IGNORED

Flashback 3 mod...

What waste. It does both. Nothing was damaged. It still plays carts. It just has 60 builtin games now.

NOPE NOPE NOPE....see that is what you are misunderstanding, it does NOT play cartridges any longer, as he implied externally it LOOKS like the original, you can stick a cartridge into it but it is not capable of playing carts anymore, he even said at the end, 60 built in games, no need for carts.... :P YOU CANNOT MOD a Flashback 3 to play carts so essentially all he has done is altered two consoles to create a Flashback 3 that LOOKS LIKE an original 2600 (To a point he has bastardized it in my opinion ), yes it has 60 built in games because the guts are the Flashback 3 but it is no longer an original and fully compatible 2600 able to use carts. You are welcome to like whatever but this is a pointless mod, just to give a Flashback the exterior of an original 2600? WHY? Isn't the point of having the built in games in a plug n play ready to go unit so it is smaller? I agree with others, would have been better to keep the original 2600 as is, if A/V out was THAT important then maybe just do an A/V mod and add a Harmony cart so he could play those 60 games and much more with the same audio / video quality.

To be clear, the guy who did the video had this post in the comments: " this is a flashback 3 - the cartridge port is just there for effect as the only way you can fit all the new bits in is to chop out the cartridge port circuit board - so it's just for show! now you can mod the flashback 2 US version which i think was the model 1 over here so you can add a cartridge port to it to play original games - i'm pretty happy how mine came out, 60 games are enough for me i've got about another 6 2600's for cartridge action lol"

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

What waste. It does both. Nothing was damaged. It still plays carts. It just has 60 builtin games now.

Are you saying it plays the carts like a normal 2600 and also the Flasback built-ins? He didn't demo the original carts in the video. He made it sound like the original 2600 is now outta there. If both do work, I'd like to see the inside. It would be a pretty nifty trick to get the Flashback and the 2600 to use the same AV out. Even niftier to get all of that to fit.

Somehow, I think if he'd gone to the trouble to get the two to share AV that he would have also rigged the flashback to use the original switches.

Edit: OSRG made the same point I did above (posted same time)

• Like 1

Three. Two is already out.

And in that case would it be possible to wire it to do both play cartridges

The flashback 3 cannot be made to play cartridges no. Perhaps if he could manage to stuff both the original and the Flashback 3 guts into the one case but that would just be stupid.

• 4 years later...

about five years too late but I think it would've been better to find an old E:T cartridge remove the rom erase it or smash it keep it for spares who cares its a worthless game remove the label and burn it take the fb3 cb out of its case shrink the start select power difficulty board reposition the joystick ports cut away any plastic inside the case that in the way after all the wire cb and port relocation it should be something along the lines of controller ports at the bottom of the cartridge av ports power port at the top and start select ect on the sides with a custom atari label replacing the old one because of the small size of the flashback board it should fit inside the cartridge though it may potrude past the original plastic inside the case if you know how to work with plastic it shouldn't be a problem I do personally have issues with people destroying original hardware but its not my console and people can do whatever they want their stuff if this isn't a hybrid console then it was a waste of an original atari the guy could've bought a fb2 it had the cartridge port connections so with some light modification it could accept atari cartridges he could've just mounted the cartridge port in the appropriate spot he could've rewired the fb start select board to the original switches that would've been cool he could've sold the original board to someone who could've used as not to waste a near 40 year old console he could've made the fb fit in a non-destructive way as it is only about half the size of a cartridge or just not destroyed an old 2600 and got a fb2 3d printed a case modified it to accept cartridges and left it at that but what can anyone do about it now its been years dude probably threw it away by now 

