IGNORED

Ninja Wall Jump game - WIP

walaber

OK I've addressed the "power up appears early and wraps around the screen" issue. unfortunately because of the way the code it set up, it now means that spikes will disappear a bit earlier than they should when you leave them behind.

Here's a "Release Candidate 2" build, if anyone has time to play test and give any additional feedback I'd really appreciate it!

:arrow: wall_jump_ninja_20141228_RC2.bin

This is looking awesome! Since the game graphics are all silhouette, what would you think about giving the ninjas some rim lighting to indicate they are being lit from behind?

And maybe the wall most in the foreground could be darker and have a wall texture/pattern on it?

Overall this is looking fantastic!!! Maybe we should change the title screen letters to match better the final font on the label? In particular the "NINJA" part.

Tonight I took on the challenge of making the code support compiling to NTSC, PAL60, and regular PAL. This involved mostly providing alternate color data, and also allowing for different scanline counts. rather than stretch the game to fill the PAL screen I opted to center the content in the middle by adding blank scanlines above and below the game content. this required more code of course, which pushed me over 4K, so I had to look around in the code for ways to optimize. I found several :)

I also fixed that there was 1 frame that wasn't the proper number of scanlines when transitioning between title screen <--> gameplay. Also required more code :)

Here is a Release Candidate 3 set of builds, in all formats. can anyone with a PAL or PAL60 system please try this out on hardware and let me know if it runs/looks OK?

:arrow: All-in-1 zip file: wall_jump_ninja_20141229_RC3.zip

:arrow: NTSC: wall_jump_ninja_20141229_RC3_NTSC.bin

:arrow: PAL: wall_jump_ninja_20141229_RC3_PAL.bin

:arrow: PAL60: wall_jump_ninja_20141229_RC3_PAL60.bin

• Like 4

I took a stab at a new logo for the title screen with a slightly more "Ninja" style font for the game, and also added the word "Ninja" in Japanese (忍者) into the logo.

thoughts?

attachicon.gifwall_jump_ninja_1.png

I like this, but it's a but hard to read. Perhaps removing the symbols, and just keeping the word "NINJA" would make it easier to read?

Great game, I've had fun playing it tonight. Several times I found myself hitting the fire button too quickly after I died and not seeing how far I got... it'd be great if you could add the highest room number (high score) to the title screen. No big deal either way, fantastic work!

Several times I found myself hitting the fire button too quickly after I died and not seeing how far I got... it'd be great if you could add the highest room number (high score) to the title screen. No big deal either way, fantastic work!

Consider that "thirded". ;)

I would love to see a high score along with AtariVox high score saving. Now that they are available in the AtariAge store again, I hope more homebrews will support it.

Awesome job on this! I do greatly prefer the previous title screen though, without the colored bar going across the screen. With or without the Japanese characters, it looks much better with an outline than with the bar.

Alrighty, here's Release Candidate 4, in NTSC + PAL60 + PAL flavors. I've adjusted the title screen one last time, simplifying it a little (and saving some ROM space in the process), which allowed me to add a best score counter on the title screen. It only lasts as long as the game has been running, as I don't have any room left in the code to squeeze in the VOX+ read/write routines :(

Or I should say that all the low-hanging fruit for reducing ROM size is basically gone, and it's getting harder and harder to find extra bytes. I know I could make it work if I had to, but for my first game I think this is passing the return-on-investment threshold for me... I'd rather start on a new game!

Here's two updated screenshots, one of the "Ninja Dash" (since I'd never posted a screen of that), and also the new title screen. BTW that score is legit (from Stella)... but don't compare it with previous versions, because the layout of the rooms has changed as a result of changing the code (the position of the walls is based on interpreting the code itself as a string of numbers that drive the placement logic).

Screens:

post-40857-0-38089400-1420093424_thumb.png post-40857-0-47024300-1420093428_thumb.png

And build(s):

:arrow: All-in-1 ZIP wall_jump_ninja_20141231_RC4.zip

:arrow: NTSC: wall_jump_ninja_20141231_RC4_NTSC.bin

:arrow: PAL: wall_jump_ninja_20141231_RC4_PAL.bin

:arrow: PAL60: wall_jump_ninja_20141231_RC4_PAL60.bin

Unless anyone reports and bugs or issues, I think these might be the final builds!

[EDIT] looking at the "Ninja Dash" screen now there's an incomplete scanline at the bottom, I'll try to patch that up for the final build :)

Edited by walaber
  • Like 4