compared to the competition.

They already dropped it $50. Xbox slashed $100, ditched Kinect 2, then dropped another $50. PS4 hasn't budged though.

There's currently more to enjoy on Wii-U than on PS4/Xbone. Do yourself a favor and get one.

There is a very good reason the PS4 is still full price. It's cause it's worth it. The Wii U is not, nor is the Xbone.

There is a very good reason the PS4 is still full price. It's cause it's worth it. The Wii U is not, nor is the Xbone.

Worth it or not is certainly debatable. I think the PS4 is worth $400 to some, just not to me. My PS3 Slim was certainly worth the $300 I paid for it in 2010. The Wii-U was well worth the $350 I paid for it at launch. Xbox (any model), I wouldn't pay more than I would for a brick at the hardware store. Maybe someday I build a castle out of them if the price is right; that would be badass! :lol:

Considering that most of the great releases of this generation have been on the Wii U so far and that the PS4 and XB1 where videogaming is concerned are still often being sold based more off their future promise than what they've able to do today that the Wii U, Xbox 360, and Playstation 3 can't offer, I'd say that statement is very much up for debate.

I've been very happy so far with my purchase and entered into it when it was a year old fully aware of its commercial position, lack of 3rd party support, and likely a relatively early phaseout by Nintendo themselves. Yet other than a nagging technical issue that I don't ever see anyone else complaining about (i.e., it's not like the RROD or YLOD complaints for last gen MS and Sony systems that everyone essentially could expect to suffer from eventually with the first few generations of that hardware) and a few minor criticisms like the lack of gamepad support for Classic Controller enabled Wii releases, I'm fully satisfied.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I kind of agree with a WiiU price cut at this point. It could happen by simply dropping the pack-in, which is probably what is keeping the SKU price at $299 all the time. Yeah, it's nice to get a game, but the other systems are selling better without pack-ins. Although, any strategy by Nintendo is probably futile with their game release schedule. I've only bought 5 games in the time I've owned the WiiU (about 1 1/2 years).

...the $299 price tag turns me off when compared to the other systems. Drop that puppy by at least $50, and maybe....

The WiiU being $100 cheaper than the competition is too steep? o_O

Yet other than a nagging technical issue that I don't ever see anyone else complaining about...

Which issue would that be? Sorry if you mentioned it already and I've forgotten.

I kind of agree with a WiiU price cut at this point. It could happen by simply dropping the pack-in, which is probably what is keeping the SKU price at $299 all the time. Yeah, it's nice to get a game, but the other systems are selling better without pack-ins. Although, any strategy by Nintendo is probably futile with their game release schedule. I've only bought 5 games in the time I've owned the WiiU (about 1 1/2 years).

I would view the pack ins as a plus actually. Nintendo is basically adding value to the system without undercutting their profits.

Which issue would that be? Sorry if you mentioned it already and I've forgotten.

I've did a bit of complaining in another thread about it. Here's the latest post when it reoccurred recently, including a picture of the error message.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/228150-whats-the-latest-games-youve-played-on-your-wii-u/?p=3234366

Doesn't seem like a particularly common problem, so it's just bad luck on my part. My bigger issue over it was customer service last year after the initial phone call (Which went great, just like their reputation suggested it would), which was anything but organized. I didn't even get my tracking data when it was returned until it had already arrived, for one small sample.

But that's another story...

Edited by Atariboy

As far as value goes, the fact that when I buy a physical game on the Wii U it works and I can play it as-is on a system that has been entirely stable since we bought it for Xmas right after launch is important to me. I like the reward programs on the Xbox One because I've so far paid full price for exactly one game. What I dislike is that system has been irritating and I feel like I'm renting the games. I often bounce around and take a long time to beat games (like years sometimes) so losing service and hassles of installation sometimes just prevent me from gaming at this point. I think it's fine at 300 USD but since Nintendo is missing some key genres for a lot of people it would probably need a drop to really catch on as the 'it's for my kid's' system.

I'd love to see more games for the 'mature' (wants to kill stuff) crowd since offscreen play would just be a delight. I love this for CoD when I'm sort of jonesing to play a shooter and the kiddies are up.

Removing the need for the gamepad to use the store and other features went a long way to winning my heart back after some initial frustration over the interface / battery life on the pad.

I didn't know that there had been a price drop, nor was my comment really intended to get into which system is better, because as far as games go, we can run in circles.

Yes, there are some good games my kids will play... they still have interest in Nintendo franchises. But they are still on the Wii, and given that Nintendo may deep six it (the Wii U), it does not quite hold as much value for that price tag. I could be wrong, but it is unlikely that the PS4 or Xbox One will be deep sixed soon.

(Sony isn't going to do a price cut just yet as long at it is selling... though one could argue that is due...)

• Like 1

I've did a bit of complaining in another thread about it. Here's the latest post when it reoccurred recently, including a picture of the error message.

Oh, weird. It's only the power button on the controller that's giving you issues?