• Confused 3

44 minutes ago, Modern Day said:

about five years too late but I think it would've been better to find an old E:T cartridge remove the rom erase it or smash it keep it for spares who cares its a worthless game remove the label and burn it take the fb3 cb out of its case shrink the start select power difficulty board reposition the joystick ports cut away any plastic inside the case that in the way after all the wire cb and port relocation it should be something along the lines of controller ports at the bottom of the cartridge av ports power port at the top and start select ect on the sides with a custom atari label replacing the old one because of the small size of the flashback board it should fit inside the cartridge though it may potrude past the original plastic inside the case if you know how to work with plastic it shouldn't be a problem I do personally have issues with people destroying original hardware but its not my console and people can do whatever they want their stuff if this isn't a hybrid console then it was a waste of an original atari the guy could've bought a fb2 it had the cartridge port connections so with some light modification it could accept atari cartridges he could've just mounted the cartridge port in the appropriate spot he could've rewired the fb start select board to the original switches that would've been cool he could've sold the original board to someone who could've used as not to waste a near 40 year old console he could've made the fb fit in a non-destructive way as it is only about half the size of a cartridge or just not destroyed an old 2600 and got a fb2 3d printed a case modified it to accept cartridges and left it at that but what can anyone do about it now its been years dude probably threw it away by now 

Wow, that was one long sentence. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 8/12/2019 at 1:06 AM, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Wow, that was one long sentence. ?

I got pulled out of school when I was ten and never got a proper education I understand I do make run-on sentences I was learning punctuation decimals ect that year so if you think I don't know proper punctuation you're right but there's little I can do about it just be thankful I don't use excessive acronyms

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Modern Day said:

I got pulled out of school when I was ten and never got a proper education I understand I do make run-on sentences I was learning punctuation decimals ect that year so if you think I don't know proper punctuation you're right but there's little I can do about it just be thankful I don't use excessive acronyms

Little you can do about it? REALLY? Uhm....? OK, make excuses but I am pretty sure you could make some effort, hell, you can find FREE examples / lessons online, in articles, videos etc. Just saying ? all you are doing here is making excuses instead of just admitting you cannot be bothered. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
fixing my horrid grammar
  • Like 1

you don't have to be a dick bro I don't know about any "free examples" and currently I no access to public assistance because my parents misplaced my birth certificate social security ect you know nothing about me and I find it quite humorous that your so sensitive that you'd get offended by a run on sentence or perhaps you're in a bad mood and looking for someone to fuck with I don't know 

I can't read that.
  • Like 3

I know someone who writes like that ... I sometimes resort to text-to-speech to get a sense of what is being said. https://ttsreader.com won't help much in this situation, though. 

The person who did this "mod" is a danger to himself and others. He took a tiny system from a case that's mostly air, and put it into a bigger vintage case, but placed all the controls on the back where they're hard to see and use. To say nothing of the hacky Dremel job., and bragging about it on YouTube, like a small child who is proud of smearing feces on the walls. 

The Atari Flashback 3 is the first of its kind to run a software emulator. It's not terrible, but it's nothing special, either. This whole thing is a pointless waste of everyone's time, and this guy's plastic. To complete the circle of cluelessness, this jackwagon doesn't know which way the cartridge ("just for show") goes in. He later goes on to say, "if you know your Atari's..." ?

giphy.gif

The response is like you'd expect. Many downvotes.

619646138_ScreenShot2019-08-15at9_43_26AM.thumb.png.23b638f879fdee36d327ff3e7ec4dc8b.png

Cries of "how could you do that?"

375713976_ScreenShot2019-08-15at9_42_21AM.thumb.png.c42e4f2cc4cc547bfa056a8319db7085.png

But the "modder" is undeterred. Can't fix stupid. 

1721784854_ScreenShot2019-08-15at9_43_02AM.thumb.png.8eb248a348e33a2669b80e887c50e001.png

The vintage machine was probably fixable (not by this guy, obviously), but it was broken to him. 

1833899543_ScreenShot2019-08-15at9_47_30AM.thumb.png.31542c8ba70412558075d730b38d2578.png

The retro gaming community is one of my favorite places to look for examples of "just because they have a posh or interesting British accent, that doesn't make them smart."

• Like 1