IGNORED

Ninja Wall Jump game - WIP

walaber

Good feedback on the score display not fitting in, I should be able to switch that to a 48-bit sprite routine...

In the meantime, here's an updated build, let me know what you think! My Harmony cart, and a few homebrew carts I ordered from here have arrived, but the actual 2600 hardware I ordered off Amazon is taking forever to arrive... so I haven't tested on hardware yet myself.

:arrow: wall_jump_ninja_20141206.bin

• Like 2

Thanks for the bug reports, I'll get those fixed up :)

I got the score using a sprite routine now, so it looks a little cleaner. I also changed the "death beam" to have new colors that hopefully look a little more menacing, and less like a waterfall :)

This was in the build above, but the title screen now also shows the status of the difficulty switches so you can make sure you're setting up the game how you want.

post-40857-0-71770000-1418007222_thumb.png post-40857-0-73503800-1418007229_thumb.png

That's one great little game, full of gameplay and with a well rounded-up feel to it.

Very nice !!!

A couple of (cosmetic) suggestions:

- for diversity in the long run, it would be neat to have varying background color patterns, say every 10 rooms (think Missile Command, etc.) Should be simple enough to implement.

- for variety on the title screen, I thought it would be cool to feature the ninja on it, continuously bouncing off the various sides of the screen and the game logo. You would have to change the color of the background then (since the ninja's also black) - like dark blue for example.

- ok, that one may be too much for your targeted 4K, but let me just drop the suggestion anyway. It's always nice to include some kind of Bonus gameplay incentive, which adds another layer to a game. How about some bonus "lampoon" occasionally appearing on a wall that the player can (but doesn't have to) grab for some reward against the risk of delaying his progress/ being caught by the death beam.

Not sure what that reward could be for the current version of this game though (the standard would be a score bonus, but since your game doesn't have one...)

Thanks for playing, and the comments!

I agree the title screen needs a little more "juice". I also like the idea of a positive pickup instead of them all being deadly. perhaps something that makes you become invulnerable for a certain amount of time or something? Might be cool if the letters "N I N J A"individually appear in rooms and if you collect them all you get some invulnerability, or a super boost that propels you several rooms forward or something.

I wish I could use a few more colors, but since I'm using the missiles for the walls, changing the color of an object will also affect the wall as well (at least for those scanlines)... I guess everything will just have to be a silhouette :)

This game is a lot of fun. My son loves it, too.

Nice job on this :)

-B

Thanks! I'm particularly happy that your son enjoys the game :)

My Atari 2600 finally arrived in the mail today, and I was able to play the game on actual hardware-- super exciting! Here's a quick video to commemorate:

https://vine.co/v/OgIbeqKAexi

I think I'm close to finished with this. I'm going to consider the positive power-up/pick-up, and maybe juice up the title screen a little, and I think it's "done". I'm really happy with how it turned out, especially the pace of the gameplay I think feels really nice and snappy.

• Like 1

quick update- I've got the positive pickup implemented. now every so often you see a floating letter [N] [N] [J] [A]. pick up all 5 and you get a brief "dash" that skips you forward several rooms. I just need to add sounds for it and I think I'll be calling this game done (after a little playtesting hopefully).

I'm bumping up against the 4K limit, but I'm pretty sure I've got room for a few more sound effects (collecting a letter + the dash itself).

I flicker the player between 1, 2, and 3 copies in order to make a crude "motion blur" effect on the ninja during the dash. perhaps I should use both P0 and P1 in order to make the spacing a bit tighter...

NINJA DASH video:

:arrow: https://vine.co/v/OXHF6rubTjF

• Like 1

This looks so flipping good and your video of it playing on-console is getting me pumped! Will this be getting a Pal release for us in down-unda?

Yeah I'd like to make a PAL version, I assume it shouldn't be too hard, just adjusting the scanline count and colors. Once the NTSC version is locked I'll work on making a PAL build.

Yeah I'd like to make a PAL version, I assume it shouldn't be too hard, just adjusting the scanline count and colors. Once the NTSC version is locked I'll work on making a PAL build.

For PAL60 you just need to change colors. Everything else is the same.

For PAL you need the scanlines and colors.

I would still like to offer the suggestion of the "motivator" being elemental.

Moving the other way, up, in reds/oranges, to look like lava erupting, or moving the way it is now in blues/greens to be water. The purple just seems odd.

I love the silhouette black against the colors. I have pictures on the wall like that.

• Like 1