IGNORED

Anyone in NY?

Fushek

Unfortunately, the guy is refusing to ship anywhere. If anyone is near NY (or able to drive/fly there) and can snag this ... I'll pay you the $200 for their asking price + $500 to pick it up and send it my way.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/vgm/4765511526.html

Or ... at least ... if I can't get it, at least someone here can complete their collection ...

Or ... I'll pay for all the games and just send me two of them ... you can keep the rest :)

Edited by Fushek

I threatened to drive to NYC (only about 8 hours) but my wife gave me one of these "I don't think so ..." looks. I'm starting to believe in the famous words of Oscar Wilde: "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."

Besides, I'd likely drive all the way there just to found out that he already sold them to someone else!

I'm less than two hours away, but I'm busy on a work project, and I dunno...this sounds sketchy to me, honestly. The Bronx can get pretty dangerous, though some of it is much better than it used to be.

Also, the itemized entry for "Nice Ideas" is very suspect. If he already has Championship Tennis and World Cup Soccer listed, how would that have shown up as an individual entry? And all those games and no Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack?

Yeah ... not sure if it's legit ... but if I was hoping to rip someone off, I probably wouldn't do it with Intellivision games for $200. Could be wrong ... but a public meeting would be a must!

I did email asking for pics and if would ship. He replied back (with his iPhone 6) that he wasn't interested in shipping. My reply begging him to ship was ignored :_(.

Well, I'd be happy (?) to be wrong, but to me the whole thing -- the Craigslist post, I mean -- smells like a scam or a troll. It's probably the latter, since there are plenty of people who post fake Stadium Events listings and that kind of thing, usually buried in a long list of games for plausibility. So there's no reason someone wouldn't do the same with Intellivision.

Heck, I was already seeing fake yard sale advertisements on Craigslist 2-3 years ago -- whether to throw other collectors off or just to mess with people, I have no idea.

Did the seller use a real name (or an obvious pseudonym) in his reply?

• Like 1

Yep, if you're going to get jacked outside someone's house and get your wallet, iPhone, etc. taken, the Bronx is probably the likeliest place in NYC. (And how many people from the Bronx hit garage sales on a regular basis? It's not a great home base for that.)

Then again, some parts of Brooklyn are still very rough too -- a quick stop at the East New York train station will confirm that!

Of course, the most salient thing of all is that iPhones have cameras, and it takes 5 seconds to snap and upload a picture. Without that, this whole thing is verrrrry theoretical. But hey, if someone jumped on this "deal" and actually made it happen, godspeed to 'em.

• Like 1

Why would someone put up a listing just to rob someone? Couldn't they just rob any random person? $200 isn't exactly a huge wad of cash to be carrying around these days. This fear of online postings mystifies me as a Canadian - I do it all the time and have only ever had one person do the whole "we better meet in a public place" thing. But when I do Craigslist in the US, EVERYONE insists on some sketchy parking lot meetup after work, which usually means after dark, as if that's somehow safer for everyone involved. :P

The ad could well be legit. Earlier this year, I found an ad with some of the rarest NES games, mixed in with a bunch of semi-common stuff, all $10 each. Turns out it was some woman selling her son's collection - something had happened and he just no longer gave a shit and said whatever, get rid of them. She had quite the response from people accusing her of a scam (although what the possible scam angle here could be escapes me), plus several dozen - who obviously didn't get the games - basically yelling at her for being a sucker and getting taken advantage of.

tl;dr: I'm pretty sure this guy's list was taken straight from RarityGuide.com, by just copying the first 5 pages when sorted by rarity.

Can anyone think of an explanation for the "Nice Ideas" entry?

Also, there's a very weird pattern to what's not included:

AD&D Cloudy Mountain
Atlantis
Backgammon
Beauty and the Beast
Bowling
Boxing
Donkey Kong
Frogger
Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack
Las Vegas Roulette
Lock 'n' Chase
Major League Baseball
NASL Soccer
NBA Basketball
NFL Football
NHL Hockey
Night Stalker
PGA Golf
Reversi
Royal Dealer
Skiing
Snafu
Space Armada
Space Battle
Stampede
Star Strike
Super Cobra
Tennis
Triple Action
Tron: Deadly Discs
Tutankham
Utopia

The one touch of realism is that Super Cobra and Tutankham are absent, and I can see someone skipping most of the card and gambling games (though Horse Racing is listed).

But still: who would have the two less-common Tron games, but not the original? Who would have Triple Challenge and Spiker, but not Night Stalker or Utopia? Who would have every Coleco game but Donkey Kong? Fathom and Truckin', but not Atlantis or Beauty and the Beast? Who would bother collecting Learning Fun I & II and the original versions -- only a collector would do that -- but somehow skip most of the common Mattel games?

Honestly, it looks like the output of a database that's been filtered to omit the cheapest Intellivision games, plus the two non-US releases. There are only a few weird outliers, like Auto Racing and Horse Racing.

EDIT: Interesting, check this out. At a cursory glance, it looks like everything from page 6 and on matches what's not included -- and Super Cobra and Tutankham aren't included on the RarityGuide.com list. Checkers makes it in because of the Sears version, same with Space Hawk. And notice some distinctive versions of the titles that match the Craigslist post exactly, e.g.:

Electric Company: Math Fun
Masters of the Universe: Power of He-Man
Chess and USCF Chess (both are listed)
Jetsons - Ways With Words (exact same typography as RarityGuide.com)
Qbert (no asterisk in either source)

Is this the source of the list? If you take the first 5 pages of the RarityGuide.com list, remove a couple obvious doubles (Horse Racing, ABPA Backgammon), but include Chess and USCF Chess, plus add a spurious "Nice Ideas" from a bad copy & paste, I think the two lists are the same.

I saw this earlier today and it had the obvious stench of BS. No pics? That game list? I've seen so much BS posted on CL that I don't believe anything like this. Why take the time to type out a list like that instead of snapping a pic? Because its phony. Still don't understand what the phonies get out of it though.

Yep, I've figured out how the guy made this list:

1) Go to Rarityguide.com, sort their Intellivision list by rarity (descending), and show 100 entries per page. Or just click here.

2) Copy the list on the first page (100 entries total) and sort it alphabetically.

3) Delete the obvious double entries for Horse Racing, Frog Bog, and Pac-Man.

4) Now, for the finishing touch, somehow add in an entry for "Nice Ideas", and delete the exclamation mark on Pitfall! for some reason.

Congratulations, you've got an exact copy of this guy's Craigslist game list! :D

• Like 1

All the imitation crab meat you can grab.. yum-mmy!

Seriously though... there are just all kinds of wrong with that ad :o.

Ya Think!

Funny I just got an email back from the guy, it's still available but he'll sell to the next buyer….