IGNORED

Microvision Problem Stopping/Fixing? (Screen Rot, ESD Damage, Knob Damage)

magikarpow

So, I'm interested in buying a Microvision. If you are unaware, this is a 2nd-gen handheld. It is the first handheld ever to have enter-changeable cartridges. It was released in 1979.

The problem is, it was somewhat primitive technology at the time, so it can have a lot of problems. So if I get a working one, I would like to know how to prevent problems, especially screen rot.

I do know that you should never leave it in the heat/direct sun but is their anything else I should know?

Also is their anyway to fix/replace the knobs if they break?

I would especially like info from anyone who owns the system itself. Thanks a ton!

220px-Microvision-Handheld.jpg

I'm no expert on screen rot, but temperature extremes do seem to be the killer. I kinda figure if they've made it this long working fully, they probably will continue to do so.

There's really only one knob. It's pretty sturdy and very unlikely to break. I wouldn't be at all concerned about breakage. However, the units do suffer the standard old potentiometer fate and the pot may need to be cleaned and conditioned to make the movement stable for "paddle" games.

The biggest pain with the several units I have is the cartridge socket contacts. Be prepared to spend some time cleaning those with something slightly abrasive and some cleaner/conditioner like Deoxit. Disassembly might be required to get at the contacts on the board and the other side of the little contact block thingy. You'll know what I mean when you get in there.

There's really nothing to be concerned about in disassembly and reassembly except static electricity. I honestly haven't been too careful with any of mine and have had no failures, but there are lots of stories about their sensitivity.

Edited by BigO

There is no way to completely prevent screen rot. It's a flaw of the nascent LCD manufacturing processes of the time. The LCDs simply were not sealed to later standards.

I have 8 Microvision handhelds. 6 of the screens were working when I bought them, now only 2 are and 1 of those is almost completely black. All have been in climate control and away from sunlight.

To my knowledge, there are no compatible replacement screens. Only buy one online if the screen is shown working in photos. Even that doesn't guarantee it will arrive working, but at least your chances are higher.

The easiest way to fix a knob is carefully cleaning it with contact cleaner. If that doesn't work, recycle a knob from a Microvision with a dead screen.

Once the ESD problem was discovered after the system's initial release, Milton Bradley shipped foil stickers with games. Look for that foil sticker to have already been applied to the handheld, it should be above the screen. Sometimes they were gold colored, sometimes silvery.

I had a Microvision as a kid, never applied the foil sticker, and never experienced the ESD problem, but we lived in a house with hardwood floors so there was less static discharge than if everything was carpeted. Annecdotal, but whatever ;)

Thanks for the tips. Wow, though 8 Microvisions? How fast did they die out?

I started "reaquiring" them around 2006. By 2009 I had 5 working, only 1 with a dead screen. Since then the screens on all of those died. I bought a few more that I found for reasonable prices. 3 of the "new" ones are dead, 1 works perfectly, 1 is barely usable.