IGNORED

How did you learn about Atari Age and the TI-99/4A forum?

Omega-TI

Got back into the TI in 2004 - emulation only. At first I got the V9T9. A few months later I discovered MESS. I started making demos in cart format, the occasional one hour late night burnout and put up a website on 99er.net. Chose the nick Sometimes, as I'd probably be wandering about and get distracted, and not just concentrate on that one game. Time would and never has allowed for it.

In late 2006 I started referring (and became a member) to AtariAge on the main TI community gathering at the time, the TI99-4A Yahoo Group list. Credit must of course go to Retroclouds for establishing the TI forum here. Things were great and thriving here in the beginning of late 2009. That had already changed drastically early 2011 when AtariAge finally had attracted more people interested in the hardware than game programming.

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 1

Searching for some information about the Mini Memory module, found Rasmus' Sabre Wulf video on Youtube - voilá :-)

I bought my first Ti99/4A back in '83 when I was 13 (the one I have today is my third), Ti activities in Denmark seemed to fade away in '87/88 (no internet with easy access to information). But what is going on in this forum brings back the joy and happiness, but might also cost a fortune - I have to upgrade with a lot of new stuff and figure out how to inform my wife :-)

Edited by DrawsACircle
  • Like 1

Searching for some information about the Mini Memory module, found Rasmus' Sabre Wulf video on Youtube - voilá :-)

I bought my first Ti99/4A back in '83 when I was 13 (the one I have today is my third), Ti activities in Denmark seemed to fade away in '87/88 (no internet with easy access to information). But what is going on in this forum brings back the joy and happiness, but might also cost a fortune - I have to upgrade with a lot of new stuff and figure out how to inform my wife :-)

Hej og velkommen. Nu er vi 3 fra Danmark.

One of those that were member of AtariAge before the TI99 sub-section.

I used to be big time follower/lurker and poster from time to time in the four Yahoo groups (the original, the swpb (programming), the geneve, and new one to replace the original), and was glad this AtariAge TI99 site took off, as the only the Geneve section of Yahoo is useful, as programming one slowly died off, and the original Yahoo group is really a 'hate TI' group it has some bad apples in it, sorry to say... and the replacement one was great for while but seems to have died off.

If you buy one of the nanoPEB/CF7 devices from

http://www.stargames.be/shop/105-accessoires

you will have all you need to get started (32K and disk drives).

• Like 1

I came here years ago for atari jaguar and 5200 stuff. Was always a big fan of Atari consoles and computers. Never did get the Atari 400 which I really wanted and instead got a ti99/4a at a reduced price of 50 pound new. Have loved the Ti ever since especially extended basic.

• Like 1

I think the 1st time I came across Atariage was back in the late 90's or very early 2000's whilst using either the Atari 2600 Stella or Z26 emulators, a link to new or prototype game files

may have been it.

I also remember a bit later seeing the Time Pilot Alpha or beta for the TI99/4a on Youtube and did a search that led me here. It's funny now as I remember this part of the forum as being

a bit hidden away in a dark corner. In contrast it is now buzzing with activity and of course I know go direct to the TI99/4a programming section.

Last year I got and repaired a dead C64, then 64c that was also dead, next acquired a Vic-20 and some Commodore Plus/4's. Then it hit me that I should chase down a TI99/4a as that

was my first computer back in Christmas 1983. Since then I've gotten a nanoPEB, F18a, and some 64k Jon Guidry boards as well as UBERGROM boards on the way. I also have my

original Amiga 500 with CF IDE And 8mb ram upgrade. Most recent purchase is a NOS Atari 65XE from Best Electronics.

Of course none of this would be possible without the Internet, Ebay, and this forum. My original machine died in about 1986 when the characters on screen got all messed up whilst loading

in a level of TOD from cassette, by the early 90's it was binned as I saw no chance of it ever working again, things have changed for the better of course as far as that is concerned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally registered, after years of web searches for various TI peripherals, devices, and names kept landing me here as an anonymous browser.

Initially when the F18A was being worked on, there were some posts at the Parallax forum I frequented about simulating the TMS9918A video chip. That got me curious again as well about how it was developed in the later 70's, leading me to the fascinating MSX info page compilation of the engineers's (not so great) experience at TI, scans of handwritten notes, and prior newsgroup and forum postings. Because as a child "the TI" was the first computer I was exposed to at my grandpa's house, and the first computer I learned to program on. I started early and was banging on that keyboard when I was 5. It survives even to this day, although with what is probably bad DRAM. Oh well, I have a spare console or 3. But I will fix the first one just for nostalgia sake.

