phaeron

a8rawconv, a new raw disk conversion utility

17 minutes ago, telengard said:

I'm trying to image some working Atari disks using a8rawconv and an SCP.  Some image and convert (with lots of warnings about missing sectors, etc), to .atx and work in Altirra.  Some have similar errors and don't even boot, even though they do on my Atari w/ a 1050.  I'm not sure exactly how to interpreter the output as to what is bad or not.   I've attached the output of one of the non-working imaged disks.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and my drive is a Panasonic 5 1/4 JU-475-4EAF with flippy mod.

thanks

errors.txt 4.62 kB · 1 download

I am not the expert at this, but I have SCPd hundreds of disks and have a system that does pretty well.

This little script does the SCPing, converts it to ATX, then runs a8diskutil's sector-summary function to give an easier-to-understand picture of how the disk reading went.

$ cat ~/scripts/flux 
#!/bin/sh

a8rawconv -p 104 scp0:96tpi:/dev/cu.usbserial-SCP_JIM $1.scp
mkdir -p working
a8rawconv $1.scp working/$1.atx
a8diskutil sector-summary working/$1.atx

Usage: flux Synapse_Synfile

You can get a8diskutil here:

http://www.a8preservation.com/downloads/a8diskutil-darwin-amd64-0.8.6.zip
http://www.a8preservation.com/downloads/a8diskutil-win-amd64-0.8.6.zip
http://www.a8preservation.com/downloads/a8diskutil-win-i386-0.8.6.zip
http://www.a8preservation.com/downloads/a8diskutil-linux-amd64-0.8.6.zip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, telengard said:

I'm trying to image some working Atari disks using a8rawconv and an SCP.  Some image and convert (with lots of warnings about missing sectors, etc), to .atx and work in Altirra.  Some have similar errors and don't even boot, even though they do on my Atari w/ a 1050.  I'm not sure exactly how to interpreter the output as to what is bad or not.   I've attached the output of one of the non-working imaged disks.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and my drive is a Panasonic 5 1/4 JU-475-4EAF with flippy mod.

thanks

errors.txt 4.62 kB · 2 downloads

This is a really poor read -- unless you're copying a copy protected disk you should not be getting all those warnings about sectors that didn't read cleanly, especially if one of the passes did get a good sector. This means that the disk drive is barely reading the disk. A test you should try is to find a spare disk, format it in Atari DOS, and then read it back. You should get an absolutely clean read off a freshly written disk like that. If not, then something is wonky with the setup and needs to be adjusted.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 11:11 PM, phaeron said:

This is a really poor read -- unless you're copying a copy protected disk you should not be getting all those warnings about sectors that didn't read cleanly, especially if one of the passes did get a good sector. This means that the disk drive is barely reading the disk. A test you should try is to find a spare disk, format it in Atari DOS, and then read it back. You should get an absolutely clean read off a freshly written disk like that. If not, then something is wonky with the setup and needs to be adjusted.

I did this and it was absolutely clean as you mentioned:

0 missing sectors, 0 phantom sectors, 0 sectors with errors

Glad to know my rig is OK.  I'm surprised all of these disks I'm using are seemingly OK and are so hard to image.  Guess there are some errors lurking in there.   :)

Is there a way to force the program to continue trying to ready dodgy/weak sectors, kinda brute force?

thanks everyone for all of the great information/suggestions!

3 minutes ago, telengard said:

I did this and it was absolutely clean as you mentioned:

0 missing sectors, 0 phantom sectors, 0 sectors with errors

Glad to know my rig is OK.  I'm surprised all of these disks I'm using are seemingly OK and are so hard to image.  Guess there are some errors lurking in there.   :)

Is there a way to force the program to continue trying to ready dodgy/weak sectors, kinda brute force?

thanks everyone for all of the great information/suggestions!

The software can't do that. Wish it could. (AppleSauce FDC can do that, and it's a great feature.)

But your next step is to clean the disk. Carefully, carefully open the disk sleeve (either by lifting the flaps or carefully, carefully, cutting the back edge of the sleeve), remove the media -- making sure you know which side is up -- wash it under warm water, dry with a lint-free cloth, insert into a clean donor sleeve, and then try reading it again with the software.

-K

I am apparently very late to the flux party but I would like to say thanks for everyone who has posted great info regarding this.  I currently have a greaseweazle v4 which I purchased to attempt to create floppy disks for different vintage systems.  I have created SCP files of a8 disks but I have yet to write one that boots.  It is good to see the author has included support for Supercard Pro in a8rawconv and I was wondering if it might be possible to do the same with greaseweazle?

I have been getting tips on how to create working Atari floppy disks using my Tandon TM65-2L drive which is a 360K pc drive.  I am going to try working with a8conv as well as increasing my revs per track which is currently set to 3.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Anybody know if there is a central repository for settings people have used successfully to create diskettes from SCP files for different systems like Apple II, Atari 8 bit, C64, etc?  Thanks!

Edited by mrtwo