IGNORED

Getting Back Into Lynx

DvdXploitr

First off, hi guys, i'm new here. But I am not new to the Atari Lynx. Back in 1990, my cousin got a Game Boy for his birthday and I was so jealous of it. The idea of playing NES ports on the go was awesome. I asked my parents if I could get a Game Boy and they told me to wait until Christmas. As Christmas got closer, I was still wanting a Game Boy. I remember my parents taking me to the mall and I went to a store that sold video games (Can't remember the name of it). I was looking at Game Boy to see what all games were available. I glanced over a little past the Game Boy section and saw the Atari Lynx. What drew my attention to it was the color screen. I told my parents thats what I wanted for Christmas, not the Game Boy. My brother was with me and said "Get a Game Boy! Atari sucks!". I insisted on the Lynx, but my parents weren't so sure because of the higher price point. They told me that since it was higher, that they wouldn't be able to get me much more to go with it. I didn't care. So, anyway, I got the Lynx for Christmas and I enjoyed it. I took it to school and people were impresses by the graphics and the color screen. Some of the ones that got Game Boy's for Christmas were wishing they had gotten one. But, anyone, long story short, after a couple years of owning it, it got stolen from my backpack at school. I never managed to get another one and it wasn't until I was on YouTube a few weeks ago and saw a video on it that it brought back all the memories as a kid having one. I've been searching on eBay, Amazon and then I ran across a site called Best Electronics. I contacted Best Electronics to get information about shipping etc. They have a Lynx II for $74.10 including shipping. Growing up, I had the Lynx original, but I wouldn't mind getting the Lynx II as a replacement now. Is that a good price? Is Best Electronics a reputable site? Is the shipping quick?

My friend Rob was the only kid in my grade who got the Lynx. Yes it looked so much better than the GB, but the batteries got used up far too quick. He was only able to bring it to school a couple times, because he couldn't afford the batteries (none of us could!).

Best is a reputable site, Bradley (owner) has tons of official/new Atari stock in his warehouse. His website is archaic though as you saw, but most people have flawless transactions with him. I would concur on getting the Lynx II, it's superior in several ways. Make sure it comes with an AC Adapter of course. $74 including shipping is fine. You could do better on ebay with some games, too, but there's no guarantee. At least with Best, it's reconditioned to work. I don't recall speed of shipping, but it was average at worst for sure, no issues.

I have plenty of rechargeable AA batteries.....the one at Best doesn't come with the AC adapter...just the system and California Games........i'll buy an AC adapter after I get the system....may get the NiCad battery pack too....or even that battery pack that runs off D-Cell batteries.....has anyone used the battery pack that runs on D-Cells?

• Like 1

I just got a Lynx 1 and I think it is much superior in build quality and collectability versus the 2nd revised unit. Your price was about what I paid, and mine also came with California Games from Best Electronics. As far as it being a refurb, it looks nearly new (which is important with the first model because the black paint on the sides tends to wear off with use). I am very happy overall.

I like the design of the original Lynx more, but I've never even seen the second model in person.....add in the extra battery life and easier to access cartridge port (I never really liked that door when I had mine as a kid)....I may end up buying a Lynx I in the future anyway....at least i could do multiplayer with two systems

• 2 weeks later...

It's awesome to read about your experience and I'm glad you rediscovered the Lynx. I used to have the battery pack that uses D-Cells way back when, I got it before we went on an extraordinarily long vacation in the car as a kid, and I seem to remember it being somewhat worth it, even using rechargeable batteries. Couldn't tell you how many hours I used to get, but it got me through 7-8 hours in the the car per day with occasional use.

That being said, I've never used the Ni-Cad charger from Best Electronics, but it looks pretty sweet.

It's awesome to read about your experience and I'm glad you rediscovered the Lynx. I used to have the battery pack that uses D-Cells way back when, I got it before we went on an extraordinarily long vacation in the car as a kid, and I seem to remember it being somewhat worth it, even using rechargeable batteries. Couldn't tell you how many hours I used to get, but it got me through 7-8 hours in the the car per day with occasional use.

That being said, I've never used the Ni-Cad charger from Best Electronics, but it looks pretty sweet.

I do believe eStarLand sells the D-cell battery pack...I thought about picking one up there

• 3 weeks later...

Hi DVDX, sorry for the lateness of this reply. Been busy with the holidays!

Anyway, yes, I have the battery pack that uses the D batteries. If you travel a lot via plane, train, or automobile, I would definitely say it is worth it. I can't say how long of a charge it gives you, as I am still using the same batteries I put in 3 years ago! I have used it sparingly, as you can tell. But the d cells seem to last quite awhile.