IGNORED

My first game for atari 2600 - Tic Tac Toe

yashin

Hello everyone! All my life I wanted to program the game for console. And just recently I discovered Batari Basic. Here's Tic Tac Toe. The music on the title screen is not suitable for this game, of course. But this is just my music experiment for Atari 2600. Switching left and right difficulty, you can turn off the music and blinking.

ttt_by_yashin.bas

ttt_by_yashin.bin

• Like 2

I know that there are a few strategies. For examlpe, if the first person takes any corner of the square and second person does not take center, the game is over too. In AI I did not realize winning strategies, because then there will be a draw or computer win.If the player wins the next move, the computer will not allow it to make. If the computer will win the next move, then he will do it.
Sorry for my english, I'm from Russia.

Very impressive, especially for a first attempt! There really isn't a whole lot of "sacrifice"; the AI has enough intellect to work around the player a bit, the music is active and interesting, the number of options available is impressive, and even the use of the playfield seems fitting and not as ugly as is common with simple games made in batariBasic.

Great job! Really the only suggestions I'd have would be to add a titlescreen with RevEng's titlescreen kernel for the game selection and to tweak the AI routines a bit. At the moment, you're going over cycles for the playfield title screen and I had one time when the AI thought long enough that I got an unpleasant squeal in my ear from the 2600 going over cycles by so much, so breaking up the AI's thinking between frames a bit more is necessary.

Thank you all for your comments.

Cybearg, I'll work on the delays in the calculation of the AI.

Byte Knight, what is a DPC+ and how to work with DCP+. May have some posts with examples?

And yet, how do random from 1 to 9 with equal probability?

Edited by yashin

Byte Knight, what is a DPC+ and how to work with DCP+. May have some posts with examples?

DPC+ is the modified Pitfall II engine that lets you create high-res multi-colored sprites, high-res playfields, 10 on-screen sprites, and use up to 64k in memory. A full description can be found in Random Terrain's excellent batari basic manual here.

You can download the latest version here.

Just search this forum for DPC+ and you'll find code examples.