IGNORED

Sunset Overdrive

Austin

I did not. Reminded me too much of Dead Rising crossed with Crackdown crossed with Saints Row crossed with any one of a dozen online Vs/co-op games. I have all those other games and they are fun, but it's going to take something special to seriously pull me away from my "To Play" pile. And this gen just hasn't produced anything like that yet. Still logging more time on my last gen systems,

I did, during last week's Target Buy 2 Get One Free sale, along with Halo: MCC and Lego Batman 3. Lego Batman 3 is for under the tree for my daughter, and I've been really playing the hell out of the Halo campaigns, so I haven't opened Sunset Overdrive yet. That's not meant to slight SO, just want to get some more Halo time in. My current 'Last Gen' title I'm playing through is Batman: Arkum Asylum. I figure once I'm finished with that, which should be pretty soon, I'll allow myself to crack open Sunset Overdrive. Given what a buddy at work has told me about it, I really can't wait to dive into it. And the guys over at Gamers with Jobs mentioned it reminded them of having similarities with Jet Set Radio Future, which was my first game on the original Xbox and I loved it. So I've only really heard good things about it so far.

I've put about an hour and a half into it so far. It definitely made me smile upon first playing it. It cuts straight to the chase right from the get-go and throws you right in to the action. The cutscenes are great and the voice acting and humor is excellent as well, it clearly doesn't take itself seriously one bit. It even makes fun of a lot of video game tropes, which a jaded individual such as myself can truly appreciate. ;)

The graphics, sound and music are all top-notch so far as well. My only issue so far is the game seems to be revolving around fetch-quests, something I'm not the biggest fan of. Fortunately the humor and action has kept me intrigued. Again I've only given it about 90 minutes worth of time so far. Now that I'm done with Ryse I'll probably give it more attention on my days off work later this week.

@MetalGhost, it definitely feels like Jet Set Radio in terms of the grinding, and the gameplay *heavily* revolves around it. The main difference is it's technically a third person shooter, so you will be shooting and grinding at the same time a LOT. It's an interesting concept and takes a few moments to adjust to, but I like it.

• 1 month later...

I finally started playing Sunset Overdrive and absolutely hate the fighting mechanic. Being forced to constantly bounce/grind/whatever is a massive distraction and I don't find it fun at all. I hope it gets better, otherwise it'll be a massive chore to finish the game.

I finally started playing Sunset Overdrive and absolutely hate the fighting mechanic. Being forced to constantly bounce/grind/whatever is a massive distraction and I don't find it fun at all. I hope it gets better, otherwise it'll be a massive chore to finish the game.

You can walk on the ground too like a traditional third person shooter. It's best to get used to grinding and shooting for now as it's the safest way to deal with enemies, but as you get better with the game, upgrade your weapons, and figure out what works best against different enemy types, you will get more comfortable with successfully taking out swarms of enemies on foot. Ideally you want to mix things up though, grind a bit, jump down on foot, scale back up a wall and start grinding again, etc.

Edited by Austin

You can walk on the ground like a traditional third person shooter, but odds are (both from what I've found and everything that I've read) that to do so is suicide....you'll get swamped pretty quickly. While I personally can see it not being for everyone, I love the grinding/bouncing gameplay. I find it a lot of fun and changes it up from other games already on the market, along with of course the visual style and 'screw the fourth wall' mentality.

You can walk on the ground like a traditional third person shooter, but odds are (both from what I've found and everything that I've read) that to do so is suicide....you'll get swamped pretty quickly. While I personally can see it not being for everyone, I love the grinding/bouncing gameplay. I find it a lot of fun and changes it up from other games already on the market, along with of course the visual style and 'screw the fourth wall' mentality.

Some types of weapons are better suited while on-foot, like the gun that fires records. This weapon mows through normal/weak OD but it's not going to be nearly as effective when you are grinding around. Ideally you want to switch back and forth between grinding and on-foot action to make the most out of your arsenal.

Edited by Austin

• 1 month later...

I have hopes for this game! Someone said that the story etc is kind of crap in a 90s sort of "awesome radical!" way (that have "humor consultants for jeezie petes sake) but the gameplay itself is excellent.

If you don't take it seriously the story is kind of hilarious. But tastes differ and that will be the ultimate determining factor there for you. Personally, I was rolling most of the way through the game. Some of the crap that happens story-wise near the end of the game is just ridiculously crazy and over the top, and I was laughing my ass off the whole time. :)

• Like 1

So I had been playing handing off a bit with my friend, but I think maybe that was a mistake; I removed my data and started again, and it went more smoothly and felt a bit better.

It's sort of weird how much button mashing this game encourages (a x a x there's gotta be a bounce thing or grind here somewhere!!!!)

I didn't notice much of the hand holding. Yeah, it's got arrows telling you where to go and people yell at you, but the stuff it throws at your face (like how upgrades and boosts work) can be skipped for the most part. Hell, I didn't even understand the upgrade system until the second half of the game because I just skipped over it. Didn't feel the game was very button mashy at all either. You have to do a lot of constant inputs, but I don't think button mashing will get you very far especially later in the game. Things get pretty crazy eventually.

Something to keep in mind with Sunset Overdrive is it does have a linear single player campaign. There is typically only one goal to do at any given time and you are pretty much stuck with that unless you run into someone else in the city that gives you a mini-game style sidequest. You do have a little choice in how you get to your goal (do I use quick travel, or work my way across by foot and grind out on enemies to level up my abilities and guns?), but for the most part you are on a set path when it comes to progressing to the end of the story.

Edited by Austin

• 2 months later...

I gave up on trying to like it.

My second pass through to some early levels made me like it a bit more, but I think I have to admit to myself that while I love open world sandbox games, I want them to be set in in worlds that feel like they could be real, where every nook and cranny of every building isn't put there to be interacted with. A deserted city laid out with convenient rails and crawling with zombies just doesn't grab me the same way a GTA / Just Cause / Far Cry would (or even Hulk: Ultimate Destruction)

Plus, the dialog was trying too hard to be cool. It's a 2014 version of 90s "Hey Be Awesomely Tubular Radical!"

And I guess I don't like the bouncy / railing gameplay much either.

So not a bad game, not my cuppa.

It's on sale at Best Buy this week and I'm tempted because it looks like good fun, but the reviews I've seen all mention the fact that the game is full of non-stop F-bombs, so I couldn't play it when my daughter is around. And since my home theater room is also her play room I don't like kicking her out just so I can play a game.

Why do so many developers feel that foul language is necessary? I mean, I know that appeals to adolescent boys who think it's cool and edgy, but plenty of adults play games, too.

• 1 month later...

You can turn the swearing off in the options menu (I like it though I wish more games had nudity, strong language, and generally more graphic mature content). As for the game itself I think its awesome, its very colorful and fast paced, the guns are imaginative the rebirth scenes are clever and theirs lots of stuff to grind on and shoot at. Definitely a must own for Xbox One owners who want something new and just a bit strange yet with a subtle familiarity for those who are experienced with the movement mechanics of the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series.

• 1 year later...