IGNORED

Best TV for Retro Gaming

snimaster

I am looking for a CRT tv for retro gaming. I cam across the Sony Wega KV-34XBR910 (also known as Sony Wega KV-XBR910). Does anyone know if this is a good model? Supposedly you should get one with 50hz, but i am not sure if this model has 50hz. Is there one you would recommend if not this one?

What VectorGamer said. It's a great TV. All Trinitrons are, even if my one from 2000 suffers a little here and there.

What VectorGamer said. It's a great TV. All Trinitrons are, even if my one from 2000 suffers a little here and there.

Topic has already been discussed over the last few months.

Sony Trinitron

/thread

Welcome to the forums, btw

So its a good option great. Do you know if it has the 50hz. I don't know a lot about it, and with the ability to buy any TV i want to make sure i get the best possible with no input lag. Supposedly the 50hz has no input lag compared to the 100hz models.

I think you're thinking of LCD TVs...

Yeah, there's no input lag on a CRT TV of any prominence. Pretty sure they're all 60 Hz too. Also, to expect to find a precise model of a CRT is not realistic. Just search for Sony in general made in the early 2000's in the size you want.

Edited by Greg2600

Yeah, there's no input lag on a CRT TV of any prominence. Pretty sure they're all 60 Hz too. Also, to expect to find a precise model of a CRT is not realistic. Just search for Sony in general made in the early 2000's in the size you want.

I think you're thinking of LCD TVs...

I read this somewhere, but maybe i am confused or reading it wrong.

"If you get a 50hz set rather than 100hz or progressive you'll be able to make use of all the lightgun games which normally only work with 50hz sets. Also 50hz sets have absolutely no input lag as they do not process the image so game response time is far superior to lcds and a lesser extent plasmas.

Many 50hz sets have a true RGB mode which gives fantastic results. 100hz sets can't do this as they have to videograb the incoming video to process."

Where do you live? 50hz is the PAL CRT standard refresh rate. NTSC standard is 60 Hz. PAL CRT's had a smoother image, since 50Hz was a closer match to the 35mm film movies were shot in. For video games, this is irrelevant. NTSC games were designed to work on NTSC (60Hz) TV's, PAL games to work on 50Hz TV's. Light guns will work on ALL CRT's unless they use rear projection (normally just massive sets that likely have died by now) or were EDTV (enhanced) sets that could display 480p.

LCD, Plasma, etc. TV's and monitors can display multiple refresh rates. Obviously the higher the better for watching HD film. You cannot get light guns to work on ANY HDTV (LCD, plasma, DLP, etc.) regardless of refresh rate, because the way the screen is refreshed.

Edited by Greg2600

Where do you live? 50hz is the PAL CRT standard refresh rate. NTSC standard is 60 Hz. PAL CRT's had a smoother image, since 50Hz was a closer match to the 35mm film movies were shot in. For video games, this is irrelevant. NTSC games were designed to work on NTSC (60Hz) TV's, PAL games to work on 50Hz TV's. Light guns will work on ALL CRT's unless they use rear projection (normally just massive sets that likely have died by now) or were EDTV (enhanced) sets that could display 480p.

LCD, Plasma, etc. TV's and monitors can display multiple refresh rates. Obviously the higher the better for watching HD film. You cannot get light guns to work on ANY HDTV (LCD, plasma, DLP, etc.) regardless of refresh rate, because the way the screen is refreshed.

That's PAL stuff. Are you in Europe?

No in NA. So ya i guess i just didn't understand it. So just to clarify any CRT (including the flat ones) will work, except for the rear projection correct?

No in NA. So ya i guess i just didn't understand it. So just to clarify any CRT (including the flat ones) will work, except for the rear projection correct?

Flat Screens will still work, pretty much all those 2000's Sony/Toshiba/Samsung CRT's have flat screens/CRT's. Flat Panel is what an LCD TV is. You don't need a curved tube screen to have light guns and Sega Scope 3D glasses work, as far as I know. Your best bet is to look on Craigslist, and see if anybody is selling or even giving away a Trinitron that still works. I'd get one that has component (not just composite) input, they all have S-video usually. Be aware that 32" and larger are MASSIVE sets, impossible to carry on your own.

Edited by Greg2600

You cannot get light guns to work on ANY HDTV (LCD, plasma, DLP, etc.) regardless of refresh rate, because the way the screen is refreshed.

Unless you use a CD-i player with lightgun. Since it uses a different technic, you can use it on any type of display.

You cannot get light guns to work on ANY HDTV (LCD, plasma, DLP, etc.) regardless of refresh rate, because the way the screen is refreshed.

I know, the same principle applies to my favorite watch, an old Timex Data-Link 150. To program it you held it up in front of a CRT and it flashed lines that programmed in all the appointments, birthdays, alarms, sounds and other programs. The watch looks brand new still, but is now only good for time and basic alarms. :(

The one pictured below is exactly like mine, pity that 80% of it's usefulness was erased by the ongoing march of technology.

715330768_tp.jpg

Unless you use a CD-i player with lightgun. Since it uses a different technic, you can use it on any type of display.

Ehhh, that would be the last system I'd want to use with a lightgun!

I know, the same principle applies to my favorite watch, an old Timex Data-Link 150. To program it you held it up in front of a CRT and it flashed lines that programmed in all the appointments, birthdays, alarms, sounds and other programs. The watch looks brand new still, but is now only good for time and basic alarms. :(

The one pictured below is exactly like mine, pity that 80% of it's usefulness was erased by the ongoing march of technology.

715330768_tp.jpg

OMG, yes I remember these kinds of watches!

It's not a bad system. Not as bad as many want you to believe on youtube.

Has some good american laser games, lightgun games.

But each to they're own.

I've seen it myself in person, it's not good, and prohibitively expensive given the performance/library. It's not going to get you the FMV-nostalgia of say 3DO.