Edited by Asaki

No, the physical power button itself is fine. That's why the gamepad powers on and displays this error screen.

2djb42e.jpg

Something is happening that causes the wireless prompt from the gamepad that instructs the console to turn on, to not be received (or at the very least, not acted upon correctly). Isn't a range issue like the error message suggests, since I can follow those instructions with the gamepad physically touching the console, and it still will display this error until I start the console up via an alternate way.

Seems to be a console issue rather than a gamepad issue, judging by the serial numbers of what was returned to me the last time (Gamepad matched what I sent in, the console had a different serial number). Seems pretty peculiar that it would rear its head again though, since like I said, this doesn't seem to be a widespread fault.

I suspect it's some random firmware issue that for some reason, only affects a minority of users. It doesn't make sense to me if it was a hardware issue, why it communicates fine afterwards once the console is turned on and always correctly powers down the system via the gamepad's power button when I'm finished.

A faulty antenna and such should cause more issues than just with the start-up prompt from the gamepad, I would think.

Edited by Atariboy

Worth it or not is certainly debatable. I think the PS4 is worth $400 to some, just not to me. My PS3 Slim was certainly worth the $300 I paid for it in 2010. The Wii-U was well worth the $350 I paid for it at launch. Xbox (any model), I wouldn't pay more than I would for a brick at the hardware store. Maybe someday I build a castle out of them if the price is right; that would be badass! :lol:

I bought a WiiU at launch also. It was the first time ever I got rid of a system during it's retail life span (about a year into owning it). I love Nintendo games but the WiiU on a whole did not live up to the hype or my personal expectations after such an awesome previous outing with the first Wii.

• Like 1

I bought a WiiU at launch also. It was the first time ever I got rid of a system during it's retail life span (about a year into owning it). I love Nintendo games but the WiiU on a whole did not live up to the hype or my personal expectations after such an awesome previous outing with the first Wii.

I've enjoyed plenty of games on the Wii U, but man has it been a drag waiting between quality releases. If I didn't do the system transfer from my old Wii to the Wii U, I would have sold it by now. It's not worth losing all the download purchases I have acquired over the last five years or so thanks to that transfer (all those old downloads are now locked to the Wii U), so I keep it.

...deep six...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/deep_six

I learned a new word, yay! I don't believe the Wii-U is near going "deep six" yet. Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros getting continued DLC and awesome projects like Splatoon, Zelda, et al in the works. Plus Nintendo is banking a small net profit again despite several years of loss. They aren't about to "pull a Sega" anytime soon.

Edited by stardust4ever

I suspect it's some random firmware issue that for some reason, only affects a minority of users. It doesn't make sense to me if it was a hardware issue, why it communicates fine afterwards once the console is turned on and always correctly powers down the system via the gamepad's power button when I'm finished.

The only idea I have is that it could have something to do with quick launch (or standby whatever it's called).

I'm Nintendo:

I just signed a contract with Universal, to have characters and rides based on my properties, I've finally (sort of) got a grasp of my "new" system, the Wii U, with titles like Super Smash Bros, Mariocart 8, and Splatoon. Nintendo World Championships 2015!!!!! Tons of new games on the horizon, what am I doing? counting the money!

I just did a podcast on this! https://arcadearchives.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/electric-circus-episode-7-nintendo-and-universal/

I've enjoyed plenty of games on the Wii U, but man has it been a drag waiting between quality releases. If I didn't do the system transfer from my old Wii to the Wii U, I would have sold it by now. It's not worth losing all the download purchases I have acquired over the last five years or so thanks to that transfer (all those old downloads are now locked to the Wii U), so I keep it.

Well, we did the old Wii/360 thing way back. The PS4 came later once the rpgs started rolling out.

That is another point... long stretches between quality releases deflates value a bit, though I guess if one is really into console gaming, an accompanying Xbox One or PS4 will keep you busy.

I am not forgetting about the PC, but the only PC game I got into was Skyrim plus a library of unplayed games....

I'm Nintendo:

I just signed a contract with Universal, to have characters and rides based on my properties, I've finally (sort of) got a grasp of my "new" system, the Wii U, with titles like Super Smash Bros, Mariocart 8, and Splatoon. Nintendo World Championships 2015!!!!! Tons of new games on the horizon, what am I doing? counting the money!

I just did a podcast on this! https://arcadearchives.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/electric-circus-episode-7-nintendo-and-universal/

I dunno man. Considering the total and complete letdown that is NWC 2015 (literally NES Remix Champion mode, consisting of Super Mario Bros, Mario 3, and Dr Mario, playable at 8 Best Buys across the country), I wouldn't hold your breath. A Mario kiddie ride in a giant theme park won't save Nintendo.

Thing is, I'm still okay rooting for the underdog because they are that awesome. What PS4 and Xbone have, that Wii-U lacks, is marketing. Wii-U is in third place because Nintendo failed to advertise it since day one.

Edited by stardust4ever