It must have been 2010 or 2011, I was at the midwest gaming classic in Milwaukee, and I noticed a TI-99/4A with a CF card disk emulation unit attached to the side. I didn't get to play with it too much, but I just had to get my hands on one. The person nearby led me to the yahoo group, but that didn't offer too much and is a difficult site to use. Off and on again, searching for years, I finally was on ebay at the right time a week ago, and just happened to pick up one of the nanoPEB's in the hour they were available. In the meantime from auctions, i've acquired some stuff like minimemory, new joysticks, a new in box PEB and disk drive, I'm just waiting to complete that beast some day when prices are more reasonable and I have time, space, and patience to deal with actual floppies.

What finally got me checking this forum almost daily when I saw Rasmus's youtube pages. While I'm not super-enthusiastic about the F18A itself, I do admire his ability to program and present... I personally didn't believe the faux or even real scrolling could be done so well on a TI-99 with 32K memory expansion, given the slowness of the hardware. I am blown away by his javascript emulator, just incredible.

What I like here is how well people create a topic and follow through, with such an amazingly supportive atmosphere and enthusiasm for a console that's a few years older than I am. From the hardware side, I don't know why, but it's fun for me to work with these old 5 Volt TTL logic based systems, repairing them and keeping them going. Doing simple mods like the caps lock mod. Always learning something from people's documentation and new discoveries.

although immediate item on todo list is to find or create a fitting avatar picture...

• Like 4

Atari 7800 and 8 bits. Only came in here because Chris was giving away 99 computers n Pebs. Now I have more things to buy. icon_dunce.gif Thx Chris

Now with a full setup, I dont have much excuse to not get in TI 99s. I have not touched a 99 since 81 or 82. I grew up with Atari XL XE and an Apple IIc.

post-7833-0-58749700-1417974238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Almost Rice
  • Like 1

I have some old Quad density 5.25 drives. I may just go with a couple 3.5" drives. just dont know yet since I would need to buy the floppy controller and 32K memory. Might just get the nanoPEB instead. I found out the monitor cable works with my 600XL, but has no color since it is a PAL system.

I have been degaussing the monitor, but may not be too effective since the color shift seems to be caused by the monitor speaker. Wasnt expecting the monitor, but I did need a small color monitor. I love the size.

One thing I noticed, Chris' wife seemed happy that I was taking off his hands. My wife on the other hand was not too happy, but I had just repaired our HP 8150DN and saved us near $200 so she could not argue with my hobby since it produced savings. also, hard to argue with free.

Edited by Almost Rice

Note, to use the quad density drives as quad density (720K), you'll need a Myarc controller (or you can use them as single density 80-track drives with a modified TI controller to give yourself 360K). The other controllers don't have an 80-track modification available (CorComp, Atronic, or BwG).

I was trying to find information about the nanoPEB, and I kept being linked to this site. At first I kept skipping the links (« Atariage » doesn't sound very TI related) following links to mainbyte or oldcomputers instead, but eventually I clicked the link!!!

Man, I have been part of several forums in my life (most of us are old enough to comsider forums to be the new BBSes, so I'll include BBSes in this comment), but rarely have I seen a community that is so supportive, or threads that so easily come back to life with a single added comment.

Now like alot of TI users, my follow up systems was an 800XL (although after my 4A, my STe was the next great love of my life - placing my wife in a very distant 3rd place), so to the gereatrics among us, there is a certain logic in having TI's discussed on an Atari titled site. Both systems were killed by corporate mismanagement of the product line (we needed Steve Jobs, but we got Jack Tramiel and Jerry Junkins!), so there's a natural comradery at play.

Whatever the reason, I am very happy I found this place...and more, found all you fine folks in it!

So how did I find these forums??? Simple Karma!

I too read the Atari ST forums. I still own a pristine 1040 - looks like the day it rolled of the production line. Has a 4MB upgrade too. I also had an 800XL back in the day, too (1985). Great little machine. So I read the 8 bit forums too. I also like a dose of the worldofspectrum.org forums too! I'm a retro whore!

I too read the Atari ST forums. I still own a pristine 1040 - looks like the day it rolled of the production line. Has a 4MB upgrade too. I also had an 800XL back in the day, too (1985). Great little machine. So I read the 8 bit forums too. I also like a dose of the worldofspectrum.org forums too! I'm a retro whore!

Quick question. My grandfather had a 520ST and while I was supposed to get it when he died, it went off to a landfill after passing through several unwashed hands. I decided that I enjoyed it so much back then that I would not mind getting into it a bit, so I have been watching for a 1040STF or better. Are the Mega or Falcons really difficult to get, and would they be reasonably compatible with the 1040 or 520? Man, I remember programming in GFA BASIC on that thing and drawing with (I think) Degas. I remember all the COMPUTE! articles on the ST before it came out and how cool it seemed, though I went the Amiga route and have been very pleased :)

• Like 1