IGNORED

Omnimon XL ROM Image Request

ballyalley

I'm looking for a ROM image for Omnimon XL.

I found only one site that supposedly has Omnimon XL. It is here:

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/atari_forever/ROM/

Here is a link to the Atari 8-Bit FAQ. The area is called, "Section - 7.2) What other operating systems have been produced for the Atari:"

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/section-61.html#b

According to the Atari 8-Bit FAQ (with it's listed CRC32 for the alternate Atari operating systems), the file labeled as Omnimon is actually Omnimon XE. Is that a good substitute? Will the same commands work?

Here is a link to the Omnimon XL user guide (it's the only version of the manual that I could find):

https://archive.org/details/Atari_Omnimon_XL_users_guide

Does someone have the proper Omnimon XL ROM that they can post?

These are what I have.

attachicon.gifOmnimon Roms.zip

Thanks. I did a CRC32 compare and then added the CRC checksum to the filenames in your zipped ROM images (on my own PC). Then I compared the files against the Atari 8-Bit FAQ. Here are the results:

Omnimon [2FBBA1F9].rom - No CRC match in Atari 8-Bit FAQ

Omnimon 87 [9B4F8FAD].rom - CRC Accurate, matches Atari 8-Bit FAQ

Omnimon [2B1D6552].rom - No CRC match in Atari 8-Bit FAQ

Omnimon [Alt] [5EDB00C6].rom - No CRC match in Atari 8-Bit FAQ

Omnimon [Xl] [bFA09B66].rom - CRC Accurate, matches Atari 8-Bit FAQ

Ramrod (Omnimon XE) [64B77137].rom - CRC Accurate, matches Atari 8-Bit FAQ

As you can see, Omnimon XL was indeed part of that archive. That's just what I wanted. Thanks for the very rapid response.

• Like 1

Here's a PDF of the OmnimonXL and OmniView manuals::

Thanks. I had found those manuals already while searching for the Omniview XL ROM.

While searching for Omnimon, I came across plenty of Omnimon material. I found three other Omnimon XL-related files too. Maybe someone else will find them useful. I'm placed them into a zipped archive that contains:

1. Omnimon XL (Summary).txt - A text file with a summary of the Omnimon XL commands that accompanied a zipped file of some Omnimon ROM images. I found this at the pigwa.net ftp site. It was added to the site on November 3, 1998.
  2. Omnimon XL (The Basics).txt - A text message called "Re: Using OmniMon XL" by James Gilbert. This was posted to the Cleveland Freenet on December 02, 1998.
  3. Omnimon XL Manual [RTF].rtf - An OCRed (or re-typed?) version of the Omnimon XL manual in Rich Text Format.

Here are the three Omnimon XL-related document files:

Omnimon XL Misc Doc Files.zip

It will be good to have as much Omnimon material in one place. If anyone has any other useful Omnimon files, then please post them here.

Edited by ballyalley

Hi Guys, I've been tinkering with a hex editor on these files...

Omnimon [Alt] [5EDB00C6].rom - No CRC match in Atari 8-Bit FAQ

This set is identical to OmniMon87 - apart from the copyright line which is © 1984 David Young, making me think this is the original and the '87 version is the hack of this.

The other versions all seem to be identical apart from the rare byte of difference (except Omnimon [2B1D6552].rom which has a hacked title "S.O.D. 1991" and otherwise appears identical to the other "OmnimonXE" set.

Maybe the FAQ needs updating? :)

Cheers.

At first I thought, "no way." But maybe it could be loaded into middle memory and then moved to the ram under rom area in the same way that a rom image is copied to the ram under rom. Interesting -- but I'd still bet against it, else we would have seen it done before now.

-Larry

It is possible to load OMNIMON in the ram under the ROM area. But since entering Omimon is usually accomplished by pressing the RESET key, the RESET key needs to be trapped.

There is another way to enter OMNIMON, by inserting a code in the program: JSR $C001 / X=USR (49153) . You can exit back to your program by pressing START and ENTER simultaneity. I have done that in the past.

madi

I assume the translator type disks manage this?

I'm going to need to do some research on this. I didn't think that the translators worked that way -- instead that they moved rom into ram and then changed specific vectors to coincide with the 800 OS's. But Madi is right, OS that are designed to be in rom will likely not survive any reset. There have been enough translators written and rom-to-ram programs that I should be able to find some good info. It is an interesting question.

-Larry

Depnds on the reset I know a few translators appear to be reset proof, and at least one construction kit support nmi reset without hacking apart your Atari check out the recent discussion at...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229218-two-versions-of-translator-disk/page-3?hl=%2Btranslator&do=findComment&comment=3108615

Doesn't part of the OS - The Self Test - live at 0x5000? Not an issue soft loading say OS-A or OS-B on a machine or say, XLOS-3 on an XLOS-2 machine (as long as you don't want to use the self-test) but Omnimon etc might use this (I've not checked), so it might not be possible to soft load this and then page it in without finding somewhere else for it to go, and then copy into 0x5000 when it's envoked?

Firing up the Hex editor on the Atari translator disk (http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-translator-_15937.html) it looks like there is an entire 10k OS from offset 0x3a10. I can cut it out and use it as an OS in altirra - The usual peeks into 0xfff8/0xfff9 suggest it's OS-A/PAL but it's significantly different to the one we have.... Very odd...

-Peter

Well it is for real hardware and is meant to handle the Atari O.S.'s you would need to modify it a bit to handle other O.S.'s take a look into it further see where it's located and modify the o.s. disk maker accordingly. Do any of the translators ever work in emulators? I thought the emulator had it's own protected roms that it enforces. I do nothing in emulators to this day and have only ever worked on real hardware... with these exceptions.... APE.... and sio2serial of some kind or s-100 with critical connection.

Maybe someone want's to take a stab at it, but it must be verified on real hardware.

Emulators do weird things even to this day with games like RGB etc. resulting in a fix to the emulator.

Give the already made translators a try before using the o.s. disk maker. If they crash in the emulator then it's something else going on. If they work then use the o.s. disk maker in the emulator on the working o.s. and try the resulting disk in the emulator. If it crashes then it won't work in an emulator... if the resulting disk does work.. then you can try it on omni etc. you may have to accomodate a longer length capture to do so and the o.s. maker may have to look in a different chunk of memory to find omni..

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...